Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Blast from the Past

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Blast from the Past

TOM A LAD I KNOW IN SHIELDS SAILED WITH HIM.......WHEN HE WAS MASTER ......HE KEPT A PADLOCK ON A DRAWER IN THE CHARTROOM.....HE KEPT OPENING AND SHUTTTING THE DRAW.....NO ONE WAS ALLOWED TO SEE INSIDE ......AFTERA 20 MONTH TRIP HE LEFT THE VESSEL .......AS HE WALKED UP THE QUAY ....THE 3 MATES JEMMIED OPEN THE DRAWER........INSIDE WAS A SCRAP OF PAPER IT READ ........PORT IS LEFT AND STARBOARD IS RIGHT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #21

its always best to clean off any verdigris when scratching anywhere intimate,otherwise it may leave you with a green ring, as for the optician just stick with the eye sight problems and dont show him or her where you have been scratching,
    by the way mine and my wifes wedding rings where stolen in a burglery, and had to replace both of them.
    tom

3. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you take them off when you go to bed ? Or when you go to the toilet , smart tea leaf , must have been watching your movements , were there any hiding places in the bog. Im going to bed now before that $5 bottle of wine catches up . JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #22

i do not know how to answer that, as i always keep that imformation separately, port in my left pocket and starboard in my right when im on my boat, as i know then i cannot get the two mixed up.
    tom

6. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #24

yes we usually took them off when going to bed, and they with other bits where downstairs on a hall table,
    as for a smart tea leaf,he was a cheeky lucky bastard,as we had forgot to turn the alarm on, as it was early hours when we arrived home, and i think he was just a chancer,
    so turn in and sleep well.
    tom

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When i had my boat tom i never steered much ......but always just shouted when a risk of collision was near ......to the helmsman well what you gonna do now numb nuts..... Blind panic usually saved the day.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #27
    well you have done some racing,so you know about starts and believe me the blind leading the blind or just blind panic when thirty or forty yachts are bearing down on the starting line and they are all jockeying for position,is something else.
    as for anybody helming your boat i would hate you standing behind like the tactician shouting obscenities,
    anyway from next week i shall be able to go near my boat after six months, so at least something to look forward to.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy #27
    well you have done some racing,so you know about starts and believe me the blind leading the blind or just blind panic when thirty or forty yachts are bearing down on the starting line and they are all jockeying for position,is something else.
    As for anybody helming your boat i would hate you standing behind like the tactician shouting obscenities,
    anyway from next week i shall be able to go near my boat after six months, so at least something to look forward to.
    Tom
    well good luck tom i hope she is sound ,,,,,,i always found after leaving mine in the marina for a while there was some sort of hiccup ....but the marina engineer always suprisingly new quite quickley what was needed and smiled happily on seeing my doleful face .....as for sail racing out of scarboro or whitby there was never a massive flottila but the same s,o,bs won all the time ......isoon got fed up of being black and blue and aching for 3 or so days but it was an experience.....looking back it is one young fit mans game....happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #29
    some very good points you have made, as any boat neglected needs maintenance and plenty of it.
    but i dont allow people to work on mine, i have learned over the years that first of all they think your made of it and secondly i can do it better in most cases, i have owned my boat for nearly twenty seven years, and i have spent a fortune on her, and if her in doors ever saw how much she wouldnt be happy. but i do the work because thats the way i am,
    i have already spoken to you of the racing, and you obviously feel pain like i do, i therefore like you dont race anymore for that reason.
    but to tell the truth im going to my boat next week with a open mind and depending on whats what, i may not put her back in the water this year, and just spend the time working on her,
    tom

13. Likes Denis O'Shea, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well tom on engines andmechanics i wasnt good ...but did like to do my bright work myself ....it was a way to get peace from business .....the best was taking my good buddies down from shields sending a car for them so they could get a good few down there neck .....and just spending a weekend with proper folk.....she was always well stockedwith beer and steaks and boiled tatties with hot butter on ...even got my tatty peeler out lol.....had a good little win on the national today .....sadly one i backed was put down it takes the gloss off my winnings ...600......wife doesnt like gambling but last bet i had was over a year ago on a frog footballer scoring ...and he didnt so it all evens up......good sailing cappy

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast