Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Channel 5

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks (Given)
    696
    Thanks (Received)
    4893
    Likes (Given)
    12179
    Likes (Received)
    14483

    Default Channel 5

    Tonight at 19:00 the above channel is broadcasting a programme named secrets of the 'River Clyde' it will reveal how the River has been at the heart of UK shipbuilding.
    Vic

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    99
    Thanks (Given)
    49
    Thanks (Received)
    77
    Likes (Given)
    361
    Likes (Received)
    439

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Thanks for that Vic, hadn't noticed it was on, will have to to put it on the planner.
    Regards Michael

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,666
    Thanks (Given)
    2049
    Thanks (Received)
    3243
    Likes (Given)
    10706
    Likes (Received)
    12479

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Was this fact, Or did i dream it, Serious question can i remember hauling myself across the Clyde in a small boat attached to a line from one side to the other. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Eaton
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks (Given)
    696
    Thanks (Received)
    4893
    Likes (Given)
    12179
    Likes (Received)
    14483

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Ted, River Clyde was UK's top shipbuilding River.
    Vic

  5. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida Ex Glasgow pool.
    Posts
    439
    Thanks (Given)
    163
    Thanks (Received)
    117
    Likes (Given)
    233
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Was this fact, Or did i dream it, Serious question can i remember hauling myself across the Clyde in a small boat attached to a line from one side to the other. Terry.
    That may have been the Govan ferry Ted although I believe it was chains that pulled it back and forth.
    Duke Drennan R809731

  7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    966
    Thanks (Given)
    1857
    Thanks (Received)
    892
    Likes (Given)
    8400
    Likes (Received)
    4208

    Default Re: Channel 5

    #1, What a rare wee film Vic enjoyed it immensly. Will try and find a link for those across the ocean.

    The entire Rock family mentioned in the blitz were killed, all 13 of them.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Blue Mountains NSW
    Posts
    22,100
    Thanks (Given)
    35993
    Thanks (Received)
    11579
    Likes (Given)
    43512
    Likes (Received)
    31935

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Would like a Link if at all possible for here Downunder! Marian
    Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

    R697530

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    W.A.
    Posts
    18,713
    Thanks (Given)
    10196
    Thanks (Received)
    10723
    Likes (Given)
    14981
    Likes (Received)
    56003

    Default Re: Channel 5

    #3 wasn’t the chain ferry at General Terminus was it Ted. Think after that the bridges were that low think shipping would be barred. 0n the other side of the river to the ore carriers was the home from home Betty’s Bar. Home to many waifs and strays . Better to go for a church though if searching for refuge.Maybe it was before they modernised the ferry by putting the chains on .Cheers JS.
    R575129

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    CHESTER LE STREET
    Posts
    1,504
    Thanks (Given)
    501
    Thanks (Received)
    794
    Likes (Given)
    8957
    Likes (Received)
    5277

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #3 wasn’t the chain ferry at General Terminus was it Ted. Think after that the bridges were that low think shipping would be barred. 0n the other side of the river to the ore carriers was the home from home Betty’s Bar. Home to many waifs and strays . Better to go for a church though if searching for refuge.Maybe it was before they modernised the ferry by putting the chains on .Cheers JS.
    There was a chain ferry at Old Kilpatrick - Erskine before they built the Erskine bridge

  12. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    10,371
    Thanks (Given)
    3168
    Thanks (Received)
    6650
    Likes (Given)
    10097
    Likes (Received)
    28344

    Default Re: Channel 5

    Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    #1, What a rare wee film Vic enjoyed it immensly. Will try and find a link for those across the ocean.

    The entire Rock family mentioned in the blitz were killed, all 13 of them.
    Alas as their friend said, They refused to use the shelters as they considered them unsafe, and parent's decisions were law in those days, sometimes you don't get a second chance to rectify a mistake, very sad

  14. Thanks Marian Gray thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •