Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arisaig Greenock 1971

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arisaig Greenock 1971

hi john sabourn #10
    good morning this is just a query, i remember your recent problems with cataracts,and i was wondering if your problems where caused or aggravated by using your sextant,
    tom

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last time I usd a extant in earnest Thomas would have been in 1980 , 40 years , various short time up until about 2000 just to show some people who,were interested how to use. I never owned a micrometer sextant was only an ex RN vernier I bought for 10 quid , the navy had a few hundred after the war still in mothballs still in their grease and paper for preservation. Reading a vernier is not like reading a micrometer, with a vernier you have to screw your eye up and look through a miniature type telescope . No I don’t think that was the cause of cataracts
    More than likely it was peering into the bottom of an empty glass, that and old age. Cheers JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th April 2021 at 12:45 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welll tom he might be fading a bit in the eye sight ......but pop the top of a beer can at 50 yards and he will be beside you in a bleedin flash ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #12
    i am acquainted with the vernier sextant, but it is your anecdote of your ownership and your findings that as always lend spring to your answer,
    as for peering into the bottom of a glass which i have done my share, and i believe like you it has left me myopic, and it forces me to stare longer than necessary for the answers. my query was because i have recently been diagnosed with having a start of a cataract in my right eye, and as i own a fine drum sextant which over the last twenty five years has had a lot use i immediately thought it was the reason for the start of the said cataract.
    once again many thanks for your reply, and as always with a interesting account of your findings,
    tom.

- - - Updated - - -

hi cappy #13
    good afternoon,
    i heard tell that story, but it was said he was like a anaconda they dont see they smell their prey.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tried teaching Cappy how to use but he couldn’t get past the first principle that the angle of dangle equaled the heat of the beat . He also insisted on wearing a monocle said it made him look him more distinguished. I’m off to bed now it’s past my bedtime 6 bells won’t tell you what watch , you’ll have to work it out . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #15

cappys problem with the monocle was caused by him getting too close trying to peer into the green lipped japanese mussel, which he has already said is his favourite, but it squirted back into his good right eye, so ever since he has had to wear the monocle.
    so as your watch was finished at six bells i presume you where on first watch.
    tom

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi john sabourn #15

cappys problem with the monocle was caused by him getting too close trying to peer into the green lipped japanese mussel, which he has already said is his favourite, but it squirted back into his good right eye, so ever since he has had to wear the monocle.
    so as your watch was finished at six bells i presume you where on first watch.
    tom

well it was only when he mentioned the angle of the dangle i got worried .....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #17
    i just presumed that you where checking the angle of the dangle to get the right trajectory , before lining up to go right in.
    tom

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember that song catch a falling star and put it in your pocket think Perry Como sang it , if you can you are showing your age, if I had been a songwriter I would of thought of something in the lines of a sextant of Shoot a shooting star , and put it in your crotchet . Cheers JS
    First watch of what , not the dog watches ,far to early to go to bed , and they didn’t have six bells , only the 7 bells the chief steward used to dish out on a Saturday night , unless he was flogging it elsewhere. Unless he delegated the job to Cappy who would of drank it all himself anyway. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th April 2021 at 12:55 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Thomas .
    I think at this late stage it wouldn't have been the use of the sextant, when I had my cataract removed I was told as you get older there is more chance of getting them, as you will have read on site quite a few including my self have had them removed and a new lens put in, do it before it gets to bad.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast