Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: helmsman

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: helmsman

Will have to read that one when totally sober as no doubt there will Shaw to be innuendo there somewhere which will require a clear head to understand . Oscar Wilde had many likewise followers and believe he stole a lot of his quotes from them. Am still pondering this Miss Prism bit . Think there may be a clue there. We”ll be having Xmas lunch when your still in bed ,so we’ll be in Xmas afore Ye, someone made a song about that , or similar but don’t think Miss Prism is mentioned . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th December 2021 at 10:28 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: helmsman

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    What about spot the ball , or was that only in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle ? JS
    No,it was in most regional newspapers,and I think Littlewoods or Vernons (no,not our Doc Vernon) also ran one concurrent with their regular pools coupons.
    My parents weren't really into Spot the Ball,but I did,as ayoung teenager.I didn't have a cheque book of course,so used to post off a Postal Order (whatever happened to those ?),purchased from my paper round money every week. Looking back,I used to think that it might have been a fix,the competition results checkers probably just consigning the entries to a giant shredder,after removing the cheques and P.O's ,saying "Suckers !,and taking it in turns to be the winner with one of their own entries. I know,I am so suspiciously cynical.

Littlewoods-the name has just triggered one of those tiny brain cells of mine-and I remember a fellow cadet called Littlewood.At that time we had picked up a smattering of Hindi supposedly to assist us with 'conversing'with the Indian-crewed ships-notwithstanding the fact that the crews often spoke better English than some of us did.OK ,they had an accent,but then again so do we--lots of them!
    So, cadet Littlewood became known as chota sahib logri- llittle sir (cadet)) wood think some of you, JS especially, know Hindi on here.I think the one I like the word for is toilet----castella-no,not a cigar!, and as the word for water is pani then the name for the 1815 battle,or indeed that major London railway station is pani castella , which is what I still call Waterloo today !

I must really cut down on all this posting,or I'll be catching up to a currently absent prodigious blogger....

Cheers!
    Graham
    Xmas Garland (2).gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will have to read that one when totally sober as no doubt there will Shaw to be innuendo there somewhere which will require a clear head to understand . Oscar Wilde had many likewise followers and believe he stole a lot of his quotes from them. Am still pondering this Miss Prism bit . Think there may be a clue there. We”ll be having Xmas lunch when your still in bed ,so we’ll be in Xmas afore Ye, someone made a song about that , or similar but don’t think Miss Prism is mentioned . Cheers JS.
    Yes,the usual Shavian wit-or crap ,John !

Anyway,a Very Merry Christmas to You,Yours and Everybody in the Antipodes !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post

I must really cut down on all this posting,or I'll be catching up to a currently absent prodigious blogger....

Cheers!
    Graham
    Xmas Garland (2).gif
    Well look on the bright side, at least yours make sense! well most of the time anyway, and we would miss yours

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: helmsman

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Well look on the bright side, at least yours make sense! well most of the time anyway, and we would miss yours
    Ha Ha Ha Ivan !, well,some of the time.ROFL Santa (2).jpg

Merry Christmas to You on the the balmy palmy Devon Riviera!

bow.gif

I'm Going off air( or off line !) now for a while,so MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE !

Best Wishes
    Graham
    Xmas PC (2).gif

7. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes indeed your Shavian wit or crap , bears a strong resemblance to someone probably being constipated , probably me, so that calls for another beer . Cheers JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes indeed your Shavian wit or crap , bears a strong resemblance to someone probably being constipated , probably me, so that calls for another beer . Cheers JS .
    are you up on the roof then john.......cappy

10. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As to Littlewoods pools and spot the ball. I explained many years ago how to win nearly nine times out of 10 . How do you think I am so well off . All you need is a ruler marked in millimetres that queer French measurement. Measure along the top of the photograph and pencil a dot at every mark, do the same down the side of the photo and do the same . Now take your ruler and join up the dots upright and athwartships and you finish up with a myriad of pencilled in minute squares , now here comes the hard part , take a pin and proceed to stick it in every square with your ear well cocked, and when you hear psssshhhh that’s it you’ve found it. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could be Cappy if there was a bikini clad young lady next door sunbathing . I never get that sort of luck. JS
    R575129

13. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    No,it was in most regional newspapers,and I think Littlewoods or Vernons (no,not our Doc Vernon) also ran one concurrent with their regular pools coupons.
    My parents weren't really into Spot the Ball,but I did,as ayoung teenager.I didn't have a cheque book of course,so used to post off a Postal Order (whatever happened to those ?),purchased from my paper round money every week. Looking back,I used to think that it might have been a fix,the competition results checkers probably just consigning the entries to a giant shredder,after removing the cheques and P.O's ,saying "Suckers !,and taking it in turns to be the winner with one of their own entries. I know,I am so suspiciously cynical.

Littlewoods-the name has just triggered one of those tiny brain cells of mine-and I remember a fellow cadet called Littlewood.At that time we had picked up a smattering of Hindi supposedly to assist us with 'conversing'with the Indian-crewed ships-notwithstanding the fact that the crews often spoke better English than some of us did.OK ,they had an accent,but then again so do we--lots of them!
    So, cadet Littlewood became known as chota sahib logri- llittle sir (cadet)) wood think some of you, JS especially, know Hindi on here.I think the one I like the word for is toilet----castella-no,not a cigar!, and as the word for water is pani then the name for the 1815 battle,or indeed that major London railway station is pani castella , which is what I still call Waterloo today !

Cheers!
    Graham
    Xmas Garland (2).gif
    There was a story in Brocklebanks of three Indian crew sent from London to Liverpool. They got off the train at Crewe but missed their connection. They were confused and were gathered up by the police who rang our head office. 'We have three of your seamen here. We understand they are the Munta brothers. They give their names as: Canna Munta, Bibby Munta, and Castella Munta . . .
    Harry Nicholson

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast