Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Missing books

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Missing books

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Wonder if Amazon or any of the other books companies still sell 'Port Said bibles'?
    Just asking you know!!
    only if you can remember the titles.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking of books that reminds me,
    To everyone that received a book from me for Christmas , they”re due back at the library next Friday.
    Thank You.
    JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Talking of books that reminds me,
    To everyone that received a book from me for Christmas , they”re due back at the library next Friday.
    Thank You.
    JS
    Haha! I'd better get reading 'em then.That 'War & Peace' looks like a 'good place to start. Personally I like C.S.Forester myself. As the bishop once said to the actress "' Ee my luv (he were from't North),there's nowt like curling up wi'a good Hornblower on a wild night !"Reading.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 ... As a good hornblower Graham , Louis Armstrong was one of the best , but somehow don’t fancy curling up with him anywhere . JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Missing books

Missing Books?...Well,aren't poweful search engines good ! Casually 'surf-flipping' through one's casualty databases,as one does,I found this little gem. The books really did go missing on this one !

[ On the 13th of August,1978,carrying the unusual cargo of fourteen boxes of books destined for the Singapore Book Fair,the 30 year old Panamanian flagged m.v.TIEN PAO was en route from Kaohsiung,Taiwan to Singapore,when she developed a leak during a heavy storm in the South China Sea.
    Drifting with a heavy list and engine trouble her crew abandoned ship in Lat.10-32N,Long.110-27E later that day,all safely rescued.The Tien Pao drifted away and sank the following day.]

For the 'shipophiles' amongst us -the m.v.Tien Pao was originally built in 1948 as the KISHIN MARU in Japan for Japanese owners,and was originally steam turbine powered,and was a cargo ship of 2,794 tons deadweight. She was re-engined as a diesel in 1962.She was sold in 1967 and reflagged under the Panama flag with various names such as SAIGON and KOREAN STAR,before becoming the TIEN PAO in 1977.

Never again will I complain that my cheap Taiwanese imported book from Amazon was delayed in Suez on the Ever Given,although these days I
    think they come by air instead of ship-if you choose Amazon Prime no doubt !Reading.jpg

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Taiwan at that time was the new book depository of the world especially for breach of copyright books such as Lady Chatterlys Lover and think George Robey would of had just cause for complaint. At the other end of the spectrum however even Nories Tables could be bought for a fraction of their cost . As regards Kaohsiung was a there once or should say 3 times in one week as the current was too strong for the ship to make northern headway towards Japan and on the fourth go made it on a 4 knot ship.Days of yore. This however was in 1970. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th June 2021 at 12:59 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi tony #21
    good evening, thats why there was only " pictures "
    tom

9. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Missing books

JS #26 Taiwanese Books..Yes.Apart from one or two'counterfeited' textbooks at a tiny fraction of the publishers UK price I remember in Keelung grabbing a few copies of 'Spycatcher',Peter Wright's memoir,which had not yet been allowed to be published and distributed back home,because the powers-that-be were still umming and aahing about how sensitive it's revelations were. So must have been about 1981? I distributed several as presents for family members,but I needn't have worried about going through Heathrow customs as they didn't appear to be on the lookout for Taiwanese knock-off books,even the sniffer dog only apparently intent on sniffing out a melted chocolate eclair sweet stuck in the bottom lining of my suitcase.-well,that's what I thought it was after,unless it had homed in to one of my sweaty sox in my dirty washing bag. One will never know now.I do think sniffer dogs today are trained to sniff out all kind of weird and wonderful things,perhaps even learning the different smells of a counterfeit Asian copy of my Spycatcher or your Lady Chatterly's Lover-or perhaps the Taiwanese boobed and misprinted it as Lady Chatterjees Mother,for the Indian market no doubt. Those dogs WILL know the difference.They are so intelligent,and all for a "Good Boy(or Girl) " from it's handler,and a play with a little yellow bouncy ball as a reward. Good Dog!

11. Likes N/A, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I often wonder what’s in that little yellow bouncy ball, maybe it’s one of the handlers socks or even jocks Ugh ! JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#27. Hi Thomas nice to see you back. Did you discover America this time on your travels or are you waiting for the 6 July to do that. Think the 6 July is some holiday period there so the shops will be closed and you won’t have to spend any money. That’s what Cappy would do. Cheers JS.
    R575129

14. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast