Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The SS Malakand and the May Blitz 1941

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The SS Malakand and the May Blitz 1941

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb Cooper View Post
    Keith. It's possible we've crossed paths before. I was also a Wallasey boy, born 1926,
    and lived in St Brides Rd. Was also evacuated to Heswall in 1939 and went to sea as peggy in late 1941.
    Hi Charles, Wow, You we’re quite knowing at 13, and therefore a lot more expected from you by authorities. I had just turned five so really had no idea what was going on or understood how serious it was. My brother was eight and sister three. We’re you on the train from Seacombe station ? Also we’re you billeted at Moreland House Boarding School which had been abandoned for the War ? My brother stayed there but I was only there a few weeks before being taken into a family home. Funny, my brother also was Peggy on his first ship. Guess the majority of Wallasey schoolboys went off to sea rather than Army or Air Force during and right after the War.
    If they made you assist in keeping we little ones safe and well behaved, then i thank you. Made you grow up in a hurry ! Oh, We lived at 3 Littledale Rd. Just a very short walk to the Brighton pub and the Town Hall.
    If I manage to get over there again, I will attempt to drop by and maybe have a chat over a couple of bevies!
    Cheers,Keith.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith coming ahead a few years about the 1968 era was employed by Canadian charterers quite a bit on Lake cargo contracts . I had a small group of , but well versed friends in the Shipping and other parts of the material world, both male and female I must say. The female of this group wanted me to take up employment with an agency dealing with the grain inspector side of shipping and I was very tempted , the owner of the agency informed me that he would employ me for two years and after that would help me to put up my own shingle so to speak. All I had to do was when I finished the contract I was on at the time was to walk over the border from Canada to the US . It all sounded generally good at the time but thinking back it can’t have been that easy ? Didn’t and don’t all cargo shipping come under the US coastguard ? As you were a surveyor as your cv says you will know more than me on this subject . As the grain regulations are quite complicated in certain types of the stuff re the stowage and safe carriage of, did the coast guard farm this out to different companies ? Anyhow I didn’t follow up on the opportunity , but occasionally. Wonder would it have been feasible ? This was in Chicago
    .Cheers JS

Most charters was on were with Federal Commerce of Canada , one good thing about them , there was always a charterers bonus, but best not to let the owners know or they would deduct it off your wages . Meant to put this in the more appropriate Chicago and how to get there post .. sorry must have got mixed up . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th April 2022 at 05:40 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS., Think we are a bit off subject here but will be quick. Us Coast Guard runs all Merchant Marine accreditations and sadly, gaining certificates and the like is nothing like I am used to. Possibly the rules/examinations/seatime experience and such are all standardized and set rather low in my opinion.
    I have a set of the US Grain Regulations Handbook put out by The National Cargo Bureau who were a group of Marine Surveyors appointed by US Govt.. We independents had to lobby like heck to prevent them taking over and made to work through them. Will look for the handbook and let you know when I have it at hand. Keith
    Keith Adams
    R570384

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another thought :- I think the US had such huge success with the way they managed to train, certify and man successfully, hundreds of ships with War time crash courses for each shipboard position, that they don’t see the need to make examinations more difficult than necessary. We used to grudgingly refer to those American Merchant seafarers as “Ninety Day Wonders”. After a four year Cadet/Apprenticeship plus six months presea training, I was still apprehensive taking my first few bridge watches alone and I didn’t have to worry about keeping convoy position or enemy submarines !
    Keith Adams
    R570384

6. Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith. Yes, train from Seacombe, then a truck drive to various private houses.
    "Here missus, this one's yours". A big garden with plenty of fruit trees. Such a change from home. Knew your area quite well. Was a regular at the Guinea Gap. 'Bevies', haven't heard that word for years but will shout you a couple of cold ones if you can make the trip.
    Cheers.

8. Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chas, Thanks for the shout, Be a great day for me to actually set foot on NZ soil ! One never knows !
    Was a regular at Guinea Gap Baths, used to leave my swim suit and towel in boiler room as had the Polio Scare during my time and my Mum forbade me to go swimming. Went before school ! Sort of thing a boy could get away with as no Dad around ! Recently found Lancashire and Yorkshire comedians on the Web so had lots of laughs … one hears a lot of terms and expressions of times gone by. Rather nice really. Good to know you. Keith
    Keith Adams
    R570384

10. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2