Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cargo shift in rough seas

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cargo shift in rough seas

This is a short clip of a cargo ship with shifting cargo in rough seas, one person rescued after going overboard, and the ship being monitored by Norwegian coast guard, kt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-56655756
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: cargo shift in rough seas

There is also a more informative article about the ship on the gcaptain website.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty rough ride there! Reminders of some trips through the Bay of Biscay!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'Eemslift Hendrika' I see we had the usual expert opinions from 'Our Shipping Correspondents' wondering why if the vessel was in danger of sinking why didn't they release some of the boats on deck and slide them into the sea, eh! bah! gum, I bet the crew wished they' thought of that!

Lewis McColl Guest

Well spotted by the Helo crew and getting that poor lad out of the sea. I wonder did last man off hit the emergency stop as she looked as if she was still under way? Probably the least of your worries though.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brought back memories of going over the side.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Thanks Kenneth Rose thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des I remember mates if they had known you were going to be washed overboard would have stuck a paintbrush in your hand and told you to touch up the bootopping whilst you were swimming around, and not to loose the brush. When Cappy talks about pumping up the domestic water every day, same ship , I used to have to pump up the tank on the monkey Island , it was the farmers job, and as we were on the 4;8 this was done at 1910 hours. Whenever it was my farmer and the mate used to come off watch he used to go in the shower and halfway through the water used to run out , he swore blind I did it on purpose. Used to,say I would never get a ticket As :long as I had an aperture in my rectum , today I would of had him up for slander . All those years ago and now I have a theory , that the master used to use the water before the mate came off watch and would never say so. Coming down from Japan to Oz to load grain , all hands and the cook were down the holds putting up shifting boards and feeders, the old man fell from the tween decks into the lower holds bouncing off the tank top and narrowly missing me as was down the bilges. Putting my detective asperations into action it would of been a good method of the mate killing two birds with one stone , and also getting promotion at the same time. Coming out of the hold the 2 mate was hanging out of the wheelhouse window shouting down to me is the basket dead. The same 2 mate I sailed with as mate when he was master and he was one of the good ones , I hope he is still alive and well. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th April 2021 at 03:41 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminds me somewhat of going through the Great Australian Bight, rough as guts but at least we had engine power.
    With no such power it is going to be a long rough ride for them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john the real prob after hand pumping up the shower i found was turning on the steam valve to get the water hot in the tiny tank ...just a crack open too much and the resultant water took your skin off .....by the time you switched it off ...you had to hand pump more water to cool it down ...then in northern climes it was a cold shower .....the curses coming from that shower ....would have brought davy jones up to see what was going on......jeez i have just seen the accom on one of them maersk vessels like a night in the ritz.....the apprentice on her when i joined was a big guy called batty or similar in later years he had let his house out and when he came back the cannibis growers had transformed it ...but the police had demolished the cannabis growing gear and most of the house as well but those days of hardships has long gone in this country .....most ships accom is pretty good now.....keep well cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing John is that I'm no longer afraid of a cold shower, I had to have one the other day when the heater went in our tank, mind you I wouldn't do that to often.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast