Thread: A Blast from the Past

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: A Blast from the Past

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Kennedy View Post
    CQ de EJM

TFC LIST QSW 421=

Gerry Kennedy
    Dublin

Interested to hear more of Radio Officers etc.

Keith.

2. Likes Keith Tindell, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Us poor old slowcoaches on the lamp half the speed of the RN and a fraction of the speed of radio , at 6 words a minute , I can only remember CQ always being the general call to all ships , calling a ship on lamp would be a series of AA. AA AA until ship called answered with T. Then sending ship sending break sign BT, then message, after each word the receiving ship would transmit T to signify had received . At the end of the message the transmitting ship would send AR signifying end of message.and the receiving ship would send back R for message received . Procedure would be reversed when other ship replied with its own message ,with all the appropriate AA, BT , T, ARs. If you missed a word you could ask the sender to repeat by sending the appropriate code groups. JS

well john the world is turning too fast for some of us oldies ....dit dot etc ...when today i can turn my cental heating on and regulate the temp in yorkshire while being in shields on my telephone .....myself it amazes me while the grandkids all just take these things for granted.....i only recently turned on to online banking .....the mind boggles at these things .......i think perhaps beam me up scottie is truly not far away ....back to my bottle and rocking chair......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13. It’s a long way from the invention of the wheel Cappy. The one on ships is almost obsolete now as well. Never mind they may turn up in place of bilge keels before long . Just like that car of James Bond . Next time your on Shields Beach keep your eye open for some apparition coming up the beach and asking the way to Derby Street Baths to get rid of the salt. What’s in the bottle Epsom Salts ? Was having trouble with eyes so went into the opticians today to see what the obstruction was, said I had 2 little cysts jut under the lid. Suggested I put a hot tea bag on the lid to maybe clear them up, I said would green tea do , yes she said it won’t mark your shirt like a tetley bag. So am now walking around with a tea bag on my eye . She’s Irish believe it or not. Have you seen the sun this year yet . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Re: A Blast from the Past

hi john sabourn #14
    good afternoon
    a tetley tea bag for cappy is no good now as he only drinks yorkshire tea,
    as for putting them on your eyes to reduce swelling, obviously i have heard this used many times before,and old ex boxer i knew used to lance below the eye with a razor blade to get rid of black eyes and blood clots, but they where days of old when men where men, and your square rigger was running before the storm, so try this simple remedy, Rub your gold wedding ring or other gold band along the swelling of the outside of the eyelid and the stye will vanish
    its a old one but i having used it know it works, so drink the tea,
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 10th April 2021 at 01:05 PM.

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that is a true and tested method for styes on the eyelid .......me granny told me and had it once it worked but only if your ring is gold ///////ps no need to show us your ring.......thank the lord

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #16
    good afternoon, strange but yes its true, it actually works and as with your comment, only if its a gold ring,
    and the rest of the verse to that well known ditty was sing sing or show me your ring,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4 hours in the garden today john really warm but rain clouds just appearing now so came on this site for a bit of chat.......backed two horses for the national today....EW.... LONG MILE and BACRO DES FLOS......SHALL WATCH IT LATER .....CAPPY

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    that is a true and tested method for styes on the eyelid .......me granny told me and had it once it worked but only if your ring is gold ///////ps no need to show us your ring.......thank the lord
    i just hope tom that ring of his is not the one he bought in suez canal ....he tried to flog it to me ......i put it on my gold checker machine result ............nine carot brass.....and he never blinked an eyelid ......lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #19
    it turned out to be copper with 14ct gold plated, but he said he was keeping now because when he wears it his rheumatism always feels better.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do I clean off the verdigraes off the ring first . I will of course do this in private before showing the optician if necessary. I bought my wife a platinum one she said mine was was gold. However I lost that years ago swimming in Malaysia and bought a replacement , so better had stick to the tea bag. In case she finds out my ring a tiling has been replaced. Thanks for the tips though , maybe should gave been PG tips. Cheers JS
    R575129

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast