Any one know the names?
    Pubs, not the girls 😂

Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pubs in Portsmouth you would find a prostitute in WW2

I would think by now most of the ones we may have met in our time would be well past it so little point in looking.
    But of course most of the members may well also be past it, bed time that is of course.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of us are like a good wine John and mature and get better with age. Some gulp it down as want to get the money on the bottle back as quick as possible instead of savouring it. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may be better off asking that question on a Royal Navy site, or searching the Town Council Records or even the Library records, MN personnel tended to steer clear of RN frequented pubs, as the RN didn't like people who had actually been to sea ruining their chat-up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The old Camden Hotel in Portsea used to be a place one could get a Lady.
    It was later used as a Royal Navy Hostel , possibly because of its nature when open! LOL
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I drink with Navy People every first thursday of the month during Happy Hour , there are two recent newcomers to site about the same time as me last August man and wife , both ex Navy, and look a lot younger than me , although I spent quite a bit of time in Portsmouth after the first pub I cant remember the names of such. I can probably get a list of most pubs the Navy drank at if I ask them. One I used to start off in I only think it was called the Castle but may be wrong. Portsmouth was a military town so had numerous pubs. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards Houses or pubs of ill repute the American occupation Authoritys in Japan in the 50s had the best way of handling the disease and crime wave that usually follows in the steps of large military groups. The many thousands of pubs in japan that catered for foreigners outside of themselves were issued with an A or B licence . The Japanese kept to their own bars and were usually marked Japanese ownly, how would that go down today with all these weird groups, The others bars if they were marked B were not for american troops , and if found in same by shore patrols finished up in the lock up. They had been found out by doctors not to be issued with a clean bill of health or crime had been committed on their premises. The A bars were issued with a clean bill of health. This was on every door of these pubs and I doubt it was very few Merchant seamen noticed. Those that did know like myself always made for The B bars as knew there would be no troops there and the prices would not be exorbidant for the beer. If a shore patrol came in we showed our passes and as were civilians they had no civil authority over us and left. The only time I saw different to this was in Kobe when a lone British destroyer was in port and her shore patrol consisted of 5 men. They came into the bar and when saw we were British closed and locked the door and stayed in the pub with us saying there were too many yanks outside. They paid their way tarpaulin muster and all. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert George Young View Post
    Any one know the names?
    Pubs, not the girls ��

Thank you
    Hi Rob, The Jolly Sailor, Is the place you want, I took a loverly young lady home one night, Even got a large scotch before she took me to bed and tea and toast the next morning, Well my dear its time for me to head of, This is the part i hate she said what's that part i said the money she said would £1 be ok with you .................................................. ..... Put your purse away dear i wouldn't hear of it i never expect getting paid for services
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 10th July 2021 at 01:58 PM.
    {terry scouse}

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What’s a prostitute ? JS

I did hear that one President of the USA said one time “ What we want is Institution, Constituition , and prosp... perity , was nearly there but not quite . JS .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th July 2021 at 02:06 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was born on Hayling Island (next to Portsmouth) and can remember most of the old Boozers and where you could find some "entertainment" the one that stands out for me was the Criterion (near the station) long gone now, the ladies used to sit on bar stools with there legs crossed and the price on a label on the bottom of there shoe.
    The other picture shows 5 pubs in a row on Portsmouth Hard where you could get just about anything you wanted if you asked.
    There was of course numerous others most of which have disappeared now.

Pub2.jpg
    Pub1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast