Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help needed

I have got my Dad's Seamans pouch from the NA, I would like to have his full MN history. I have tried to find it on the NA website, but no success. His discharge Number is R172653. He joined the MN in 1937 age of about 21 and I can remember him being away at sea, and coming home in the early 1950's. I think he finished going to sea around 1955. My dads name was James Swinnerton, born 26/10/1916. He did sail with the T&J Harrison shipping Line.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Terry Sullivan, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help needed

Hello Jimmy
    You will find his full Records in his CRS10 at the following Link, this is a Series so you will have to apply for his Records only, so when doing so give all the info you can, plus dont forget to include his Seamans Pouch Reference otherwise you will get one hell of a list of many Seaman. Any questions fire away!

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C10991181

Reference: BT 382/2957
    Description: Swen J B to Sylvestre L M
    Date: 1941 Jan 01 - 1972 Dec 31
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: 935
    Legal status: Public Record(s)

Seamans Pouch Reference

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C8155789

Reference: BT 372/141/108
    Description: R172653 SWINNERTON J 26/10/1916 LIVERPOOL
    Date: 1913-1972
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: R172653
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th April 2021 at 08:02 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Can you explain what exactly is a seamans pouch, I believe it is a series of cards in an envelope which you have to visit the NA to view , is this correct.

Also what is a CRS10.
    I am trying to find info on the wartime experiences of my wife's grandfather I have contacted the Guildhall who could give me the full history of his first ship the HMS Dunnotter Castle along with all the ports of call for the time he sailed on her. But they could not supply anything on the RN ships. The Biter and Begum were aircraft carriers and the Tasajera was a tank landing craft. The Dunnotter Castle was a converted armed merchant cruiser.

HMS Dunnotter Castle 3/8/40 7/9/42 I have all the info on this ship

HMS Bitter 10/9/42 to 29/1/45

HMS Begum 30/3/45 to 14/4/45

HMS Tasajera 24/4/45 to 13/8/45

I have a copy of his release papers date 1/1/1946 Throughout the war he was on a T.124 agreement which meant he was Merchant Navy but employed on Royal Navel vessels.
    His name was Robert Maclaren DOB 4/11/1909 Discharge book # R227455
    Last edited by J Gowers; 20th April 2021 at 08:35 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Doc for your quick reply, I will apply to the NA for his CRS10. I know my Dad's first ship was Ship No 162411 he set out from Liverpool 26/03/ 1938. Would he have got any training or teaching before this voyage, or was it learn on the Job and keep your eyes open. ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends what he did on the ship not sure what happened in 1938 but in the 70s he would have gone to a training school if he was catering or a deck boy. If he was an engineer or mate he would have gone to collage first or if like me could served an apprenticeship as an engineer ashore and then went to sea as a junior engineer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Swinnerton View Post
    Thanks Doc for your quick reply, I will apply to the NA for his CRS10. I know my Dad's first ship was Ship No 162411 he set out from Liverpool 26/03/ 1938. Would he have got any training or teaching before this voyage, or was it learn on the Job and keep your eyes open. ??
    Appears he was 22/23 when he joined his first ship in 1938,(born in 1916) his job would depend on what he did before he went to sea. If an engineer he would have been time served, so would probably join as 4th/5th or 6th engineer, basically at the bottom rung. However until you receive further particulars about his rank/rating on his first vessel then it is impossible to give any idea of what he did on board

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Swinnerton View Post
    Ship 162411 was called "Merchant" Cargo Ship Built 1934 Yard 841 Lithgows Port Glasgow ended in 1941 Mined and Sunk 24/12/1941
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your reply. No, he wasn't timed served, he got local work where ever he could, but work was hard to find at that time. Also in some work environments when you reached a certain age, 20-21, you were dismissed and replaced. I do remember my Dad telling me he was a Donkeyman/ Greaser.

12. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jimmy,
    In that case he would have worked in the engine room doing various duties and assisting the engineers. Cleaning, painting, topping up oils, helping overhauling of engines, pumps, boilers etc. Also could be called a motorman. On steam ships called a fireman apart for the jobs mentioned they also put fires (burners) in and out of the the boiler on steam ships.
    I was in the MN for 16 years as an engineer and came across all these names. I then moved to rigs where that position is called a motorman.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gowers View Post
    Hi Jimmy,
    In that case he would have worked in the engine room doing various duties and assisting the engineers. Cleaning, painting, topping up oils, helping overhauling of engines, pumps, boilers etc. Also could be called a motorman. On steam ships called a fireman apart for the jobs mentioned they also put fires (burners) in and out of the the boiler on steam ships.
    I was in the MN for 16 years as an engineer and came across all these names. I then moved to rigs where that position is called a motorman.
    Hello my Uncle David Mann worked in the engine room and everything points to him being on the LOGICIAN at Suda Bay, Crete in 1941, the ship was lost and he was among a group of seamen helped across the island by the partisans. Although everything points to this being true, i would love that little bit of proof. His number was R259438. It will be the 80th anniversary this year and we were hoping as a family to try and go but covid put a stop to that. I have been in touch with Kew but would have to pay a researcher, which could be any amount. As far as I know the Crew agreements and Logician Log books official number is 149678.
    Can anyone help please?

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast