Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New Royal Yacht

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Royal Yacht

#60.. yes the wild life ashore can be very disruptive as well as the humankind. There are at least a couple on site who know the port of Wyndham up the Cambridge Gulf in the Northern Terrority in Australia , and it seems only like last week , but was in 1998 I was working out of there supplying a South African dredger in the gulf, dredging for diamonds is quite a long story ,so to keep it short , there was only one pub a couple of Hundred yards from the ship no lights ashore apart from those of the distant pub. But I used to take a torch with me , and well that I did , as was soon made aware of the occassional croc waiting hopefully for a chicken or something for its supper come breakfast. The Quay used, was to the ones who know the port was where the cattle boats used to berth and was told the crocs used to make the usual snap grab and gotcha at the poor beastie who got too near the water . It was still habit forming. Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Re: New Royal Yacht

John,your #59...Hm. Yes ,Kong IS rather an unusual surname,but as Brian has denied it being any relation to him I think we should respect his privacy (I'll look into it just in case--Marian's already onto it.She's a brilliant researcher and just lately is a demon quizzer too,but keep Your credentials well hidden just in case any closets are invaded)-.In mine?,just a load of old uniform shirts I nicked from P & O ,an old pair of flipflops(thongs in your language),suspenders (and I don't mean braces!,)and many damp copies of old Sea Breezes..What's in yours?
    Anyway I do know what you are talking about.I've had a bowl of Shreddies dropped in my lap at breakfast by a furious Denis/Dolores who thought I was disrespecting him/her.I believe the modern day useage is the term 'dissing' ,which sounds to me too much like going to that town called Diss in Norfolk,but in any case I'm old fashioned and always like to hang on to the ancient dialogue. Where am I, or where was I? Oh yes I was lucky it was a cold dish and not a hot faggott -are we allowed to use that word these days?.Apart from burning my inner thighs that would have made such a mess of my pristine freshly starched- by -Chinese -crew white tropical shorts and cummerbund ensemble. Those guys on colliers and tramps had really no idea what they were missing,or perhaps they did,and that's why they didn't sail on our ships!
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 31st May 2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Tidying Text

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#62. Yes I missed all the dressy up ships, but what you never knew about you never wanted. The closest I ever got was the Sunprincess with 12 official passengers, but being Liberian flag ,what the heck give us a couple more. I found passengers very distracting and were always looking for an invite so they could drink your cheaper beer. They got into trouble ashore worse than a first trip deckboy and one had to invade the privacy of brothels to get them back for sailing . As for Diss I knew it at one time as have stayed there with friends . I often used to wonder of what secrets that lake held , was it ever dredged to find out ? The last time there must be about 10 years ago.
    JS...
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #60.. yes the wild life ashore can be very disruptive as well as the humankind. There are at least a couple on site who know the port of Wyndham up the Cambridge Gulf in the Northern Terrority in Australia , and it seems only like last week , but was in 1998 I was working out of there supplying a South African dredger in the gulf, dredging for diamonds is quite a long story ,so to keep it short , there was only one pub a couple of Hundred yards from the ship no lights ashore apart from those of the distant pub. But I used to take a torch with me , and well that I did , as was soon made aware of the occassional croc waiting hopefully for a chicken or something for its supper come breakfast. The Quay used, was to the ones who know the port was where the cattle boats used to berth and was told the crocs used to make the usual snap grab and gotcha at the poor beastie who got too near the water . It was still habit forming. Cheers JS.
    I was there in 1970, went in with the swimming pool filled with clean seawater (river looked manquy), sailed three days later, totally exhausted, non stop party with nurses from the hospital. Only recall two pubs, the Three Mile and the Seven? mile, might have ben ten but never got that far.
    Sailing delayed a little due to engineer apprentice finishing his "relationship" on the bankside with all hands watching and the old man with a megaphone shouting, come Matty, get a move on.
    Matty, do you still live in Ashington?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Didnt live in one of those fortress like flats did he, if thinking of same place they got pulled down with Woolworths, think it was called Woolco. Wasnt Matty Cook was it. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    John do you find in the warmer months if you wear sandals most of the time, come winter and the shoes come out again that you feet have spread and shoes seem tighter fit.
    I hope when Boris gets his Prime ministerial / Presidential yacht and visits the former Prison colony. if you do get an invite aboard that you do wear deck shoes. Could you dig out your old UCL wingers uniform and lead a hand with high teas. I am sure as a travelling companion Lord Prescott will be able to lend a hand if required.
    Not only that but as clothes in the wardrobe during winter get no sunlight come spring you find they have shrunk.

As to black thongs, only for funerals and special weddings.
    Quite common here to see a wedding where the groom is in shorts and shirt only when conducted in a garden or by the river.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John S.
    WEnt to the Docs this morning, they are doing 100 covid jabs a week, he said that we have to wait at least two weeks as we just had our flue jabs, but he assured us there was no Covid in Cooma.
    As for John in Mel wearing thongs black or otherwise, frost was two inches deep for the last two mornings here, and temp at minus 8
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

We had a drop dead gorgeous NZ girl in the bowling club (not 10 pin) in Javea Spain. The dress code was strictly whites. This young girl was not a great bowler but she usually had a few of the gents readily available to offer advice and encourage her to play better. She always wore nice whites and tailored shorts.
    I am sure she was responsible for one of the senior members to drop dead on the Green. He was standing directly behind her as she bent over to deliver her bowl during an inter club match. The last words he uttered were supposedly oh my God she is wearing no knickers and dropped like a stone. Now to be fair to Christine she was wearing a black thong , she had a knowledge of CPR training she did try and resuscitate the poor member. Cause of death was likely the sudden rush of blood to the members member? Some of the older lady members insisted that the proper attire be strictly adhered to after that incident. The members called an extraordinary general meeting and the question of the dress code was discussed. It was agreed that the ladies if they felt comfortable wearing lighter under garments especially in the summer months they could do so if they wished.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi John S.
    WEnt to the Docs this morning, they are doing 100 covid jabs a week, he said that we have to wait at least two weeks as we just had our flue jabs, but he assured us there was no Covid in Cooma.
    As for John in Mel wearing thongs black or otherwise, frost was two inches deep for the last two mornings here, and temp at minus 8
    Des
    My brother got his yesterday, we had ours on Easter Saturday.
    Our surgery is doing about 100 per day, and so far no frost down here..................yet.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do they remember how??

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast