Thread: Kharg sinks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kharg sinks

Not the island but the Iranian navy's largest ship, caught fire and sunk. It was sold to the Iranian navy by the U.K and was built for the RFA.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/irans-largest-n...eid=3b737aa316;

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kharg sinks

Remember it being built on the Tyne at Swan Hunters in the late 70s and not be delivered for about 6 or 7 years. I thought it was to do with the Shahs being disposed by the Iranian revolution and the Ayotala taking over. I Think it was the Shah had ordered it and the Ayotola didn't want to pay for it, some guys were stranded in the Tyne for years. Surprised it was still in commission, must be 40 years old by now.
    Regards Michael
    Last edited by Michael Black; 7th June 2021 at 03:00 PM.

3. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kharg sinks

In Annfield Plain (near Consett) there was a fair sized detached house named Kharg House, it was noticeable every time you drove through.
    Some years ago, I took a taxi home from Newcastle Airport and was chatting to the driver who claimed to have been the Chief Pilot for Kharg Island; I did believe him as he knew too much to have made it up. Married to a girl from S. Shields where he had studied for his tickets. When the revolution came he got her and his family out then later made his escape as knew what was coming for him. When I asked where he lived, turns out it was his place I knew. Thought the Shell song about Kharg Island was hilarious - "Oh Kharg Island, in the sun willed to me by my uncle Joe, all my days I will sing in praise of your oily beaches, your shining tanks" or something like that anyway.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post