Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alexander McGowan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alexander McGowan

Hello all,
    I’ve recently learned of a previously unknown side of the family on my maternal grandfather’s side, and looking for help in the career of my great grandfather.

Alexander McGowan, born 20 January 1860, in North Milmain, Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire in Scotland, died 30 March 1926 at Prestwick. Documents show various trades in his lifetime, including journeyman joiner, labourer, porter and traction engine driver. In amongst those he is also recorded as being a ship joiner in 1890 and 1892, a ship carpenter in 1894, 1896 and on his death certificate in 1926.

I’m interested to know whether this would have been a shipbuilding, shore based job (some or all of which might have been in the Govan area) or whether he might have had a seagoing career as ship joiner or ship carpenter, with MN records that might be explored.

Any suggestions on where to go next with this gratefully received.
    Thanks all
    Alan

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Alexander McGowan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Blyth View Post

Any suggestions on where to go next with this gratefully received.

Thanks all

Alan

Will look at all tonight.

Keith.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Alan Blyth thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As said by Marian there seems to be no Records for him in the Merchant Navy, i have looked and nothing!
    Even the RN there is no listing, tried the Apprentices in that era as well but Zilc! So seems he was just Shore based Employee!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks N/A, Alan Blyth thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1.. Don’t know if anyone mentioned to you but the term ship joiner probably refers to shipwright which most. ships carpenters were of old. See by your place of abode you are in Kingston on Thames I lived there from 1940 until 1946 in Richmond Park Road with various relations living in parallel street Acre Road . Do they still exist ? The road names that is ? Cheers JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Alan Blyth, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks for that reply, fascinating stuff. I do want to delve into the Clyde shipbuilding industry properly one day. I gather that for some decades something like 90% of the worlds ships were built there.
    I suspect he was employed in the shipyards, as he dissuaded his son (my grandfather) from becoming an engineer in the MN for reasons unknown.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    re#4, Zilch on the trade union front, was a bit of a longshot but worth a try.

On the 1871 Census he is listed as grandson to the head of house, in the Parish of Sorbie. Would you like a copy of that?
    Many thanks for looking. My sister has found lots of census entries but I don’t remember if 1871 is one of them so yes, a copy would be wonderful.

- - - Updated - - -

Many thanks. Interested in all that (new) side of the family so yes, everything MN or otherwise might give clues.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #1.. Don’t know if anyone mentioned to you but the term ship joiner probably refers to shipwright which most. ships carpenters were of old. See by your place of abode you are in Kingston on Thames I lived there from 1940 until 1946 in Richmond Park Road with various relations living in parallel street Acre Road . Do they still exist ? The road names that is ? Cheers JS
    Yes, both roads are still named that way. Funnily enough, VE Day last summer when people put bunting and photos up I stopped to talk to a stranger in his front garden near the corner of Richmond Park Road and Acre Road, because he had a large red Ensign draped over the upstairs window. I thought we’d share stories of MN ancestors or casualties but it turned out he had picked up the flag from a beach somewhere abroad after a storm. He didn’t know it was MN, so I left him and hopefully his kids too, slightly better educated on the importance of the MN in two world wars (and beyond of course).

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the same area as used to be there, used to be a pub there called I think the Old Oak. That as on the corner of Richmond Park Road. That’s about par for the course as regards the general public and their knowledge of shipping , for an island nation they most have an education sadly lacking in their own nautical past. Cheers JS.
    PS Thinking back the pub May of been the British Oak and getting mixed up with the old Oak rum of Trinidad .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd May 2021 at 08:32 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9. One of the engineers on site may clarify. But if he was a time served shipwright he would of been able to get permission from the BOT MOT DOT DTI of our day to proceed to sea as a junior engineer. A person I knew was second mate with a 1 mates certificate and an exships chippy , ex shipwright , his ambition after his masters certificate was to start again and go for engineers certificates. Whether he succeeded or not I never heard. Cheers JS. Tom Smith from Wallsend if you ever look in on this site would be good to get an answer. Ex Warkworth , R.S. Dalgliesh. Cheers JS.

PS I also sailed with a 3 engineer who served his time as a Blacksmith, he claimed whether joking or not it was shoeing horses , he was old enough to have done so . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd May 2021 at 10:37 AM.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Originally shipbuilders were known as shipwrights
    and their skills were in woodworking.

https://www.shipwrights.co.uk/shipwrights-history

K.

17. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Alan Blyth liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast