Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doesn’t anyone know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Doesn’t anyone know.

When the last square rigged masters certificate was issued ?
    Are there any persons still alive holding such today ?
    What is the certificate required to sail such a vessel today ?
    I would assume that there is no one capable of examining a candidate to hold such today ?
    The title of this should be Does Anyone Know , and not Doesn’t .
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th November 2021 at 06:00 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Doesn’t anyone know.

john i think john briggs was master sadly he passed away a couple of years ago in Australia ? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 John I sailed with a couple who reputedly had square rigged certificates , but they were in their 60s when I was in my teens. I would of thought they were the last of a dying breed. At least one of our members has a yacht masters certificate so he may be able to throw some light on the subject. As most probably may have cropped up in their conversations when together. I don’t even know if there are any 3 or 4 masted vessels , square rigged on at least 3 still around , if there are they will probably being utilised as sail training ships , but will they have to be manned with the old certificate structure ?? ? Is just curiosity on my part , my middle name is nosey Parker. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th November 2021 at 08:39 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Doesn’t anyone know.

JS Re Yr. #1. I only ever recall sailing with someone with a 'Sailing certificate of Competency-don't know what grade he had,but would have thought it to have been a Master's.This would have been on my first trip as cadet in 1969 and he was quite an elderly man sailing as 'coasting 2nd Mate.A real gent as I remember,who smoked a pipe and I did a few 12-4's plus a cargo watch with him,from Glasgow round to Liverpool. For those non-seafarers who may not know what a coasting mate or master was,British ships in the bigger companies would often employ such coasting 'mates' to supplement or relieve the 'deep-sea' staff whilst the vessel was in the U.K.It seems an ancient custom now ,and I wish I had learnt more about him -but then I suppose in 1969 everything about the British MN as we knew it was either being swept away or being radically altered. I used to gaze in awe at container ships (lol) and thought what huge ships they were--today of course they would look like ship's lifeboats next to the leviathans we have now and when I saw the QE2 in Table Bay on her maiden world cruise,I think, I thought she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen-apart from Anne Pilling in her miniskirt from my school 3rd form.

I think the Engineers also had coasting personnel,although not with a Sailing 'ticket',although you never know.
    Cheers !
    Graham

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think I may have known Ann Pillings mother !!!??? JS
    R575129

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Think I may have known Ann Pillings mother !!!??? JS
    well everybody else did ....but i think it was her granny you new lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 That port relief officer I fell foul of about 1960. I was sent down to relieve the 2 mate who was going back out on the ship. I was doing all the nights on board then worth a pound a night to let him get home . On getting home with my loot about 15 quid was called into the office and told I had been overpaid , and like a muggings not knowing any better gave them back the 15 quid. As being brainwashed into thinking they could do no wrong believed them. On referring this to Numast they said inexplicably you are not a port relieve officer you are an active seagoing member and wanted to go after them for the money back.But being the good company servant I was then refused them to go after the owners. If the same happened today I would of had their guts for garters, all part of growing up learning from experience I suppose. That small incident taught me to never trust anyone when it came to money and the shipowner. If I ever had an entertainment allowance and didn’t use it for its intended purpose , then I used to go out of my way to entertain myself. This entertaining customs and port health at my own expense was for the birds, Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th November 2021 at 09:32 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6... Thanks Cappy are you inferring that I met her at a grab a granny night at the Rex Ballroom. Will have to ask Brian K if he knew her. Your likes and thanks have disappeared , so having to reply the hard way. Cheers Q&E JS

PS the two remarks have now re-appeared on your post . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th November 2021 at 09:49 AM.
    R575129

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #1
    good morning, there are plenty of sailing enterprises around the world whom will train you, and in this country there is i believe a ticket for commercial yacht code, which covers sail.obviously your certification will be under M.C.A and B.O.T commercial yacht code, i know this as my mate is a yachtie whom took his ticket for 200t and over and is now on the tugs in the mersey. so i dont believe that holding a masters certificate in sail is as rare as you may think.
    tom

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Thomas, I was looking more along the Lines of thinking that when I first went to sea a master with a square rigged ticket could go master on a steamship. But the master of a steamship could not go master in sail without the square rigged ticket , this was on mercantile vessels carrying cargo of course. The laws appertaining to certification obviously must have been changed along the way somewhere but I being a man of leisure have had no desire to find out , until now with time on my hands so to speak. Cheers JS.
    R575129

15. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast