Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Suevic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suevic

Nasher his real name was Nash and I went to the same council school as him in Monkseaton , he was about 3 years older than me and us more younger used to call him Nasher , and Shout Nasher smokes Pasher.. a few years later it must have been when the Avonmoor came into the Tyne when you were there , him and I were doing 3 days about on a dead ship ( the Avonmoor) in Drydock in Hawthorne Leslie’s. He was always late getting back ,so I used to return the
    Compliment as had a girlfriend in Wallsend who worked in the Shipping office on Newcastle quayside , but that’s another story. One of my 3 days off they had to get the ship out of the dock and onto a buoy in the river using Norwegian steam. The personnel manager woke me up in bed in my mother’s house , thought I was dreaming , the things we had to put up with, they must have got everybody they could for a few quid to help. Billy Tennants riggers were on strike . Nasher said now your here I might as well go home , not on your Nellie I said I’ve still got a day left at home. The girl friend used to catch the ferry across which was very close to the shipyard gate. Think have mentioned before . Had another 5 years with Runciman after that . Went back years later but face didn’t fit in they all thought You were after their job . What a state British shipping got into after 1966 all downhill. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th January 2022 at 10:59 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, the two we took back home to Oz were signed on as crew as I recall.
    But the chief steward said they did not need to work as we had a full crew, well sort of.
    It was an odd voyage from start to finish, but maybe as both of them were gay the need to not work was given?
    Two gay guys ion a cargo ship full of some hard case nuts and one mad Yorkshire man may have had something to do with it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Louis the fly, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coming home as DBS I volunteered to work my way back. I would not have been paid because not signed on the ship. The mate refused saying "We do not encourage deserters".
    Never understood how a person could desert from a civilian occupation.

6. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You must have been on a crew list Louis as would have to be declared at any port between A and B . Your name and designation would have appeared at the very least in the O.L.B. Your name would have appeared on the ships boat lists . Your designation then was DBS , The only other designation then was Supernumery the same as wives signed on as . Who to keep them happy and legal were paid a nominal wage of about a shilling a month to make them feel at home when giving a job such as keeping the score on the ships dartboard . You will have appeared on the ships records . JS
    R575129

8. Likes Denis O'Shea, Louis the fly liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3