Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing books

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Missing books

I recently got some new neighbours; they are Hindu Indians and a very charming family of three.
    They were delighted to hear a few words from me in Hindustani and this has rekindled my interest in the language, which I learned a smattering of so many years ago as a junior officer with the Clan Line.
    I learned it mainly from a book called “The Malim Sahibs Hindustani”. But like most books which you lend to friends you never see them again.
    I would like to have a copy and could order one through Amazon but the price including postage is exorbitant. So, if any of you have a copy that you no longer want please let me know and perhaps I can buy it from you.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Missing books

Quote Originally Posted by John T Morgan View Post
    I recently got some new neighbours; they are Hindu Indians and a very charming family of three.
    They were delighted to hear a few words from me in Hindustani and this has rekindled my interest in the language, which I learned a smattering of so many years ago as a junior officer with the Clan Line.
    I learned it mainly from a book called “The Malim Sahibs Hindustani”. But like most books which you lend to friends you never see them again.
    I would like to have a copy and could order one through Amazon but the price including postage is exorbitant. So, if any of you have a copy that you no longer want please let me know and perhaps I can buy it from you.
    Namaste Sahib.Aap Kaisse Hai?.
    Sorry,mate I lost mine years ago,There's one here on E-Bay-not a bad price with free 2 day delivery,for a rare,long- out -of -print book,apparently in VG condition-(Bahut atcha condition,sahib).Go on mate,treat yourself,the memsahib will never know.Tell her it cost a fiver. Tik Hai ! CLICK HERE

4. Thanks John T Morgan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Missing books

[QUOTE=Graham Shaw;379143]Namaste Sahib.Aap Kaisse Hai?.
    Sorry,mate I lost mine years ago,There's one here on E-Bay-not a bad price with free 2 day delivery,for a rare,long- out -of -print book,apparently in VG condition-(Bahut atcha condition,sahib).Go on mate,treat yourself,the memsahib will never know.Tell her it cost a fiver. Tik Hai ! [

Thanks for your reply and info, I've tried them but they don't post to Canada, I'll try E Bay here

6. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Namaste Sahib.Aap Kaisse Hai?.
    Sorry,mate I lost mine years ago,There's one here on E-Bay-not a bad price with free 2 day delivery,for a rare,long- out -of -print book,apparently in VG condition-(Bahut atcha condition,sahib).Go on mate,treat yourself,the memsahib will never know.Tell her it cost a fiver. Tik Hai ! CLICK HERE
    £20.81 on Amazon

8. Thanks John T Morgan, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to thank you for your efforts and advice, I have ordered a used copy from Amazon Canada, Shipped from UK.
    Total cost including postage 46.63 Canadian =27.09 UK
    Estimated delivery July 13 to August 8.
    Sellers description:
    Condition: Used - Very Good - The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged. Our estimated delivery is between 5-14 working days however we ask you to allow up to 21, due to delays currently with Canadian post.

This apparently is the only one available. I look forward to July 13.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry John.I should have noticed you are a Canadian resident.I'm surprised that World Books,the sellers,don't post to Canada because they have a good reputation otherwise.Good luck,I feel someone will let you have one.If I had one I would give it and send it free to you,which is what someone did for a shipmate of mine here on site who sent a book from Aussie a few years ago. Best Regards Graham.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John T Morgan View Post
    I want to thank you for your efforts and advice, I have ordered a used copy from Amazon Canada, Shipped from UK.
    Total cost including postage 46.63 Canadian =27.09 UK
    Estimated delivery July 13 to August 8.
    Sellers description:
    Condition: Used - Very Good - The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged. Our estimated delivery is between 5-14 working days however we ask you to allow up to 21, due to delays currently with Canadian post.

This apparently is the only one available. I look forward to July 13.
    Good on you John,and Amazon in my opinion quite often deliver earlier than their estimates.Pleased for you.You'll be chatting away in Hindustani again before you know it.Mubarak !-​ I think that means cheers!

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, John T Morgan thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About the only hindi I can remember is Top Decca meaning go and read the log. Chipperow meaning hold your tongue. Asti Asti meaning easy easy or slowly slowly. Jildy Jildy meaning faster or quickly. Then some of the courses to steer , numerically such as Doh so atally eck. Lets know which one out of the 360 when you get the book and will let you know if it is right ? just spelt the words as they sound, so know they are spelt wrong. If remember correctly eck is 8. So maybe example is 228 ? Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th June 2021 at 10:43 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there such a book on how to understand Phillipino?

Call any center here in Oz for info and there will be some one from the Phillipines on the other end.

The country must be empty I would think.
    Very helpful peopel but the accent make sit at times almost impossible to understand what they say.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Missing books

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    About the only hindi I can remember is Top Decca meaning go and read the log. Chipperow meaning hold your tongue. Asti Asti meaning easy easy or slowly slowly. Jildy Jildy meaning faster or quickly. Then some of the courses to steer , numerically such as Doh so atally eck. Lets know which one out of the 360 when you get the book and will let you know if it is right ? just spelt the words as they sound, so know they are spelt wrong. If remember correctly eck is 8. So maybe example is 228 ? Cheers JS
    Yes John I believe you know Hindi. Your tallys . Well, #-'it's all coming back to me now#' -so sang Meatloaf or was it Elkie Brooks,or maybe Celine Dion-or all three at one time or another.Anyway tallys. Cleverly designed to help out we westerners avoiding having to remember all the names of the numbers after ten (das).Probably comes from the word tallyman-well,it's as good as any interpretation I suppose. Hence after das it becomes ek tally ek (11) etc. 21 becomes doh tally ek etc.It was easy for Yorkshiremen and Lancastrians especially in remembering the by 'eck ' bit.

I wonder now whether it's written phonetically as talli or tallis if more than one ten-still with me? 'cos I could be digging a big hole here and just waffling away,but that's not a bad thing as I could become a politician,although I'm far too honest for that.Where was I?
    Not a bad word then is talli(s). There'sThomas Tallis, the famous Tudor era composer,a young man said to be Henry VIII's favourite,although don't read anything into that as Henry allegedly liked many things including sumptuous banquets for one (himself),marrying then beheading spouses(2),and collecting diamond-encrusted codpieces(God knows how many,although I feel sure I saw one on E-Bay last year.)
    Rhyming with tallis are chalice,Alice and palace,the latter two being something Christopher Robin knows all about. There is John Challis of DelBoy fame who played Boycie and who was married to "Mar-lene!"

I'm a long way off the great Hindi language topic now,aren't I ,so I'll just say "Hum (or Ham ) Juldi Jow!-I'm buzzing off quick.

My Night Orders 1.Keep usual course and speed.
    2.Chicken Tika Masala,extra rice,2 onion bhajis and a Tiger beer at 2300 hrs please.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast