Thread: Bomb disposal work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bomb disposal work

Survey work has started to discover if there are any dangerous unexploded ordnance remaining on a WW2 shipwreck off sheerness.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerne...-wreck-256039/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bomb disposal work

Notice the survey company's founder is called Prophet, may be a good time to stay away when they start, as we know what happened to other prophets!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2. Wonder if he has anyone called Seer working for him ? What a team that would be ! JS
    An absolute true story and I was there . 1957 after passing for 2 nd. Mate had to do a Radar Observers course in South Shields , Radar wasn’t as common on ships as it is today and was all head up the tube plotting .
    Three of us had to enrol at the old marine school in Ocean Road , the fancy one wasn’t even built then.
    My erstwhile 2 companions were called Cock and Balls . There was a dolly bird behind the receptionists desk , and when asked for their particulars for enrolment Balls managed ok, when Cock had to give his name I could see the back of his neck turning crimson, he just couldn’t do it and said Cox. He must sometime have had to go and change this probably when the girl was relieved by a male otherwise his certificate would have been US. I heard later that the same two had joined a ship as 2 and 3 mates , and thinking of Balls calling Cock to be relieved at midnight used to bust out laughing when thinking of Balls calling Cock, “ come on old Cock get up” and Cock
    saying half asleep ” eff off Balls “. JS ...

PS#2 Or even someone called just think for advertisement purposes Proprietors Prophet and Loss. And maybe later & Sons. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st October 2021 at 11:57 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Notice the survey company's founder is called Prophet, may be a good time to stay away when they start, as we know what happened to other prophets!
    Thankfully a lot are in the mid east now, though have heard there may be a collection in Birmingham
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whilst serving on the QE2 in the 70's, in the Galley we had Mervyn Stiff and William Dick, the amusement was endless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R868356 View Post
    Whilst serving on the QE2 in the 70's, in the Galley we had Mervyn Stiff and William Dick, the amusement was endless.
    Can't beat that,Mike,but my GP a decade or so ago was a Dr.Alison KNEEBONE but she was also married to her husband,also a Doctor who worked somewhere in a hospital .So you could truthfully say they really were a couple of old Kneebones

There's more! My current GP is a Ms.Ruth SNOWBALL !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Can't beat that,Mike,but my GP a decade or so ago was a Dr.Alison KNEEBONE but she was also married to her husband,also a Doctor who worked somewhere in a hospital .So you could truthfully say they really were a couple of old Kneebones

There's more! My current GP is a Ms.Ruth SNOWBALL !
    Being female that is maybe a better name than just Balls.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

one of my cousins were sappers he told me they invented the track vehicle the first had a shot gun attachment but its a pity they never patent it ? true they made it out of old land rover parts? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JA'
    I started my years pre-sea at So Shilelds in April 1957, at the new college at Westoe Road, but we still went to Ocean Road for Radio stuff.
    A great year there. My digs were at Trajan Street on the Law Top, facing the NorthSea - attic room in winter - cold lino and iced up window. I remember the trolley busses with wooden slatted seats.
    Dave Goodwin
    R692588

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10 . David I attended the pre-sea school at Westhoe in 1952 for about 6 months until 16. It was an old youth hostel I believe. On going ashore in 1957 for 2nd. Mates I attended Nellists in Newcastle so didn’t have to use the ferry. I only learned about the new building in Westhoe when I had to attend there for masters in 1963. In between times any dealings with South Shields was done through Ocean Road. The only reason I attended there for masters was because the two Nellist brothers were dead. When was the new South Shields Marine School officially opened ? Cheers JS.
    R575129