Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coal shipments from the tyne

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Coal shipments from the tyne

#18 Understand what you are saying John , but there is no disputing Nuclear Power is dangerous if and when it goes wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...ents-list-rank

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And organised their meets via mobile phones Ivan, kt
    R689823

4. Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent many a good day getting covered in coal dust in the Tyne and the north East coast on one of Cory's the Corfleet. as Cappy said there were Londoners and Northerners, but I was piggy in the middle so spent time on anchor watch in both places, and as he said that was when you learnt how to scull, especially when in the Thames with an outgoing tide and you had to bring a drunken crew back aboard. But probably one of the best ships i was on was the little Leadsman, popping into small ports all up and down the East coast.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

middlemount and bundaberg queensland australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi des, was the leadsman an ex chant?

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, any thing can be dangerous if not used correctly or maintained in the correct manner.
    Modern day nuclear is far safer now then ever, we have nuclear ships and there is talk of even box boats maybe driven by this in the future.

France is I understand the largest user of nuclear power and sells the excess to Germany.

But if we take the view that something may be dangerous we may never have reached the moon, Cappy is upset as there is no cheese there, sent rovers to Mars.

The first cars had a man with a red flag in front, but now we kill people with them.

I agree so many things in life are a risk, but going out each day can be so, you never know what is around the corner.

But I do enjoy your comments, not afraid to speak your mind and that is good, heaven forbid the day free speech is ouitlawed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    I spent many a good day getting covered in coal dust in the Tyne and the north East coast on one of Cory's the Corfleet. as Cappy said there were Londoners and Northerners, but I was piggy in the middle so spent time on anchor watch in both places, and as he said that was when you learnt how to scull, especially when in the Thames with an outgoing tide and you had to bring a drunken crew back aboard. But probably one of the best ships i was on was the little Leadsman, popping into small ports all up and down the East coast.
    Des
    the leadsman was a regular in and out the tyne des .......those days were good days ....the tyne was one busy river ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Des Taff Jenkins;368454]I spent many a good day getting covered in coal dust in the Tyne and the north East coast on one of Cory's the Corfleet. /QUOTE]

Des, sailed on a steam coal burning flattie (Hackney)from Tyne to Thames, Battersea Power Station, lowering the funnel to go under the bridges covered you in clinging soot on standby down aft, as well as choking the life out of you. Also sailed on Stevie Clarkes Totland, Broadhurst, Henfield, couple of others, well run ships, but boring trade routes, couldn't wait to get back deep sea, sunshine and uncertainty of next port, Cuban girls were a bit different to Whitely Bay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Ivan, those lovely Cuban girls,I wuz robbed, turned away from there in the Cuban missile crisis, never got back in my time at sea. I did go there 6 years ago on my wedding anniversary, with my dear wife of course, the lovely ladies still abound, and fortunately they cannot hang you or divorce you for what you think, lol kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Well Ivan, those lovely Cuban girls,I wuz robbed, turned away from there in the Cuban missile crisis, never got back in my time at sea. I did go there 6 years ago on my wedding anniversary, with my dear wife of course, the lovely ladies still abound, and fortunately they cannot hang you or divorce you for what you think, lol kt
    Get hung drawn and quartered for looking in our house ...but put my shades on and gawp like a ist tripper

Lewis McColl Guest

Just have a read of this article John. It is about Fukushima nuke plant. https://nuclear-news.net/category/fukushima-2020/

France is 70% dependent on Nuclear power. They have just agreed to extend the life of 32 nuke reactors? for a further 10 years, that will bring hem past 50 years old. Germany have decided no more nuke stations. We can be as carful as we like with nuke power, all we need to do is tame mother nature lol.
    The UK are building new nuke plants on the south coast. I believe they are planning on using a French designed reactor which the French have been struggling to get up and running
    A third-generation reactor called EPR and under construction since 2007 in Flamanville in northern France was supposed to go online in 2012, but the launch date has been delayed repeatedly and is now fixed for next year.

Flamanville's cost has run over 10 billion euros, more than three times the initial estimate.

Once operational, it will have an estimated life span of 60 years.

The UK have or are planning to have a Chinese firm involved in the building of the new plants? Only a couple of months ago the Chinese Ambassador threatened the UK live on British TV .
    China's Ambassador to London Liu Xiaoming warned the British government that if Huawei is blocked from developing 5G networks then it will hurt Chinese trade and investment relationship with the United Kingdom (UK). “It will send a very bad message not only to Huawei but also to Chinese businesses,” Ambassador Liu Xiaoming told the BBC.

I would not trust the Chinese anywhere near a Nuclear building site in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.

It has taken a couple of hundred years to pollute the world using fossil fuels but as soon as we reduce there use the air quality we breath improves. There have been at least two major nuclear accidents in the last 40 years. Chernobyl 1986. The fallout from that is still felt today here in the UK and across Europe. Soil samples in places like Wales still show radiation levels are higher than pre 1986 also Cumbria but those may be from the odd hiccup from Sellafield.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield

I am not in favour of nuclear power plants , it only needs to go wrong once and the world pays a heavy price just to keep the lights on . In the UK we have the sea all around us , the tide comes in and out twice a day(4 times at Dover?) What is wrong with tidal power. There are alternatives to Nuclear power and they are all clean energy. That is just my take on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast