Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamens Clubs & Missions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seamens Clubs & Missions

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###must admit never used the mission much myself but the one in adalaide was ok on dance nights some decent birds in there ......lol cappy
    Yes Cappy, I was in there last year and approached by a lady looking very sad.
    Only one leg telling me a man with a Geordie accent some years ago stole her wooden leg.
    Now I am not one to spread rumors but there is a certain Mary with a wooden leg, I just wonder................................
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If she had a Popeye tattooed on her left buttock that was her, Rob told me about the tattoo. JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Yes Cappy, I was in there last year and approached by a lady looking very sad.
    Only one leg telling me a man with a Geordie accent some years ago stole her wooden leg.
    Now I am not one to spread rumors but there is a certain Mary with a wooden leg, I just wonder................................
    ##it was me bruvver innit

Lewis McColl Guest

That was Kingston House Flying Angel, just across the road from Mann Island the shipping federation.

5. Likes Jim Brady, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Drennan View Post
    Jim,

I was in what I thought was the flying tab nabs just a street or two away from where the Irish ferry, Ulster Prince used to tie up. This was in the mid sixties. Was it the tab nabs or some other seafarers establishment?

Duke.
    Hi Duke nice to hear from you.That place you are talking about was Kingston House,The Mersey Mission To Seamen.That was right opposite the pool,all hands would call into there for a coffee after visiting the pool you could more or less guarantee that you would meet somebody that you had sailed with.Now demolished and in joint ownership with the Stella Maris down this end of Liverpool.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

7. Thanks Duke Drennan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With Kingston House being right opposite Mann Island pool, As has been said you could sit in the windows of the cafe downstairs, If there was a queue outside about 08.30am you new there was a good job going through the pool, If it was empty you would walk in the pool and immediately on your right was the chalkboard with the likes of the William Wainwright full crew wanted, My pocket told me when it was time to ship out and it was 3 strikes and your out, A job was a job to me i used to watch guys hovering all morning terrified to report until either the board was empty or something appealing was posted. Remember the paper with Lioyds shipping hanging on the wall down the bottom end of the cafe telling you what and when something was paying off in L,pool, That,s when you got a scramble for them two blue doors to open. Another day Another dollar
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Hi Duke nice to hear from you.That place you are talking about was Kingston House,The Mersey Mission To Seamen.That was right opposite the pool,all hands would call into there for a coffee after visiting the pool you could more or less guarantee that you would meet somebody that you had sailed with.Now demolished and in joint ownership with the Stella Maris down this end of Liverpool.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    What Street ,in the City .Was the popular Anchor House,Jim. Convenient for the Pier Head,etc.?
    Ran a good Dance, and Bar,and decent accommodation. Stayed there a few days 1961.awaiting a job at Birkenhead.

10. Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it anchor house that you used to get a bar and the dance and quite a few girls in there and at 10 o'clock then with your glasses away the card would pull back and you got a benediction
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

12. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heard today of another aspect of the Australian Merchant Navy, what there is of it.
    The Maratine union of Australia is to amalgamate with two other unions to create one with some 150,000 members.
    Though the number of seamen in such will be very few.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lewis View Post
    What Street ,in the City .Was the popular Anchor House,Jim. Convenient for the Pier Head,etc.?
    Ran a good Dance, and Bar,and decent accommodation. Stayed there a few days 1961.awaiting a job at Birkenhead.
    Evan Kingston House was close to the Pier Head on the corner of James Street.I'm not sure if there was a bar in there in 1961 and from what I saw of the accommodation (my son stayed there on his cadet induction course) it was pretty basic.Maybe you stayed at Atlantic House which had a bar and had many hostesses for their regular dances,a bit further away from the Pier Head,I didn't see the accommodation there but I heard it was quite good.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast