Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tate and Lyle

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tate and Lyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Trehearne View Post
    Strange how company names and products bring back childhood memories. T & L paper bags of sugar had printed on "Untouched by human hands". As kids we questioned whose hands really had touched the contents. Never did find out.
    Ken T
    R412277
    I went ashore in Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic), walking past a warehouse with big doors wide open. There was a huge pile of brown sugar which was being worked with a large Caterpillar wheeled loader which dripped oil all over, rats running around the pile. So - totally untouched by human hands.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined the Durham Trader in Victoria docks in 1962, we were still discharging sugar from Cuba, and you may recall in those days , all ships toilets were locked and had to use shore toilets. We discharging in to barges on one side, and during the night someone had really been caught short, had used the toilet, and did a nice dump job, right into the barge. There was a bit if kafuffle from the skipper etc, and we were informed the whole barge load was condemned, yea, i bet, probably took a scoop full of the top at best, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i did a job in tates old house in south liverpool sammy lee now lives there wonderful inside hardwood molding ? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they lived next door to each other grade two listed buildings very posh;;;jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was back in the early 70's there was a sudden shortage of sugar.

People were going mad in the shops trying to find some.

Went on for a few weeks if I recall correctly, managed to get some sugar lumps but no idea why as I do not use sugar.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You thought that you could make a killing John! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

as a kid in the 50s we would jump on the back of the horse and carts along the dock road with sweet bags and get brown sugar out of the sacks what days we walked miles back to the sugar berth from t and l s jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Similar with the old marsden ratttler coming from whitburn down to shields past our house ...we would get aboard the last carrier and chuck coal back on the line .....then spend ages walking back up the line filling a sack with the coal ......sometimes for our house and sometimes for an old couple next door who would pay us a shilling or so.....my old man said if we got caught he would bray us lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    The one I remember Ken was the 1d. Oxo cube it was always 1d. As long as I can remember. Until..!!!!!§§??? Decimalisation when 240 pence to the pound was suddenly 100 . Then wham the old oxo cube was suddenly 2.5p. Who says there was no huge fiddles on the change over ?
    However re. Tate and Lisles when they are mentioned I always tend to think of Lisles as think , and I maybe wrong, it was them who took over the Baron Line ? If not Baron Line was some other well known tramp company.
    As regards untouched by human hands if you got through your childhood with no skin complaints then you were lucky. Cheers JS
    John, When we were coming out of lockdown this year and you could have a pint as long as you social distanced and had a meal, I had a pint in the Caradoc one Saturday afternoon as i was handed my pint i was asked to take an oxo from a bloody big stack on the bar i hate them things i said just take it and put it back when you leave its your square meal with the pint
    {terry scouse}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2