Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: we think we had it tough

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    This was when a days work meant just that, real ships being built,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmo898WmKfM

that was excellent keith the sounds bought back the background noise of my childhood .....yes it was hard work and so little machinery to help there task ....a guy directly across the road to us was cut completely when a ships plate fell and just cut him in two ...i can remember the screams when she was told....and the whole street out for the funeral.....nobody went to school that day....it was hard work just to eke a living....good old days my ass...cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great old Video thanks
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find the music and the timbre of the voices so of that era, we never hear that today.
    My GGF was a riveter in Sunderland ship yard and his father a chain maker.
    Hard work but very satisfying, the men who worked on them had great pride it what they did.
    They worked hard, drank hard and went to the football every Saturday afternoon.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Solid background built on hard work,
    helped you become a captain?

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Keith in a lot of cases a masters position in years gone by was given for faithful service and usually came at the age when one was getting infirm and couldn’t get up and down vertical hold ladders like one could when younger. This was the Tramp ship master of my early years at sea. I sailed with masters sometimes in their 70s . A younger man could have done it but a lot would have preferred the job they had rather than sit in their cabin and try not to interfere. At the opposite end of the spectrum a passenger liner master was probably chosen for his looks and his skills at the social level. I have sailed fortuanetley only with about two as thick as pigs sniffs for want of a better word. Don’t ever think a ship is run by one man, a ship is only as good as its weakest member. A ship is run by a trained team of persons and not by one Jehovah’s Witness. A master who interferes in others jobs past his own knowledge is asking for perpetual trouble on board. He is there to delegate to others for all the jobs he can’t do .
    And he’s also there to carry the blame when things go wrong. He is not super man or superwoman as today, he also has to blend in to the working of the ship. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th February 2021 at 08:23 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All very romantic on film, but hard work in reality, and alas a system of shipbuilding and a reluctance to change helped lose our shipbuilding industry. Yes it was hard work, but I suspect that every manual job was in that time, otherwise you were out on your ass, yes and dangerous, not quite as dangerous as crossing the oceans in WWII and the living and working conditions on those ships was no picnic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My home town used to resonate from the noise of the ships under construction. Alas no more, replaced by a Tesco, Pub and B&Q.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    My home town used to resonate from the noise of the ships under construction. Alas no more, replaced by a Tesco, Pub and B&Q.
    Vic
    Virtually the same in every ex port Vic, The fish docks in Hull with excess of 400 vessels is now a shopping mall, it's called progress. Nearly everywhere its either a shopping mall or a marina. Used to sail into Poole town quay with either coal or timber, always young kids coming down to the quay wonder how many it influenced into a sea career looking at the 'big' ship. Everything is big when you're young!
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 17th February 2021 at 10:08 AM.

Lewis McColl Guest

I can remember going on a school trip to H&W in the 50's for a ship being launched, I am sure it was the Pendennis Castle. I can also remember seeing this being lifted. I think Brian may have sailed on her , Esso Ulidia 1970/1983. big lift.jpg that is some lump of metal hanging off that crane. That lift was carried out by Goliath built in 1969 as Samson was not built until 1974. It would be fantastic to so those cranes being put to doing the work again involved in ship building. I would imagine they would be restricted now to what they could lift. Just been looking on the H&W site they are still saying 840 ton SWL so looks as if they are still maintained , hope so. I know they were still working a few years ago as they were using the dock for Wind turbine production.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast