Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Myths About Merchant Seaman By Ordinary Joe Public.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Famous Myths About Merchant Seaman By Ordinary Joe Public.

The merchant navy isn’t exactly a very common or popular profession. There are many people around the world who are either not aware of this unique industry or have several misbeliefs about the same.
    However, owing to a larger than life depiction in popular culture, it intrigues a vast majority of people who’ve never worked as, or known, a seafarer. This curiosity results in questions that seafarers are, quite understandably, repeatedly answering to every such person who has no to negligible information of the field of merchant navy.
    The next time your asked one of these questions point them in this direction
    The merchant navy isn’t exactly a very common or popular profession. There are many people around the world who are either not aware of this unique industry or have several misbeliefs about life at sea.

1. Seafarers Earn Loads of Money: Probably the most common aspect of a conversation with a misinformed individual, everybody seems to think that we’re cash cows that get paid a huge amount of money. Agreed, the pay is good. However, it is similar to the pay that individuals get after getting themselves a decent MBA/Masters and landing a respectable job (Of course, after certain years down the line in their careers). It is correct that the initial pay is far better than what one would get at shore, but the gap closes up as time goes by. Moreover, people at shore ought not forget the pains a seafarer has to go through to bring in that sort of money- time away from family, living at the mercy of nature, tough labour onboard etc. In our favor though, we don’t have to pay taxes, and rightfully so (Rules on taxes may vary across different countries) !
    2. Seafarers Consume Alcohol All The Time: The world over seems to think that sailors have an infinite capacity for alcohol. Couple that with their idea that alcohol onboard is subsidized to the point that it’s free! This notion gives people the credibility to think that sailors drink alcohol like its going out of fashion. What seems to be ignored is that there are random alcohol tests onboard, and that now there is a ‘Company Policy’ against drinking and all of that. Also forgotten is the fact that drinking deters sharp judgment; and that mistakes at sea can threaten the lives of all onboard. In our favor, alcohol is indeed very cheap onboard (but that doesn’t give us the liberty to drink it freely though). Moreover, considering increasing stringent regulations, most of the ships are now becoming “no-alcohol” zones.
    3. Seafarers Have Wife/Girl Friend At Every Port: The sole reason why sailors are interpreted to be inherently unfaithful! There was a time when a sailor was greeted at ports with a string of women to choose from. But then that was decades back! However, over time, with the advent of safety regulations, ISPS Code and other security measures, this has become a thing of the past. Combine that with the possibility of ruining one’s health and life back home, we have a purely fictional idea of a sailor’s entertainment at port. It is undeniable that if looked for, services can be found anywhere in the world, but that’s for any human being and not restricted to a sailor. A new country, a new port offers a plethora of sights and experiences. Also, none understands the value of a relationship (and the loyalty that goes with it) more than a sailor. Time away from loved ones doesn’t weaken bonds but strengthens them instead. Unlike others, seafarers knows the true meaning of – someone special is waiting back at home.
    4. Seafarers Are Always Seasick: “Don’t you get seasick?!” One of the most common questions when a sailor proclaims proudly that he works on a ship. Seasickness is a condition that affects few. Is it not mandatory for every seafarer to feel seasick! Much like motion sickness, seasickness is subjective and affects people on a case-to-case basis. And no, it is not a big deal. People get it and then get over it gradually. Every seafarers might get homesick at some point in their careers, but there is no surety that everyone will get seasick.
    5. Seafarers Have To Deal With Pirates Everyday: Yes, we know you’ve watched Captain Phillips and Pirates of the Caribbean. And yes, the former as close as it’ll get to a true depiction of an encounter such as that. We also know you are aware and also worried of the rising number of pirates around Somalia. But all the seas the world over are not sprinkled with heaps of pirates! Piracy is concentrated in certain parts of the world. Also, it is not compulsory that a pirate attack is guaranteed in those parts of the world. If safety and security measures are not executed to a full length and there are lapses in judgment, it is only then that pirates have the ability to get ship borne. Gradually though, with the advent of armed guards, things are getting much tougher and dangerous for the pirates. However, as a standalone security measure, sailors still have to make do with water hoses and barbed wires! But that doesn’t mean seafarers have to deal with pirates everyday and every day and everywhere.
    6. Seafarers Get To See New Countries: “Oh! You’re in the merchant navy. You must get to travel so much!” Undoubtedly one of the most common statements from people who have not been associated with the merchant navy whatsoever. Times have changed and so have trading patterns. Discharging at ports is fast and efficient, leaving little or no time for shore leave. VLCCs don’t even get to reach port at times. Bulk carriers are probably the only kind of ships that have the luxury of being at port for over a couple of days. That too, work shifts and stress makes seafarers put bed rest over going out to the city. Just because seafarers visit new ports and countries that doesn’t mean they have the luxury or opportunity to roam around according to their own wish.

7. Seafarers Live a Glamorous Life: People without a fair idea of the merchant navy seem to think that it is a glamorous life. Ships, exotic countries, smart uniforms, great technologies, enchanting sea etc. might make our life at sea seem nothing short of a Hollywood flick. Unfortunately (or fortunately!), people do not get to see the dirty boiler suits, the torn safety shoes, the condition of one’s face at a dusty port, the fatigue that engulf them at the end of the day and so on and so forth. Agreed that there is a certain level of sheen that exists in our line of work. But that luster only comes once all the dirt has been removed.
    8. Seafarers Have An Easy Life With 6 Months On Land and 6 Months At Sea: There’s a universal idea that all seafarers have a ‘common 6 months on, 6 months off’ regime. So naturally, they believe that the life is easy for we work for 6 months and laze around for the other 6! Ridiculous, come to think of it. First of all, contracts differ in tenure. It can be 4 on, 2 off or a variety of other combinations depending on the rank and company. Secondly, the months that we don’t work, we’re only spending and not earning. Even with companies that pay while their seafarers are at home, it’s normally much reduced. Third, the work that we do over the few months that we are onboard, makes it necessary for us to go back home and relax; else we’d all go berserk! Couple that with handling family, relationships, exams etc. and we barely get proper time to completely switch off.
    9. Seafarers Are Uneducated Fools: Gone are the days when joining the merchant navy meant getting on a ship when one came of age and sailing away. Many people think going to sea doesn’t need much of education. But the truth is today, every rank, including the crew of the ship, has to be well informed, educated and dexterous in theory as well as practice. As far as the officers are concerned, it is a different ball game! Studies pertaining to the merchant navy have become very intense. Subjects ranging from Celestial Navigation to COLREGS to Chartwork have to be registered to the brain in a permanent manner. Those who have been through 3 years of BSc in Nautical Science or 4 years of BTech in Marine Engineering will clearly know the hell they have to go through! So, assuming that sailors are complete buffoons with no knowledge of their craft is a very misplaced concept.
    10. Seafarers Have to Fight Wars: People often confuse merchant navy with defense navy. Many believe everyone going to the sea goes to fight wars. The merchant navy is an auxiliary entity that might be called upon in case of dire emergency to assist the navy. However, on a daily operational basis, it has NOTHING to do with the navy or the armed forces of the country in general. The merchant navy is simply a commercial operation wherein transfer of goods/cargo takes place across the world. As in a business wherein goods are exchanged for monetary gains, the merchant navy involves the same process where goods are handed over from A to B for money. So no, please do not confuse it with the navies.
    11. Seafarers Must Be Great Swimmers: Just because seafarers have to work at sea, people assume that it is mandatory for them to be great swimmers. However, the fact is seafarers do not have to be swimmers to work at sea. It’s a common misbelief among people that seafarers might need to swim to shores or other ships incase the ship meets with an accident. But no matter how great swimmer a person is, even if the situation demands, it is next to impossible to swim to shores or stay afloat in water in extreme weather conditions. Moreover, there are several personal protective equipment on board ships to ensure that seafarers can float in water during emergencies.
    12. Seafarers Don’t Have Anything To Do at Sea: Life is easy for seafarers, there is nothing much to do on board ships – that’s what many people think. A myth goes around that people at sea just lazy around, fish and make merry once the ship sails. As many don’t have a clue about the working of the ship, they think seafarers have lots of time in hand which allows them to booze, travel and relax. However, the fact is seafarers are one of the most hardworking people in the world who have to face serious issues everyday on board.

At the end, however many inappropriate things seafarers might hear about their profession, the love for the sea and their job is never diminished. Sailors love talking about their job and their stories at sea. Seafarers are humans too who work very hard through the roughest weather putting their lives at risk. Therefore, it’s important that the common folk is well informed about the merchant navy and life at sea; for if it wasn’t for seafarers, the economy of the entire world would come to a halt!

Over to you…

Do you know about any other misconception people have about merchant navy? Regards All Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 1st June 2021 at 01:56 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Famous Myths About Merchant Seaman By Ordinary Joe Public.

An often asked question was what do you do at night, do you just drop the anchor ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There’s no way any seaman gets 6 months vacation! Let’s take the case of a 4 on, 2 off contract, permanent pay. That’s 8 months worked and 4 months at home (on leave) every year. Sounds great, but people forget that we work continuously, weekends included. So, if you deduct the worked weekends and holidays, you’ll end up with 40 – 45 days vacation per year.
    {terry scouse}

Lewis McColl Guest

One misconception I heard a young Fourth Engineer many years ago now, come out with was that in the event of war he would stay at sea so as to avoid the fighting!!!!! I kid you not. That lad has done well for himself he is now the Chief Engineer on Irish ferries WB Yeats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with a few of those things Terry, but some are to be thought about!
    As for time Worked as said we worked long Hours i know in the Catering side i had to work most times extra hours as well. We did get Shore leave however and with the Mail Run it was 6 weeks round trips, with little break at Sea, then two weeks shore leave, but even then at most times (Yes it was ones own choice) i worked by the Ship as well, so no leave there! Not every trip.
    On the Intermediate Run round Africa, it was normally an Eight Week Run with three Weeks Shore leave, again a lot worked by when in Port if you felt the need!
    Thats my side anyway! LOL

This one i will for sure agree with !! 3. Seafarers Have Wife/Girl Friend At Every Port
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd June 2021 at 04:20 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That may be more true for the UK Terry. As I often harp on about the offshore Industry and the latter years of my going to sea , and the conditions out in Oz compared with the North Sea. When I arrived in Oz in November at the end of in 1991 and was working offshore as master on the Pacific Dart in December before Xmas the same year. The leave ratio was 1.153 days for every day on. You did officially work less than 6 months of the year. Your time on commenced leaving your house , and your leave started on your going through the front door home again. I never yet got the full time at home as there was a shortage of certificates offshore and was usually called out for taking ships back or bringing them down from the graveyard in Singapore. I could have refused as a lot of people did, but I was broke and very mercenary money wise. When I left or retired in 2002 they were back to 1 for 1 as the seamen had accepted that for an increase in wages. Further to the system then which I think various governments have knocked on the head, if I and a crew took a ship to Singapore usually a 6 day run from Dampier , on arrival Singapore you had to have 3 days off for RNR in a top hotel with $100 a day spending money, further to this any ship making the Ocean transit had to have a full deep sea crew on board for the 6 day run. Those same conditions I dont think apply today and I was lucky to have them for the 11 years I worked here. It was completely up to the maritime unions efforts , the 3 days RNR before my arrival out here was I believe 5 days. Offshore exploration went off regardless of the whinging about the expense , and those 11 years I worked here is the only time in 50 years where I have seen seamen paid properly. Today however as have said those conditions I doubt if they exist anymore. That is why I never complain about the union, if they arent there today it is because certain people cant see the wood for the trees and shot themselves in the leg or the head as the case may be. Cheers JS....

PS Further to this if joining a ship if your travelling time exceeded 8 hours you had to have 12 hours off before joining this was anywhere in Australia also which meant a night in a hotel or a rest room in a hotel. Conditions I had never seen before . Certainly beat , 5 days a month leave and pay your own travel. As for salary no comparison. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd June 2021 at 04:39 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

one of the first questions asked {when are you going back} 3 of my brothers were at sea the same time it could take years until we were all together the liverpool echo shipping page was first page to look at? to a none seaman the hours were crap money no good away from home all the time why did we do it?? because we loved it and would long to do one more trip for free.. jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some not as stupid as those often asked by passengers on first cruise.

Where do the crew sleep and do they get fed.

How do you get the electricity to the ship when at sea?

What do you do with the ice sculptures after they melt?

These are only a few of them but some of the questions asked are beyond belief
    Such as what happens when the ship sinks??????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    There’s no way any seaman gets 6 months vacation! Let’s take the case of a 4 on, 2 off contract, permanent pay. That’s 8 months worked and 4 months at home (on leave) every year. Sounds great, but people forget that we work continuously, weekends included. So, if you deduct the worked weekends and holidays, you’ll end up with 40 – 45 days vacation per year.
    Apprentices in 60s, 4 days leave per month, working watches, rarely given study time. Once out of time, 9 days a month which was barely your weekends back - no "holiday" time. Last trip apprentice I did 9 months = 36 days off.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10 Tony Deck Apprentices in the 50s got zero official leave. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd June 2021 at 08:21 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast