Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Jumping ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jumping ship

Doc, Re: your post, jumping in Cape Town.

I gave serious thought to legally emigrating to South Africa,, living in Cape Town. In Australia"Poms" at that time (1958) weren't particularly popular. New Zealand just seemed too small and insular. I had some good friends at the time who were South Africans and lived in Cape Town and were encouraging me to go there and would sponsor me and my wife-to-be, but I just thought that at some time in the future, things might explode. Change did come, thankfully non-violent. Anyway, I chose Canada, and then then three years later my home for good, the USA..

No regrets, my life has been a great one, with the exception of losing my beloved second wife, and beyond my wildest dreams of the future I had when I left England.

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rod
    Yes there were many like you at that time, and lots took that Path to Immigrate to South Africa, and also as said Jumped Ship there! Most all who i me and heard about then were very Happy there, and made good lives for them and for those that started or had Families.

Yes changes did come, and was at one time quite a difficult time, but seems that although there is still a lot of unrest in certain places most are again getting to live normally, only the Cash rate is not at all good!

Like you i took the change to Aussie a lot later of course, (That time 1950,s) lived in England and other places, i too am very Happy here and am sure may not have what i do, had i stayed in South Africa.
    Still dearly love my Country though, and miss it so much at times! But as said very Happy and good Living here now. No Real Regrets!
    "Non Regrette Rien"
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can say that again, I was in a bar in Balboa being groomed by a delightful 15? 16? year old dark eyed beauty who insisted that i remain and give her you know what! sorely tempted but the old discipline thing kicked in and I staggered back to the ship before our midnight departure. Very glad that I did as some of the crew succumbed and did give some of the girls you know what and painfully regretted it a day or two later.

- - - Updated - - -

And boy were,nt some of the girls in New Plymouth rather naughty!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#72.. It’s amazing how old memories of the fairer sex come sometimes readily to mind. In my teens I can well remember getting involved with a girl, but true to the usual mix up of not knowing ones own mind it started off with her Auntie about 20 years older than me. I have extreme thoughts of it being the same lady that John in Oz has described over the years but being the gentleman I am still did not disclose. Anyhow met her niece and transferred my affections in the appropriate friendly manner. I was invited to her home. However when I was given her address which was in Woodstock I was told by older heads not to go there and I listened , so what may of been a budding romance fizzled out. I never did find out truthfully what was wrong with the place, unless it was someone putting me off so as to jump in my shoes .Which was certainly unfair and definetley not British. This was in Capetown. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd April 2022 at 06:23 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was of course a problem for all of us who liked a beer or maybe three.
    After a time all the ladies blurred into one, no matter where you were in the world after a few ales they all looked the same.
    But of course had they kept the clothes on the difference may have been more noticeable, but being somewhat one eyed when it came to that sort of thing I guess it did not matter so much.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best in many cases just keep eyes closed the three of them , today is easy all you have to do is pull the face mask higher on the head. The only problem then is the teeth. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd April 2022 at 09:35 AM.
    R575129

8. Likes Graham Shaw, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8