Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MV ORARI model

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV ORARI model

Hi John. Good to hear from you. Have attached some more pics of my time on the Orari but doubt if any of the crew shown would still have been aboard in 1955.
    I fell in love with N.Z. the first trip I made here. There were no class barriers and everybody treated me like a friend. Can remember chatting with a gate cop in Lyttelton one time and he advised me to jump ship. He said "You'll only get 4 weeks jail and can then get a job and settle down!" I eventually entered through the front door in 1953 and have only been back to the U.K. once, in 1977. Now closing in on 95, I'm still fully compos mentis but a bit deficient in the bodily mechanics! Regards. Chas
    My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-22-14 PM 511x347.jpg My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-24-32 PM 308x384.jpg My Ships. -021. -003.jpg

2. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Palmer View Post
    It is indeed a beautiful model; of which you should be proud! I think that we are all getting to be over the hill; as for me, I think that I am over it and proceeding down the other side, it seems to me at speed. Thanks for the memories. Anthony J. Palmer
    Thanks for your comments Anthony, I am indeed very proud of the model, glad it brought back memories for you, I think we we are all very priviliged to be able to have such memories . Yep, I suppose we are all knocking on a bit now and have reached the stage where life stops giving and starts taking, but we still have to make the most of what we'vegot, my cousin used to say "I'm going down hill faster than a man falling off a cliff" ,
    wish you all the best, cheers, John Collier.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 5th March 2021 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BRITISH CHANCELLOR.jpg
    When i served on the British Chancellor as a radio officer, I often got bored in between watches, so one day I offered to help the 1st mate with his chart corrections, out of this, he often gave me old charts to make models with. I then made a model of the ship in this chart paper, which is very stiff and ideal for the job. This model I brought home with me. When I retired to keep me active, I decided to make ship models as a hobby, starting off with a London port tug, then Cutty Sark, Victory and numerous others, then moved into radio controlled models, one day, I thought it might be a good idea to make a model of the British Chancellor, using my card model, and to make the model radio controlled, which I did, the results are attached. I served on her from April 1957 to April 1958, we carried both crude and fuel oils, travelling to the Persian Gulf, Philadelphia, and the West coast of Africa most oF the time. Happy days! (ALSO ATTACHED IS A PICTURE OF MY CARD MODEL).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don Butler; 17th March 2021 at 01:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3