Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coal shipments from the tyne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coal shipments from the tyne

The very last cargo of coal to be shipped from the Tyne, left this morning at 00.50hrs.
    12,000 tonnes on board the MV Longwave, departed for Belgium.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Coal shipments from the tyne

Thanks Tony, nice to get back to normal
    and something of interest.

K

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TONY sad time really but it finished our colliers many moons ago ...a tough breed of seaman in often very small vessels ....in all weathers ...interesting how they often had a crowd half cockney half geordie out the tyne ....watch ashore cockneys london....up north watch ashore geordies only joined one the corfen .....assistant steward ......but went regular in the flamma to london with my granda will cram from 10 year old ....good strong little vessels.....they would be tied up to buoys at harton staithes ....learned to scull there ist thing always spit in the water to see speed of tide ....little things come back to mind ....i courted a lovely girl in shields whose father was lost on the SSHalo.....in which my granda was blown over the wall but survived ....she and i did not know they had been on the halo at the same time .....many colliers were lost from the tyne ...sad times hard lives....nothing lasts for ever ,,,proper seamen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought they had stopped exporting coal from the Tyne years ago. I can remember seeing coal being unloaded at Tyne dock in 2011 and thinking then it was the end. I can't remember the ships name but I was told at the time it was the biggest fully loaded ship to come into the river. Working next door at McNulty's we saw a few ships discharge coal there.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    I thought they had stopped exporting coal from the Tyne years ago. I can remember seeing coal being unloaded at Tyne dock in 2011 and thinking then it was the end. I can't remember the ships name but I was told at the time it was the biggest fully loaded ship to come into the river. Working next door at McNulty's we saw a few ships discharge coal there.
    Regards Michael
    It was shipped by Hargeaves from an open cast site to the east of Durham City

6. Thanks Michael Black, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a quick look on interweb and found this .
    The largest cargo vessel ever to moor at port of Tyne has arrived in the river bringing coals to Newcastle.The 750ft (230 metre) long Alam Penting with a cargo of 75,000 tonnes of coal from New Orleans destined for power stations in Yorkshire. 5 August 2011.
    Source BBC news. Sorry don't know how to post link's.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny old thing coal, I remember loading coal in Barry in the 50's taking it to Antwerp, discharging it, moving across the dock to another berth and loading coal for Cardiff. We also had to clean the holds before loading the coal for Cardiff. You learn a lot at sea from the cargoes you carry, we took chrome ore from South Africa to the USA who had plenty of the stuff, but apparently not weapons grade. We took USA grain from Canada to China when China and the USA had no diplomatic relations and a trade embargo. The Canadian stevedores advised us that Canada could not grow that type of grain and as they loaded thousands of tons of it every day, we thought they knew what they were talking about. We took rice from mainland China (during their famine period) to Indonesia during Sarkano's period. Too many varied cargoes to mention that moved from A to B through Z because of politics and embargoes that never saw daylight in the Press.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some funny times with cargo, at least now when i look back. I was on a Baltic boat, and we had one of the tween deck loaded with 45 gallon drums, containing some sort of oil, anyone trying to lash drums knows how difficult that is. There was also sacks of yellow paint powder, and yep, the drums managed to wriggle free in heavy weather, rolled into the paint powder, some drums split, and the result was a joy to see. We were sent down to re-lash the drums, and the whole deck crew from Bosun to deck boy ended up looking like bloody canaries. We tried to claim for damaged work gear, but this was early sixties, so you can guess were the claim for that went
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any natural resources that this country has are becoming scarce like oil and natural gas, I was led to believe that there were still billions of tons of coal left in the U.K. In fact about 187 billion tonnes. Because of the cost of extracting it and the environmental problems when burning it. At this point in time the best solution is to leave it where it is until the technology is in place to extract it both economically and burn it in a way that does not poison the environment. It appears that scientists are working on solutions to the latter. So I expect that Tony's thread might read in the future 'The very first cargo of coal shipped from the Tyne since February 2020 left this morning at 1100 hrs. On the BRITISH REGISTERED SHIP M/V ??? The 5 newly built sister ships to M/V ???(All built on the Tyne) belonging to that famous Newcastle shipping company Stephenson Clarke await there turns to load 12000 tonnes of coal for export to Belgium. We are all allowed to dream
    Last edited by john walker; 19th February 2021 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    Any natural resources that this country has are becoming scarce like oil and natural gas, I was led to believe that there were still billions of tons of coal left in the U.K. In fact about 187 billion tonnes. Because of the cost of extracting it and the environmental problems when burning it. At this point in time the best solution is to leave it where it is until the technology is in place to extract it both economically and burn it in a way that does not poison the environment. It appears that scientists are working on solutions to the latter. So I expect that Tony's thread might read in the future 'The very first cargo of coal shipped from the Tyne since February 2020 left this morning at 1100 hrs. On the BRITISH REGISTERED SHIP M/V ??? The 5 newly built sister ships to M/V ???(All built on the Tyne) belonging to that famous Newcastle shipping company Stephenson Clarke await there turns to load 12000 tonnes of coal for export to Belgium. We are all allowed to dream
    John you are right, in this area there is still plenty high quality coal, however it became too expensive to extract; in this area the inland seams where the best coal is the seams are are very small, I have been in a 2' 6" seam myself and I was aware of an 18" seam in the same mine, still worked by hand due to the difficulty in using machines in such confined space.
    One of the other factors in my opinion was the waste I saw which I believe was due to the attitude that developed in nationalised industries (I saw it in British Steel after I came ashore). when I was on leave I would often take a walk up to the pit, a few hundred yards from my parents house and every time I would be dismayed at the wanton waste every where; perfectly good nuts and bolts lying around in the pit yard, brand new electric motors worth thousands sitting around outside, switch gear, reels of cable, all sorts of decent kit going to waste, Then I would think back to my last trip, any trip in fact where we would be scratching around for decent nuts and bolts, taking kit apart and ditching only the worst bits, bin nothing if it might come in handy.
    All these factors led to the demise of the coal industry.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast