Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reading

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reading

Interesting man to read about, all seamen of our generation will recognise his name, Bernardo O'Higgins. Born in Chile he never met his father, Ambrosio, who was born in Sligo Ireland. Bernardo was his illegitimate son. It would take far too long to list all his exploits when he led the fight to end Spanish rule and gain independence for his country. He was joined in this by another of Irish descent, Juan Mac Kenna.
    For JWS he was also a Mason.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try my Merchant Navy series books

Ian M Malcolm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I read a great deal now but I buy good used books at Awesome Books or World of Books at very good prices!
    Bob

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking about Reading, well i am am still going very slow with the Book i bought that Jeff Glasser wrote about his past, it is still very interesting and i am hoping to complete it soon now. He really does get into his Life with this Book and although the start is a wee bit slow it most certainly gets a whole lot better as you go on! A very good Read this one is!
    YOU ONLY GET ONE GO ON THE ROUNDABOUT: Amazon.co.uk: Glasser, Jeff: 9781793066268: Books
    YOU ONLY GET ONE GO ON THE ROUNDABOUT
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th June 2021 at 07:06 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that if you are a book reader you started very young and got hooked. I went from comics like the illustrated Classics to books after discovering H.Rider Haggard and was hooked on printed matter. So many authors to discover, Sax Rohmer, Mickey Spillane ,Zane Grey, Louis L'amour - the list was endless.
    Read anything that was onboard once at sea and still buy many books at op-shops and the like, particularly when you can pick up 4 books for a pound.
    Found a Frederick Forsyth book 2 weeks ago and was totally pleased as is on my all-time favourite authors list.
    Currently reading Jo Nesbo - Knife.
    Would like to mention that Alan Whitaker from Manchester, a former shipmate from 50 years ago on the Port Montreal has published his book "Thirteen Broken Biscuits" about his life and time at sea. I got it from Amazon for 9.95 with free postage and it's next on my list.
    Maybe reader's would like it, in fact i'll post in it's own thread and see if it will help him out as he has had problems recently.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Brocklebanks, as radio officer, I looked after the ship's library. The Missions to Seamen did us proud with the wooden crate of about 100 books delivered before we sailed. Some good times were had in Calcutta when we lugged the box to a nearby ship for exchange with a Clan boat or similar. We were always well-oiled lugging back the new library box. One time we returned with a gift of a ship's cat as well as the books. His name was jool wallah, (cacky bum, I think it means). Jool wallah was from New Zealand originally but after four months with us, took himself off ashore in South Wales for a spot of courting and did not return.
    I'm still a keen reader and my shelves are groaning. They need a regular clear out to the charity shops. But I'll not part with 'The Burning Coast' published about 1954. This year I found an old copy at a reasonable price. It was a title that fascinated me when I read it in 1956 from the ship's library. The author John Dooley writes of his work controlling smuggling in the Red Sea after the British capture of Massowah 1942 or therabouts. Superb memoir. There are many others the reading of which I treasure. The ship's library was a delight. Everything from Zane Gray to Comparative Religion.
    Now I'm writing my own: a couple of historical novels and some sea-going memoir, plus editing for publication a 1952 manuscript by Lt Mann, the uncle of an old ex-mariner friend. It's an account of his astonishing escape from the bombing of SS Vyner Brooke off Banka Island by Japanese aircraft. 'One Jump Ahead' he called it. I've since sent the original foolscap to the Australian Memorial for archiving - it is important to Australia as Vyner Brooke was loaded with Australian nurses escaping the fall of Singapore.
    Books are treasures that have helped make us human.
    Harry Nicholson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a great Library here in Cooma, I read about two books a week, my wife complains that I always have my nose in a book.
    I used to belong to writing groups, and have published stories in their yearly book. I have also written two short novels but haven't done anything with them, give the kids! something to read when I have sailed away.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like a good read with Wilbur Smith my favorite author.
    Have a copy of the complete works of Shakespeare which I read bits from at times.

In a number of our shopping centers now there will be a 'free library'.

A stand with books on, take one and if you have any you want to et rid of them then donate here.
    Does very well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

An author I used to enjoy reading is Earnest Hemmingway. I liked his books but don't think I would have liked the man.
    He was far to the right in his beliefs, friends with the Cuban dictatorships. He was also a big game hunter and lover of bullfighting. Everything I detest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To celebrate the turning of the year, my little eBook anthology, 'Green Linnet', is free from today until 3rd January. Humorous and sober short stories of the sea and of Yorkshire, interleaved with verse.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Linne.../dp/B00AX98UAK
    and on other Amazon sites.
    Harry Nicholson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast