Bob

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: containers collide

Just a thought….
    Saw a comment saying both going in same direction, maybe an overtaking manoeuvre.
    Back in the day a Royal Navy vessel Keddleston tried to pass a larger vessel and was sucked under the bow because it ran too close to the other vessel. Looks like this might have happened here.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: containers collide

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Stanger View Post
    Just a thought….
    Saw a comment saying both going in same direction, maybe an overtaking manoeuvre.
    Back in the day a Royal Navy vessel Kedleston tried to pass a larger vessel and was sucked under the bow because it ran too close to the other vessel. Looks like this might have happened here.
    Interaction
    I seem to remember reading about that incident,possibly at college,but can't find anything yet on Google re the HMS Kedleston.
    However,I did find in one of my books,a photo of a similar incident showing the Norwegian coaster Iris 'interacting' with the Swedish- America Line Kungsholm.Unknown year ; the caption, if not clear and taken from the book 'An Agony of Collisions' by Peter Padfield,reads- Practical proof of Interaction;the Norwegian coaster Iris,passing too close to the Swedish American liner Kungsholm,is sucked into her side.

It must have been quite a frightening experience for the coaster 's crew.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if it was 'Iris' overtaking 'Khunsholm' or vice versa, not having read the inquiry report I would plumb for the latter and the larger vessel has sucked the water from underneath the smaller vessel and acted as a magnet, just an observation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I wonder if it was 'Iris' overtaking 'Khunsholm' or vice versa, not having read the inquiry report I would plumb for the latter and the larger vessel has sucked the water from underneath the smaller vessel and acted as a magnet, just an observation.
    Point taken Ivan,although the author states in the caption Practical proof of Interaction;the Norwegian coaster Iris,passing too close to the Swedish American liner Kungsholm,is sucked into her side.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Point taken Ivan,although the author states in the caption Practical proof of Interaction;the Norwegian coaster Iris,passing too close to the Swedish American liner Kungsholm,is sucked into her side.
    Don't dispute the interaction as we have probably all experienced it in canals and enclosed dock situations and in the enclosed dock your vessel being drawn off the quay (unless you've tightened the mooring ropes) as a vessel passes in transit to or from the locks and you reconnect with the dock wall with a thud. However I cannot see the relatively small 'Iris' passing any large liner type ship in what appears to be the open sea and causing a suction effect as must assume the coaster is best proceeding 10 - 12 knots therefore the liner vessel is travelling much slower thus minimising any suction effect, but my days of hydrostatic effects have long since past, but still intrigued

9. Likes Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Based I suppose on the old theory ... for every action there is a reaction, the best example among many is the North or South Equatorial currents which set up much less counter currents but non the less there , the same as the Gulf Stream which most mariners used to affect and extra knot or so going South by getting into its counter current which was much closer to the shore. JS
    R575129

11. Likes Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: containers collide

Yes,I'm beginning to see that logic,Ivan.I got the impression that the scenario was in a channel in Continental estuarial waters rather than the open sea.I would love to see an inquiry report ,but doubt it would exist on the net.

13. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2