Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Interesting for the navigators

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Interesting for the navigators

Being a relative newcomer to Australia and arriving here permanentally in 1991 if remember correctly it was down tools and go home to outside workers when it got to 35 degrees . Two days ago I was surprised to see road workers out and working when it was 43. Are people already starting to acclimatise to weather conditions or have the unions who fought for such conditions just ceded to the local administration for roads ? JS
    R575129

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going back to stellar navigation it all sounds easy and straight forward , there is one thing nautical schools can’t teach you and that is experience. This has to come to each individual and depends on his seatime in that position. It takes years to be able to recognise heavenly bodies , ( Marylin Monroe excepted ) to be able to find the stars you can work with , as every night or early morning their relative position to your ship has changed. One has to learn also their expected position by reference to other stars and planets that you already recognise. I certainly don’t agree with some countries getting certificates without seatime first. The same as I don’t believe in putting the cart before the horse. JS
    R575129

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can recall many years ago in Uk in the ;Smiths' factory making speedos for cars.
    If temp went over 20 degrees they had to be given a glass of saline.

But here in Oz now the union rules see them get big bucks to work under rough conditions.

Here in Victoria the guy who holds up the 'Stop/Go' sign at roadworks is paid the same as others in building, that is $120,000 per annum.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#22 Mike I find Lord West’s statement about being worried about communications and other things being behind the times today being a bit late with his information. In 1961/62 and during the Cuban crisis when war seemed most probable I can say for myself and many others who did the MN Defense course were all aware of the circumstances being the same.
    It was stressed that radio communications would be unavailable and if lucky would receive one word to warn you that war was declared , the sealed orders were in every British ship carried them in the Masters Safe. Your instructions were inside and depending on what part of the world you were in your destination was given where it was hoped you would meet up to make a convoy. That in rough was the idea. On being attacked it was expected that 2 thirds of the UK would be wiped out after the first nuclear strike. No ports in the uk would be workable . The losses to shipping was similar to losses ashore by airborne nuclear blasts and it was all grim news . This was 60 odd years ago so find it hard to believe that our MOD are unaware of the present situation. Today we have the added burden and for survivors if there are any GPS positions will not be there any more as the satellites will be one of the first targets. So what Lord West says is perfectly true , but not it appears to some people. At least they will die in ignorance . Cheers JS.
    Those at sea during those years may have wondered what were in boxes under the forecastle head they were put on board by the Admiralty and contained code flags and instruments for measuring a persons rotogens if they had been in contact with radioactivity . If above a certain level you were believed beyond repair so any outside work you had it . The only slight guard you had was to put as many bulkheads between self and outside atmosphere. And running water over all the outside steel structure of the ship. Today what if any new technology they have is probably still on the secret list , but reading Lord Wests report seems very little if any . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd March 2024 at 09:41 AM.
    R575129

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6