Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The SS Malakand and the May Blitz 1941

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The SS Malakand and the May Blitz 1941

Between 1st and 78h May 1941 Merseyside was hit by seven consecutive nights of heavy bombing by the German Luftwaffe , which caused massive loss of life and destruction of the city business centre and the Merseyside Docks. One incident on 3 May involved the SS Malakand, an old Brocklebank Line cargo vessel, which was berthed in the Huskisson Dock. At about 11pm, a burning barrage balloon came down on the deck, closely followed by a series of incendiaries which set light to the balloon. Even though this fire was put out, flames from the nearby dock sheds again spread to the ship. and this fire could not be contained. Despite valiant efforts by the fire brigade the flames spread to the ship's cargo of 1,000 tons of explosives and ammunition, which exploded at 7.30 am the following morning, a few hours after the raid had ended. The entire Huskisson No. 2 dock and the surrounding quays were destroyed and four people were killed. The explosion was so violent that some pieces of the ship's hull plating were blasted into a park over 1 mile (1.6 km) away. . The official death toll for the explosion was given at 4 but the incident was played down and the likely figure is closer to 20 or 30. As a direct consequence of the event instructions were issued that in future ships would maintain the minimum crew and auxiliary steam to move their vessel away from the quay if it became necessary.
    May 1941 Blitz -005.jpg SS Malakand ss-malakand-1.jpg SS Malakand after the explosion.may 1941 blitz 001-011.jpg Huskisson Dock destroyed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The SS Malakand and the May Blitz 1941

That explosion occurred on my 2nd birthday May 4th about a mile from my house. Don't recall any bits of hull landing on my front garden, probably too busy blowing out two candles on my birthday cake. (Doubt I could manage even that many now)!
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lloyd's Register from 1939 courtesy of the Southampton City Libraries and Archives Services PLIMSOLL ship data project file number 39b0559.
    Last edited by Mark Keever; 15th April 2021 at 07:12 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Very interesting Charles, John and Mark.

Keith.

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Charles.
    People today have no idea how much the British people went through during the war, on TV here most of the old wartime news films are about what Germany went through, showing how the Russians went through them without any consideration, I just sit there and cheer at the fact that the people who supported Hitler got what they deserved.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, if you look deep into U Tube there are some bits of docos from WW2 showing how it was in UK then.
    Tough bloody times mate.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can’t recall the exact dates but Merseyside, Liverpool Docks and including Birkenhead Docks and shipbuilding industry. East ham Oil Terminals plus Manchester Ship Canal and Manchester/Liverpool main rail lines. We’re main targets for German bombing campaign that began late November 1940 and ended July 1941, with the odd Lone bomber showing up as late November 1941. It is my understanding Government didn’t want Germany to know how effective the raids were so BBC only reported that raids had occurred at North Western ports and gave no details. Kept all of the International News Reporters concentrating on London raids.
    I lived with my Grand Mother in Wallasey, about 100 yards from the river, opposite Sandon Half Tide Basin Locks, access to Huskinson Dock, about 2000 yards across the river and 1000 yards from Birkenhead Docks. I had been evacuated out of Wallasey to Heswall September 1939, but because nothing happened, retuned home July 1940
    I would add that both my parents were away in Army and Mother in London Volunteer AFS (Auxiliary Fire Service)
    Switchboard Operator in London. The bombing became so fierce and frequent I was moved into Saint Edward’s Boys Orphanage outskirts of Liverpool but right next to the Main Liverpool/ Manchester Railroad line ! Again, after the May Blitz, which was the worst raid series of all, my mother showed up in July and took my brother and I back to Gran’s for a few days. In Gran’s vestibule, behind the front door were two very large, smooth boulders that Gran said fell through the slate tiled roof and ceilings during May. They were from the infill behind the huge sandstone stones that formed the Huskinson Dock walls. I bet they are still there behind the door ! Anyway, we ended up living with separate families in the Oswestry area on the Welsh Boarder. Returned to Wallasey July 1943, this time as a family with our Mom. Our Dad was still away in the Army. We weren’t special; thousands of kids had the same or similar experiences and most came through it okay, or so we believe ! Prepared us for a seagoing life !
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith. It's possible we've crossed paths before. I was also a Wallasey boy, born 1926,
    and lived in St Brides Rd. Was also evacuated to Heswall in 1939 and went to sea as peggy in late 1941.

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Charles
    We had that whole episode the bombing of Liverpool on TV here in Aus a few months ago, including the Heroism of the Captain , he couldn't move the ship owing to mines in the river.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

14. Thanks happy daze john in oz, N/A, John Arton thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recall seeing that one Des, very descriptive version of events.
    Not a good place to be at that time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast