Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: extended voyages

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: extended voyages

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    what was in these so marked tins .....what vessel and what year was the happening .....and what did crew do about it ,,,,,
    I recall watching stores coming aboard in the states, I was standing with the chief cook who left me to go and check stores when they were aboard.
    He sent a load of boxes back, told me he wouldnt accept it as it was "cow beef".
    Following weekend, Sunday lunch -steak was un edible as too tough to chew.
    While having a chat with chief cook the next day (I always spoke with him daily to check for probs - we didnt carry leckies it was part of my job). The subject of the steaks came up (he was a good cook) -cow beef he said- thought you sent it back? I did he said but the ch steward had it returned as he didnt want to give his little brown envelope back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony could that box of 'Cow' beef have read 'Ox' beef , An awful lot of beef that ships loaded as stores were Ox which generally came from older cattle especially dairy cows which were older and leaner and therefore tougher than prime beef . The difference is in the colour and marbling of the meat, prime beef has a high marbling content in the meat which you will notice as a pale cream colour which when cooking melts and bastes the meat from the inside out and any fat on the outside of the meat will also have that same pale cream colour. With dairy beef there is not a lot of marbling and the colour of the fat will be a deep yellow which is fine on slow braising or stewing meat but will make a steak or roasting cut very dry and tough. Next time you are in your local butchers or supermarket check the steaks and you will see what I mean.

3. Likes N/A, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    Tony could that box of 'Cow' beef have read 'Ox' beef , An awful lot of beef that ships loaded as stores were Ox which generally came from older cattle especially dairy cows which were older and leaner and therefore tougher than prime beef . The difference is in the colour and marbling of the meat, prime beef has a high marbling content in the meat which you will notice as a pale cream colour which when cooking melts and bastes the meat from the inside out and any fat on the outside of the meat will also have that same pale cream colour. With dairy beef there is not a lot of marbling and the colour of the fat will be a deep yellow which is fine on slow braising or stewing meat but will make a steak or roasting cut very dry and tough. Next time you are in your local butchers or supermarket check the steaks and you will see what I mean.
    Thanks John, the cook told me that also, they were so tough you had difficulty cutting them with a knife, my old man was a butcher before he joined up in WW11 and I got regular lessons in what to look for, but in that case the cook was landed with rubbish, it would have been worse if he wasnt a good cook but there are limits.

5. Thanks john walker thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a time here in Oz when one of the major supermarket chains extended their mince by using feral water buffalo meat.
    Fine until it was discovered that at times some would die of natural causes but if found within 24 hours of dying were considered to still be good to use.d
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    There was a time here in Oz when one of the major supermarket chains extended their mince by using feral water buffalo meat.
    Fine until it was discovered that at times some would die of natural causes but if found within 24 hours of dying were considered to still be good to use.d
    At least it was bovine in origin, not horsemeat. I have eaten horsemeat before but it is nice to know what you are actually eating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

some 40 odd years ago i was driving my family down to france on holiday ...my daughter about 10 ....was hungry so we stopped to eat ....her choice burger and chips .....on looking closely at the menu ....i saw it was burger cheval of course horse which i just kept quiet about ......she had a pony of her own at home which was her pride and joy .......after she had eaten the last morsel my son with a big grin said you have eaten a pony just like yours .....the scene in the restaurant was like something from a horror movie .....she weeped off and on for 3 days while my younger than her son reminded her what she had done ........oh happy day ...we still remind her off it even today......cappy

Keith at Tregenna Guest

They may be disappearing, but you can still come across Boucherie Chevalines, or horse butchers shops in France. Some horses are still bred for meat, like the Ardennes and Postier Breton horses. Horse meat was only sanctioned in France in 1811. In 1865 a banquet (Hippophagique, or horse-eating feast) was held in Paris to try to persuade the poor to buy a cheap alternative to beef and pork. The menu included horse-broth vermicelli, boiled horse meat and cabbage and rum gateau with horse bone marrow. The same year the first Boucherie Chevaline opened in Paris.

You might find horse on the menu, usually as a steak tartare or as a cooked steak.

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Did Tesco not get caught out a few years ago for having a % of horse meat in there burgers.
    I have had horse meat (steaks) but I would not knowingly buy it. I love horses and the thought of these wonderful animals ending up on my plate is a No for me.
    But there again I love Spring time and watching Lambs jumping about in the fields. But I certainly do not feel guilty about a leg of lamb being on the table on a Sunday

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Lamb is my favourite + Mint sauce.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi tony #36
    good morning did the chevelle give you the gallops.
    tom

- - - Updated - - -

hi cappy #37
    good morning i think i would have acted the same way, but a girl cappy you could have said neigh have something else
    tom

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast