Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MV ORARI model

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV ORARI model

In the Wellington Maratine Museum in NZ there are a number of similar models including one of the DM.
    All first class and complete in detail.
    Like yours John a credit to those who made them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Could you add yours.

K.

4. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11.. when I was in the same museum John , what caught my eye were the instruments not models that forget which Antarctic Explorer used. In particular the sextant which was a quarter of its usual size.probably to cut back on weight . Something that would not usually think about. Was a very interesting museum . JS
    R575129

Lewis McColl Guest

It has been a few years since I have been to the maritime museum in Liverpool and they have some amazing ships models on display. A lot are from the Builders yards which were then presented to the owners for display in the head office. As a lot of shipping companies have disappeared from Liverpool and the UK in general models have been donated to maritime museums around the country. As mentioned on my last visit to Liverpool maritime museum I thought the display was good , then I thought the display was a bit thin on the ground and smaller since my last visit. I asked one of the guys working there if that was the case that the numbers of models on display had been reduced. Yes they have some are removed for restoration work others have been removed as we need the space for other exhibits. Also others are replacing some of the older models with newer type ships of a more modern era as they generate more interest. He did say they never destroy a model unless it is beyond repair, some arrive in poor condition because they have been found in some former shipping companies basement somewhere and are riddled with wood worm or damp. I know the models I would rather look at when I am there and the likes Johns , M.V ORARI would now be on that list, reasons being the obvious care and attention to detail John has put into it and the fact it is all done by hand. Some of the newer models on display while good are likely to be moulded GRP or glorified AIRFIX kits. There is a model in the Liverpool maritime museum of the TITANIC it is huge and the detail is amazing, they say it is TITANIC but I believe it is the actually the model of the OLYMPIC as she was the first of the class but she bears name TITANIC because she was the ship that made the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi John.
    Beautiful model, I have down loaded it to show my son, he loves making models made one of the Cutty Sark for my birthday a few years ago.
    Your model took me back to the NZ coast and all those lovely UK ships running the coast.
    Des
    Thanks for that Des, I consider that to be a very nice compliment from someone who knows, glad it brought back memories for you, as the song says,
    "Those were the days my friend". The model is wired internally and looks absolutely beautiful when lit up, it looks very realistic, the man that
    made the model told me he made the CUTTY SARK model that is in the Greenwich Maritime Museum, The last time I was at the museum I saw
    Neptune walking the museum, painted light green, draped in plastic seaweed, he was bare footed, carrying a Trident and looking totally peed off .
    All the best to you and yours Des, cheers

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John F Collier View Post
    Very nice indeed.
    Take's me back to when I was a kid, visiting various 'shipping offices' with my Dad.
    Whilst he was doing whatever he had to do, I would wander about the foyers of these offices, spending ages looking at super models such as this.
    In that case of course, the shipping companies had paid craftsmen to make the models of ships in that shaiiping company's fleet.
    Ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello John. I crewed on the Orari as an Asst. Steward from May 1946 to June 1947. I had my 21st birthday aboard her on the day we sailed round Cape Horn with some prize sheep bound for Buenos Aires. Yes, she was a happy ship. Have attached some pics taken during my time on her. Regards. Chas Cooper.
    My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-21-36 PM 800x516.jpg My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-22-02 PM 800x493.jpg My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-22-30 PM 800x600.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stories were circulating that when the demolition men moved into the Clyde Yards, ship models that had been on display were dumped in the skips.
    Many years ago I watched a programme on TV about Fyffes the yacht builder of Fairlie, apparent this guy had the savvy to raid the drawing office and retrieve all the old drawings of yachts the company had built. The guy was quite please with himself and showed the presenter a D.O. cabinet full of drawings. A museum curator was invited to discuss the findings and suggested that to the owner that the drawings would be best preserved in a museum under controlled conditions and not in a garden shed, which was damp.
    The owner of the drawings refused to part with his gains.
    Vic

12. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb Cooper View Post
    Hello John. I crewed on the Orari as an Asst. Steward from May 1946 to June 1947. I had my 21st birthday aboard her on the day we sailed round Cape Horn with some prize sheep bound for Buenos Aires. Yes, she was a happy ship. Have attached some pics taken during my time on her. Regards. Chas Cooper.
    My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-21-36 PM 800x516.jpg My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-22-02 PM 800x493.jpg My Ships. -021.001 9-23-2013 12-22-30 PM 800x600.jpg
    Hi Chas, thank you for the pics, I did four trips on ORARI from 1955 -57, in my time with her she was alays a happy ship with a good crew, the
    cooks name was Tom Nolan, one time, just before the old man came through on his inspection, the galley boy wrote on the blacboard in large letters,
    "Eat at Tom Nolans's, 10 Million Flies can't be wrong" Tom took it all in good part, and said even the old man had a smile on his face, another time,
    we were having a laugh in the galley just before lunch time, Joe thecaptains tiger came through on his way to the saloon, wearing his black trews and white jacket, he stopped to join in the banter, as he left the baker patted him on his backside Joe went off laughing, what he didn't know was the baker
    had dipped his hand in the flour trough, poor old Joe, he served lunch with a perfect white hand print on the seat of his pants and nobody told him.
    MV ORARI was sold in 1958 to an Italian Company and renamed CAPO BIANCO, sheserved her new owner until she was scrapped in 1970, Ironic really
    as the Italians had tried so hard to sink her when she was on the Maltese Convoy Opperation Harpoon. My brother in law Tom Townsend was also an A/S caught the last 6 months of the war and also sailed on ORARI, he was MN from 45 to 50, so it's possible you may have been shipmates?, cheers, John Collier.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 4th March 2021 at 02:29 PM.

14. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is indeed a beautiful model; of which you should be proud! I think that we are all getting to be over the hill; as for me, I think that I am over it and proceeding down the other side, it seems to me at speed. Thanks for the memories. Anthony J. Palmer

16. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast