Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ss richard montgomery

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ss richard montgomery

the royal navy is to take down the masts from the ss richard montgomery as it is feared if they collapse they could set of the tons of explosives and create a 15 foot type tsunami which could hit london with big damage,,,,,,cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ss richard montgomery

i hope they are better at taking down masts ....after seeing them coming along side and tying up....lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

See in the Press she is described as a Royal Navy Warship by our Shipping correspondent ???? Don't you just luv em! An American flagged (if I remember correctly) Liberty merchant ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #2
    good afternoon, whatever you end up taking down tonight and in the new year make sure you have something else to hold onto, to stop you falling over.
    have a good night and a even better new year,
    Feliz Anno Nuevo.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you no tom i have never gone out on new years eve for about 15 years ...too many tossers about honking up falling down lying in there own mess ....family come and have a drink and a couple of neighbours....heard it seen it done it ....but i wish alll on this site a happy new year and a better 22 cappy R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #5
    good afternoon, i myself have come round to the same position, and for the same reasons. But tonight we have been invited to a private party i think thirty guests, marquee in the garden to save guests spewing all over the furniture and carpets, and im turning up with a black wig and mask, it should be fun so long as nobody takes ( offence) to obvious reference, but its on fun, you might have to chip in with the bail money after the week-end,
    tom
    ps and im still not drinking, ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Cappy.
    Are they going to do it the Navy way? place explosives at the base of the mast? I can hear the calls from here evacuate, evacuate. and after all the work they have done on Big Ben.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone really thought this whole fecking fiasco through logically. Who in their right mind would ship all those bombs without making sure that they did not have the detonators intake as that would be lunacy for any shipment especially during war time. I think the logic was to store the detonators in a seperate hold to the bombs for safety sake. Not only that time would surely have worked in corroding and degrading any explosive material. How much of the supperstructure has also rusted and collapsed onto the ship. Just so over all these eddy experts coming out of the woodwork not only on the Richard Montgomery but also every other item of news. It took bloody years for the yanks to actually admit that the libererty ship was theirs for some reason back in the sixties. I personally have been out to the wreck late fifties with my two brothers in a fourteen footer and a nine horse outboard. I know bloody stupid but young and adventurous and no common sense lol. Just like to hear from those of you more knowlegable than myself of any cargo ships that carried explosives within the holds readily armed with detonators or was there a safety rule concerning this and why was this not followed if the Richard Montgomery flouted that safety rule.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les during the 11 years I worked offshore here about midterm I was working a vessel servicing a rig out of Melbourne .i had accompanied this rig on ship I had picked up in Singapore and the rig was manned from the uk who had the intellect of the North Sea . Our term of duty was 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off which you probably know. When on station the oim said he had a lot of explosives on board and due to lack of space he wanted to transfer them to my deck . I said ok it should take me a round trip of 3 days to take them ashore and get back . He said no way I want you to keep them on your deck as required I said how long for . 6 weeks he said . I said no, i’ll Take them back to storage ashore but they aren’t staying here on deck for 6 weeks. There was the usual argument and with their North Sea mentality of saying jump and you jumped didn’t realise they were under Australian rules here backed by union power who most disagree with. They found space on the rig to Keep them.
    On return to port I received two members of Australia’s best known offshore company who wanted to know why I would not comply with the rigs orders . It was one of the very view times I mentioned the piper alpha and I let fly at them and told them straight if I had of had explosives on deck at that time there would not have been any survivors , and I was chartered to do exactly the same duties. If they wanted to take it further I would inform the union of their expectations of the vessel in question.They went away with a flea in their ear. The normal procedure in the North Sea would of been i would have been relieved of my duties .There are supposed to be safety officers on this site who may have a different opinion than mine , so I hope they feel free to give the opinions they may hold . I have taken many calculated risks in my time , but have never gone Out of my way to encourage unnecessary ones. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd January 2022 at 03:28 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 There are many ships that carry explosives , any ship in port you see flying the B flag will be doing so. Their containers will be marked handle with care Explosives. Detonators will have been removed one has to believe the authority’s on that , but there are different ways to explode than a man made detonator , ask a navy clearance diver , he may or may not tell you. I never asked as didn’t want to have the knowledge of how to do. Extreme heat may, or may not, be one of them but if was am not eager to find out the hard way. Cheers JS.
    That same Australian Company I mention in previous post , is the one who are always preaching their safety ethics to the public . BHP. JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd January 2022 at 07:54 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast