Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Qe2 1976

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Qe2 1976

I saw all the Queens at various times while in and around New York / New Jersey, but the most memorable was in 68 wile at anchor waiting for a berth;
    The Queen Elizabeth was passing relatively close and I was up midships (old style tanker) standing outside the ships office with two American security guards who were there to stop the Chinese crew from disappearing, when one of them said to me, "gee, don't you guys wish you could build ships like that?" I replied that we did build it but he wouldn't accept it because the American flag was at the mast head. His colleague then joined in and confirmed my statement but he still would not accept the fact, they argued so much I was afraid they would come to blows so I shot off and left them to it.

Lewis McColl Guest

I was on the Queen Mary, while in Long Breach I think it was 86? they were making a TV series at the time. I was with a Scouser who had sailed on her as a steward. While they were filming you could watch some of the action. Main actors were Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer. After the shoot my mate passed a comment about the waiters in the dinning room scenes. They were all Italians. His comment was heard by someone who was involved in the making of the movie. Anyway that comment got us a pass to watch a few more scenes closer to the action. After the shoot we got to spend a few minutes talking to Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer. Jane Seymour was lovely and wanted to know what life was really like onboard. Christopher Plummer never opened his mouth , shuffled off as soon as he could. Jane Seymour was really small and her waistline was something else. What a body she was absolutely stunning. I

I also saw the old Queen Elizabeth twice as she was under going conversation in Hong Kong sadly the second time I saw her she was lying on her side burnt out hulk.

I also saw the QE2 a few times when she was alongside inn Southampton and when she visited the Mersey, yes I would say she was the last of what you would call a classic liner.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked as a Purser on board QE2 from 1972 to 1987 and 1992 to 2004 when I retired from Cunard as Chief Purser. She took me to the Falklands War and got us through the 90 foot wave. The floating bath tubs would not have survived. If you read books about QE2 published before 2003 most of them say she is the last of the great ocean liners. They were wrong. Now we have QM2.

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis mate, whilst I agree the modern day cruise ships do not look as ones we knew that is what the 'experts' call progress.

But suprisingly they do manage well in rough weather.
    I too thought they may not do so well but was amazed at how they manage.
    Not in a gale force wind of course but do handle heavy seas.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lewis McColl Guest

John I bet they weather route more often than not. They would not last very long sailing the north Atlantic. My time sailing the Atlantic from the the likes of Trinidad once you claimed the Islands you never stopped rolling until you got well into the Western approaches and heading up the channel etc!!! I would like to see one going down the West coast of India during monsoon season on the LNG carriers we regularly hit 35 degree rolls lasting until you turned the corner at the bottom of India, no sleep for a week near enough.
    https://youtu.be/7UHgshcjNSw

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are some photos of QE2

In the Officers Bar is the bell off the p;d FRANCONIA,I used to polish it many years before in 1956
    on final World Cruise right over the TITANIC on the Anniversary of the sinking in April 2008 a Service.,
    On the voyage to Cape Town a Service right over the GLOUCESTER CASTLE south of Ascension Island
    Entering the Panama Canal on final World Cruise 2008
    Me on the wheel of QE2
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th May 2021 at 11:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2