Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Time used at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Time used at sea.

hi john sabourn #28

in all seriousness over the watch you would be better putting it back in the box and asking your wife to exchange it for something cheaper and for her to use the rest to buy a present for herself.
    but my question to you is what does to run their Eastern down mean.
    tom

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    well john i have reached the stage where i feel i dont need any more technology ....one suggestion would be send the watch to your grandson ...for his birthday ....but then he has probably had one for years ......talking about for years it was minus 21 point 9 in scotland last night ....the lowest for umpteen years .....global warming ....all hot air....regards cappy
    hi cappy #29
    the bbc have declared january was the coldest on record for the last twenty years, as you state global warming what global warming.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post#31. Hi Thomas. Running your Easter Down. John S. & Capt. Kong would probably express it better.
    In the days of the sailing ships in the southern ocean between the latitudes 40 & 50 degrees south the winds known as the " Roaring Forties " blow west to east all year round. If going to the Antipodes to be in these water with no land mass between some of the fasted speeds were recorded. Enclose an extract by R.A. Fletcher for In days of the Tall Ships.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The word Time is probably one of the most used words in our life and we use without realising it and knowing its true implications
    We arrive in this world On Time Before Time or After Time. From then on it is there for good.
    A Time to be born and a Time to die.
    A Time. To behave and a Time to let your hair down.
    A Time to go to school and a Time to go home.
    There is Dinner Time, Breakfast Time , and Suppertime, a Time to go to bed and a Time to get up.
    Time goes by and Time stands still for no man.
    Time is our greatest enemy and our greatest friend
    Time heals all wounds
    Time also kills us.
    Time is the world we live in and yet we give it little thought it is just a word. But when you think about it, it is just about the most important word there is , it is used daily thousands of times and never noticed.
    JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33 Shows that the shortest distance ( as regards time again ) is not always a straight line between 2 points. For the non navigators drawing a straight line on a Mercator chart between Liverpool and New York is not the shortest distance , this would have to be drawn on a gnomic chart and courses picked off with a protractor. The shortest distance is the arc of a great circle and courses would have to be altered daily at least. If Capt.Smith of Titanic reknown was still alive , no doubt he would have a say in the matter. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on a Union Steam ship the Karatani that loaded wheat in port Lincoln in South Australia. Now I don't know if the Time from there to Timaru on the East coast of the South Island of NZ was quicker going South around Tasmania and NZ, but being winter I know we took a battering from the Southern Ocean, and were lucky no sea got into the holds. I hope the Skipper saved some Time for the shipowner.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#36 Seems an unusual way to go Des but may have been a reason for it apart from time. Fuel maybe. Know it can get rough anywhere in the Bight area. All ships on the Australian coast come under the Ausrep reporting system from Canberra and have to report in every 6 hours or so. If you dont report in they will have search aircraft out looking for you. Twice have nearly come unstuck due to radio malfunction but managed to ask other vessels to report me in over the VHF. The reporting in or Ausrep as known was all ships within 600 miles off Australia. So someone would of known where you were if its any consolation. Cheers JS..
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time in seasons.

Spring. We are young, fit and adventurous we look in wonder at the new world we are experiencing. The sights, sounds and smells.
    We rush in without thought of the consequences, nothing can hurt us, we are invincible. Strangely nothing does hurt us, luck is on our side. The days of laughter, friendships and opportunities.

Summer. Now we are are the teachers. We teach the new springtimers our skills, which ships to take and which ones to avoid. We warn them of the dangers. We show what is expected of them, respect, cleanliness, tidiness and a willingness to learn.

Autumn. The old men of the sea. We have seen everything, done everything. Our way of life has changed, our skills no longer needed. Ships have changed, crews have changed. The values of genuine friendship and camaraderie we held so dear are gone. It is every man for himself, it is a world we no longer fit into and one we no longer want to be part of.

Winter. We sit in our armchair, the television is off because it is a distraction to our thoughts. We can only talk of our life with those who have shared it. We only ever talk of the good times but there were many bad times we choose to forget. On reflection we had the opportunity to lead a unique life, it educated us, made us more open minded and tolerant of other lifestyles, it made us the men we are today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

most of the generation you speak of have gone or are very near the winter of our lives ....but different things now give us pleasure ie grandchildren ...and a knowledge only time can accumalate .....the winter of our lives is seeing joy in children grandchildren and friends who have survived the blitz of life ......life is good we know so much .....but our young ones are like we were....making decisions as we did ....some good some bad ...it is there spring .....i enjoy the winter of my life just suiting myself for a change ...and enjoying it ....my grandson sent me a song ...called I THOUGHT HE WALKED ON WATER .....perhaps my scots friend may put it on sight ....it is a good song for old grandas ....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    most of the generation you speak of have gone or are very near the winter of our lives ....but different things now give us pleasure ie grandchildren ...and a knowledge only time can accumalate .....the winter of our lives is seeing joy in children grandchildren and friends who have survived the blitz of life ......life is good we know so much .....but our young ones are like we were....making decisions as we did ....some good some bad ...it is there spring .....i enjoy the winter of my life just suiting myself for a change ...and enjoying it ....my grandson sent me a song ...called I THOUGHT HE WALKED ON WATER .....perhaps my scots friend may put it on sight ....it is a good song for old grandas ....regards cappy
    marion sorry but dont bother with the video song as the one sent to me is no longer on site ...soz cappy

12. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast