Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fishing boat enquiry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fishing boat enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bodiam View Post
    I did not know about this until i read the news snippet today. Very tragic and hard to believe in today's world with all modern equipment.
    Was it this incident that "Vigil" the t.v. show was based on?
    The suspicion is that it was based on a trawler lost in the Irish Sea. As soon as it was on TV there were folks close to the community who were condemning the plot as tasteless. The major problem is that when a trawler has fouled up on anything and due to poor stability sinks everyone assumes it was a nasty submarine that did it. Understandably perhaps nobody close to the trawler or the community wants to accept that it could have been poor seamanship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the one in the Irish sea the Solway Harvester was at first blamed on a Sub, but reading the report she was lost due to weather and a poorly trained/inexperienced crew.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...ary-report.pdf

3. Thanks Graham Shaw, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Not any at my time at sea, you signed Articles for 2 years and could be on board for 27th months if the vessel was scheduled to load for the UK on the expiry of the 24 months. We had no control over where the vessel went during that period. If you wanted to go home in that period, you paid your own fare home as well as your replacements fare to relieve you, plus any hotel bill he may have incurred. If you were stuck trading in the Far East then the airfare was equivalent to a years wages as a lowly 3/m.

I was away 22 months and was away two consecutive 5th Aprils, so got a years salary tax free, wasn't a whole hill of beans, but I wasn't able to 'work' the system and never met anyone who could. I sailed with poor buggers who signed on at a 6th April and signed off the following 4th April and never got a penny rebate, but that was the system and we lived with it on British flagged vessels. Those who sailed on FOC may have been able to work the system, I wouldn't know.
    During the 80's I did a couple of years on a FOC ship, she was British officers and Philippine ratings. I joined her in Vancouver, never went anywhere near the UK and paid off in Brazil (Paranagua). When I went to sign off there was wads of US Dollars on the old mans desk, this was my pay off. The company, based in Monaco were no longer paying into UK based accounts for whatever reason? There was no way this was going into my baggage on the flight home, so nipped ashore and bought a rucksack. I was somewhat concerned about the Customs at Heathrow but in the event went straight through without any checks. I wouldn't say I was 'working the system' at the time although by default it could be said I had?

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No electronic transfers at that time then?
    You could've wired it to where you wanted it go.
    American express were always useful for that sort of thing as I used their services myself at times even though I wasn't American.
    Always helpful I found even kept mail; for me and sent it on to where I wanted it go when informed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never had enough money to send either by post or wireless , but they still screwed me for 65 pounds tax when I emigrated, oh to be a millionaire or politician.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des you got done mate, it cost us nothing to come to Oz as immigrants.
    All paid for by the Oz gov.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only know about the wire transfer because when I was being kicked out of South Africa I didn't have the fare to depart.
    A hurried sale of my trusty VW which I'd left in Oz and a funds transfer enabled me to actually board the only ship sailing from Durban in the time frame I was given. Definitely not a fishing boat!
    Had I been 10 mins. later my husband would've sailed off and I'd probably been in detention.......life can be interesting at times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nigel there were a couple of ships I was on in 1987 when I filled in a year on a shortage of jobs in the North Sea , unfortuanetley I cant tell you their names as have forgotten them , anyhow I wore a money belt especially purchased for such , one would think I would remember their names. They were yugoslav owned but managed by a company in the Midlands and I got the job in my local pub at home. Can remember the ships no bother on the trips , the first one was taken China clay to Italy from Poole or somewhere and bringing Salt back from think it was Ibizia to Belfast, with bits and pieces in between. The next one was taken general from France to the States , then down to the American Base come prison in Cuba , then down to Georgetown in the Macenzie River, should remember as got boarded by pirates, and loaded think it was flour for Italy. Loaded in Italy for Southern Ireland where I had had enough and went home. I wont say down by the head with money, but enough to keep the wolf from the door, until the next job. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th October 2021 at 08:12 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Des you got done mate, it cost us nothing to come to Oz as immigrants.
    All paid for by the Oz gov.
    Hi John.
    Cost me nothing to go to NZ they paid, it was the Pommy Govt that robbed me, reckoned I owed the tax from Sundays at sea. pay up or you don't sail. I had all my pay slips but they were down the hold in a suitcase, she was sailing in half an hour.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 16th October 2021 at 12:58 AM.
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They didn’t want to let you go Des , as said in a previous post Between being made redundant in uk and going back to work was a matter of days , but was advised to make a claim for dole which I did . Coming home after the two nameless ships recently mentioned received a demand note from HM government for the repayment of these few days dole. I took it further on a matter of principle. Their last word was we shall just take it out of your OAP then. My uk OAP is 72 pounds a week and has been since 2002 .Whether they took it out or not don’t know , maybe they needed the money more than me. Will always say was I have been back a few times just to see friends and family and does nothing for me, but we are all different I suppose . Cheers JS.

The brewery trade what is left of it , when perusing the bottom of the glass and listening to the conversation going on around you hasn’t changed in 60 odd years , the usual talk about weather. Makes one wonder with so many experts why Britain isn’t leading the world in climate change. Cheers JS

PS When I used to do the ships accounts almost sure I taxed the Leave pay also . It was all in the tables where you took the tax owing from. Maybe they got you on a double Whammy Des . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th October 2021 at 01:41 AM.
    R575129

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast