Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Queen Mary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Queen Mary

#10 Graham I may be given you false information here as was so long ago , my first query may not of been Hogarths it may of been a Baron boat . But I do believe whichever it was Hogarths or the Baron boats , they were taken over by Lisles . JS

PS must be having memory lapses weren’t the Baron boats and Hogarths one and the same ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th June 2021 at 11:20 AM.
    R575129

2. Likes N/A, cappy, Denis O'Shea, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's an age thing John, both the same.
    Vic

4. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Shaw, cappy, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS #10. had a good look John but found 'nowt' Vic was right about Hogarths and Baron Line being the one and same. Lyle shipping's fleet were named 'Cape---They went into receivership in 1986 and apart from being Scottish I don't think had anything to do with 'Hungry' Hogarths.
    My casualty reports bequeathed by Davey ,and supplementing my ownextensive lists /notes are really Lloyds Casualty Lists and are for losses,and wouldn't therefore cover collision or grounding unless the vessel or the one involved in the collision was lost..I have notes on accidents and incidents for many other vessels such as groundings,collisions but there are so many of every nation ,and it only covers a fraction of them.
    Best Regards-I'll keep looking !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham, believe Lyles and Hogarths joined up to form the Scottish Management Group.
    Vic

7. Thanks Graham Shaw, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Denis O'Shea, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Graham and Vic , mind has cleared a bit now. Some word or some ones past reminesce often triggers a half formed memory, usually about characters from the past. One cant say too much as might embarass someone or incriminate oneself. So have to relate stories keeping the fifth amendment always in mind, at least think it was the fifth. However the Turnbull character is more than likely dead by now and one of his stories was sinking the pilot cutter in Aden and couldnt show his face there again, that wouldnt be no big loss I would imagine. However a more recent one at the time was up the Lakes where his wife flew out to Canada to accompany us on our wanderings. They argued from the day she joined. The old man was originally not from the better part of Glasgow, the Gorballs , think may have spelt wrong , anyhow was no slouch when it came to giving back what he received. His wife flew home from Montreal on coming out of the Lakes, and I flew home a week later from Port Alfred. On getting home I received a phone call very irate from his wife saying she had been picked up at Heathhrow with 100 rounds of ammunition in her possession of which she knew nothing about , and asking me if I knew what he had done, which of course was news to me. He went home the week after me, and the managers of the ship had to stop him at the airport to get his accounts off him which were supposed to be done on a monthly portage account , and they hadnt received for the 6 months he was there, he handed them a sheet and said here Ive done all your accounts , when they opened up later , they were all blank sheets , I know this because I went back on another ship of theirs and heard all about it in the office before flying out to Japan. On his finally getting home though I have no doubt he would not of been greeted to welcoming arms. His bad times must have started with that original grounding on the Barrier reef, sinking the pilot cutter in Aden and having a nagging wife interfering with his drinking habits and parties up the Great Lakes and those are just a few of the ones I know about, God knows about other parts of his life, I certainly dont , have enough nightmares of my own. There are wrecks of ships but there are also wrecks of men caused by wrecks of ships. There but for the Grace of God go I, must be a saying for a lot of seafarers . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th June 2021 at 03:02 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Queen Mary

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Graham, believe Lyles and Hogarths joined up to form the Scottish Management Group.
    Vic
    Thank You Vic ! If anybody knows about Scottish shipping it's got to be you! Just shows you a little out of date Wiki is a dangerous thing-my wrist is slapped! A Link

10. Likes Doc Vernon, vic mcclymont, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking in at old ships and how they deteriorate with time.
    Watched an old movie last night, 'Dead man Down'; and in a couple of scenes the old USA SS United States was used.
    Nothing more now that a hulk of rust, doubt there is enough now for the scrap metal merchants to worry about.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Re: Queen Mary

JS #10. John,what was the 'Scoot'?

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just my name which I heard some one describe an Irish coasting vessel . Which makes it two persons description at moment. JS

Have just tried to look up and is not in dictionary. Going further afield there is an airline by that name, or could otherwise mean to move over or slide away quickly , was an expression of an Irishman originally , so could mean anything. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th June 2021 at 08:08 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Just my name which I heard some one describe an Irish coasting vessel . Which makes it two persons description at moment. JS

Have just tried to look up and is not in dictionary. Going further afield there is an airline by that name, or could otherwise mean to move over or slide away quickly , was an expression of an Irishman originally , so could mean anything. JS
    Ah Yes.......Exackerly,John.Got it. Er.......Eh?Dizzy.jpgclap hands.gif

16. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast