Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: A Blast from the Past

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Blast from the Past

hi john sabourn #40
    good morning, i believe the saying goes back to the 1900s comes about from the first tooting of the car horn.
    so toodle pip
    tom

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi marian #43
    good morning
    i never read any pg woodhouse, but the hugh laurie and steven fry programs where excellent.
    tom

4. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Tom put his finger on it straight away ( hope it was only his finger ) Think it may of also been used in W.E. Johns books on Biggles as well , it was the slang of that era , middle and upper class of course. I used to think the Beano was intellectual . JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #45
    do not demean yourself in any manner, as the dandy and the beano where the equivilent of the library to many including myself and the imformation stored in those pages where invaluable, what about roger the dodger, his excerpts was a scource inteligence and highly prized imformation when getting upto sculduggery as a kid, but then again maybe i should not have paid too much attention to him as i always got caught out.
    tom

7. Likes j.sabourn, N/A, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tom i sailed regularly iN the summer breaks with my mate from the village i lived in....in a 30ft benetau in alicante ...strangely she was named GIGI....this was in the 80s ....we had great times...and had taken sailing courses in scotland beforehand with a ex naval commander whose employment after retiring was sailing school courses ...he infact taught prince charles but was very strict and navy type although could be great fun .....we anchored off a small island one night with gales forecast in the lee of the island sadly neaby was a salmon farm we had a drink and turned in.....the vessel started to drag its anchor sadly bearing down on the salmon farm i would not say he panicked but shook me and asked would i go forrrd and on his call raise the anchor ....i had leaped out of my bunk as i sleep ballocky naked and shot up forrard......sadly he was trying to start his yacht but she just wouldnt......i was standing freezing my balls off in the hail and gale ....as we carreered down dragging the anchor sadly onto the fencing of the salmon farm ...his voice was losing a tiny amount of his normal naval calmness....he got the engine firing and shouted get the anchor up.......sadly the windless would not pull at all ...i bellowed the effin effer is not working ......by now we are hitting the salmon farm surround as the anchor drags further,,,,,,cut the anchor above the chain he bellows .......i am standing then with only my dick in my hand ,,,,i shoot back down into the galley grab a bigmeat knife and cut the rope and let the anchor chain and all slip into the water ......the vessel springs forrard ...i amstanding ballocky naked with this knife in my hand on a slippery deck ...so i slung the bleedin knife over the wall as theyacht surged forrard off the salmon surround ........it was an effer to say the least ...my mate was fast asleep through all this fun and games well .....he said he was.....and the bleedin naval commander put the price of the knife on my bill at the end of the course....it was then i mutineed.....happily it failed to scare me off sailing .....but pat and my mates wife where a bit less gung ho .....anyway it filled many happy times roaring down the med in the very windy morns .....eating in little fish restaurants.....then pulling out little harbours ....putting the engine on...lashing the wheel .....the chugging slowly back uo to our harbour ....sampling the vino as we went....where did the years go......cappy PS wewent back two days later and he dived and we got the anchor back good times to look back on....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed for many years, i was a watch mate on the John Laing for a while, that was good fun. I took my RYA yachmasters, and had a commercial endorsement for some years, and did volunteer work for the sailing school, but i packed up after one trip with really bad kids, and so just sailed my own boat with the wife. One of the guys i worked with in the Fire Service had a Nic 32, sailed it single handed all over the Brittany coast, a really good seamen, he was a 2nd mate in the MN in his time, alas at 80 i would be a liability sailing a boat hard these days, but i have the memories, kt
    R689823

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#47 good job you got the right target when you chopped the rope Cappy, or is that why you speak in a high falsetto most of the time ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

keith the memories are a great source of time filling as i get older ....perhaps we dont realise how good we were at some things.....i have been very lucky with a good wife keeping me in line and standing by in my hard times....i think i have been one lucky SOB wouldnt change much in my past life perhaps some things before i met her.....but that was the spirit of youth ....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #47 good job you got the right target when you chopped the rope Cappy, or is that why you speak in a high falsetto most of the time ? JS
    must say i can get falsetto when your glass empties at the speed of a flushing toilet.......but its mainly all this gear i have to carry in my tight jeans in the front i add before you say otherwise.......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #47
    good afternoon
    well cappy, firstly i laughed out loud with the thought of you standing on deck bollick naked with your ( tool in your hand, sadly it was not man enough for the job in hand ) but finally succeeded after going and getting a bigger tool.
    great to hear your sailing history, i had myself had travelled that same road in scotland in largs so i know the area reasonably well and know of the problems with the salmon farms.
    as for the prince charles angle, princess anne has her own yacht a forty five foot rustler up there and is a regular with just her and her husband, another ex navy commander. mind i think he would have to be as i think she is one to be told.
    but your spanish trips as you say was good fun and its so good with the sunshine and obviously the vino,trouble is in the med the wind is mostly light to fickle or too strong during the summer months,unlike the wind in the uk. but still good for a jolly,
    sadly cappy the years have been stolen from us as you may be reaping the rewards of hard work now, but it never came free or without the hard work and time enough to do it.
    even today i have to make a choice go to my boat next week, and do some maintenance, or try to get her in the water as fast as possible, as its been nearly a year since i was last sailing her,imagine if its put off until next year,
    i will make that decision when i get aboard her.
    tom

15. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast