Thread: container ship napoli

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default container ship napoli

I found this you tube clip very informative as to the cause of its problems. These ships were after my time at sea, but i was involved in this one from a shoreside operation, several containers washed up here on the Island. I can see the real problem withe loading of containers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWN5Bdvn-08
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: container ship napoli

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    As a mere landlubber I'm flabbergasted by that Keith. Surely heads rolled or am I being naive

That is a good explanatory video of Keith's. Wish they had videos like that when we were at college! Would have made the learning process much easier....
    You're becoming quite a knowledgeable maritime expert now Marian !Here's a weighty report as usual from the MAIB Report- MSC NAPOLI.I won't read it yet,but as always I will do so tucked up in my bunk on a stormy night with a mug of cocoa! (as if!) My 'Hornblower' novel must wait........
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 10th October 2021 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: container ship napoli

Marian3, the loading of shipping was way above my remit as an AB, but when i see these monsters in the Solent, it gives me thought on how safe they really are. One of the questions i have asked, as an ex Fire officer, the loading of dangerous chemicals, are they loaded in preference so they can be accessed easily ?, how would they manage if one was to generate a fire at sea ?. I knew all ships have stretch plates to a degree, but that was an interesting vid, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: container ship napoli

Honorary Captain Marian # 7..There will be few more qualified than I members on here,to conjecture/lecture/waffle/cut and paste on the causes and the legacies of the incident..I can only put forward these findings of the World Maritime Executive Committee (WMEC-or was it the WC or the W.I.-no,silly me it was definitely the WMEC,unless they've changed it again..

'Container Weights and Locations The loading and ballasting condition of the containers onboard the vessel was analysied post incident and it was found that 7% of the containers on the deck were found to not be in the same position or the same container as shown in the loading plan, in addition, of the deck containers, 20% of these were found to be more than 3t different from their declared weight. Both these factors leading to inaccuracy in the load condition used to determine the stability and bending moment affecting the vessel, and would possibly have increased the bending moment of the vessel still further towards her seagoing limits.
    Summary As can be seen, a combination of possible excessive speed in the prevailing environmental conditions, lack of strutural analysis of the entire hull, or at least the area of change of framing prior to building, the operation of the vessel close to or above the permissible seagoing bending moment combined with innacurate information about container distribution and weight onboard possibly exacerabating the problem, and the effect of slamming and whipping on the hull form in heavy weather may well have all been instrumental when coming together to cause the failure of the hull on the ‘MSC Napoli’.

So there we have it,or rather we don't .I don't think any lessons will have been learned,I mean containers will still be loaded with incorrect weights, manifest error re contents and wrong stowage slot locations etc.etc.

All the fun has gone out of shipping....
    I'm going to read another chapter of my trusty ' Hornblower now.

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Keith. All declared haz mat containers (normally 20 footers) are loaded outboard at the most forward position, usually in way of No’s 1 and 2 hatches. The intention is not to attempt to fight the fire, but rather to release the lashing bars and rolled the offending container over the side. General Average comes into play as cargo lost for the good of the vessel and the rest of the cargo. Obnoxious cargo content containers are far forward also.
    Quite a while back ( about 30 years ago ) I worked the “ZIM MONTREAL” container vessel, when she arrived LA with a below deck fire in a 20 ft Unit about two tiers down. Turned out to be loaded with cartons Restaurant Dry Goods supplies, napkins, chopsticks, menu’s. They failed to declare that there was also a large block stow of logo boxes of match sticks buried in the stow that set on fire due to friction in ocean transit ! Managed to burn and collapse adjacent containers above, below and both sides as well as use up the ship’s entire CO2 supply ! Container crane operators couldn’t see the stow due to continuous heavy smoke so had to keep fire hoses going which flooded the hold as not allowed to pump the contaminated water over the side. Heck of a mess, especially to a multiple heavy container shipments of YAMAHA pianos and CB radios in lower stow. Multiple claims for smoke damage in addition to water and heat damage. I dumped the final report a few years back so i no longer have the details. The report was 6 inches thick plus what would have been a 12 inch high stack of Preliminary reports for each damage claimed container. At the time i had no idea i would end my working life actually sailing on a container ship ! Cheers !
    Last edited by Keith Adams; 10th October 2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling. Details

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know speaking with my neighbor who works the dock side cranes in Port Melbourne the weight and contents do not always match the manifest.
    The majority are close to being correct but some particularly from some third world countries miss the mark bay along way.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Graham Shaw, Denis O'Shea liked this post