Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Dr's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Double Dr's

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Some of the officers I knew as officers steward came up with some of the oddest actions even to the extent of drinking the Meths used in the compass gimble.
    Compass bowl John, Compass Bowl! The Gimbals were of made of brass. Wasn't meths John, it was alcohol (didn't freeze) : sorry blue!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #24..Should be DR DR and not doctor doctor .Victoria.
    Yes my mistake. I hit the keyboard and could not fix it up.
    Sorry for the confusion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes alcohol has other purposes apart from drinking . Good job it wasn’t suitable for marine barometers and thermometers etc. but the substitute there was mercury. Try drinking that !!! Also as regards glass tubes mercury had a bigger difference in the coefficient of expansion. Which was needed as well as it’s freezing point.can just. Imagine the stores list going in for hundreds of thermometers every trip otherwise. Would be quite groovy filling up your drinking glass from pouring out of a thermometer. Going to someone’s cabin for a drink would of been BYO thermometer. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

when we arrived in adelaide via LA FRISCO .....PITCAIRN much to old roberts disgust .....we hit the jetty one hell of a bang ......we later had the diver down for a repair .....it was at this time the cook asked me to take to buckets up to the bar at the top of the jetty as the closing time in the days of the swill was near......others chipped in with foreign money ie canadian and yankee dollars and other money .....i was told just telll him to fill the buckets with beer and keep all the money ....and keep close to the ships side coming back so the old bugger cant see you.......off i trotted up the jetty i believe the bar was called the alkali.....but not 100 percent sure .......any way the buckets were passed onto the bar and filled .....now two buckets filled with beer to the brim are quite heavy .......off i trotted back down the jetty....keeping close to the sideas i got near the cragmoor......suddenly the loudest roar from the wing of the bridge .....what do you think you are doing you little twat .....my answer to my nemesis was i dont know ,,,,you dont know you dont know ...whats in those buckets ...which of course he new ...beer ses i .....who sent you ...louder voice who sent you ....by now iwas really wobbling....i dont know i said .....you dont know are you stupid altogether weve been out six months and you dont know... by then i was really wobbling .....throw that lot in the water now ......i recall someone shouting you are an old cunt....roberts bawling who said that who said that ....during this going on .i chucked both buckets into the water ...turning back to roberts bellowed where are the xxxxxx buckets ....jeez were are they coming from ...you will pay for them buckets then he shot off ...i can remember almost word for word that going on ...and i was one worried boy rating....i think perhaps him having to tell head office he had hit the jetty hard didnt help my situation ......but months later when we paid off ....there was no charge for the buckets .....the cook clever bugger said you should have drunk the beer on the keyside .....to which my reply was why didnt you drink it or something similar ...i then dodged a kick and shot of ...wishing i was back in shields......but as jws has stated in the past god knows what he went through a few years earlier during the war......runcimans lost a lot of vessels and crew ....i have never forgot tis incident all my life R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All those masters in Runcimans had been on Runciman ships during the war Cappy. Your Seppy Kincaid and Axel Lindberg also. Marian found out that Axel was the recipient of the BEM , and am sure that must of been from the episode of the days hanging on to a body. Over the gun whales of a lifeboat in the North Atlantic. Think I sent you the info.Unless they were full of themselves most would not talk about it. If sometimes they did it was in their cups and if ashore usually finished up as a replica of what WW111 would look like , so sometimes was best left alone. There’s not many left today . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    All those masters in Runcimans had been on Runciman ships during the war Cappy. Your Seppy Kincaid and Axel Lindberg also. Marian found out that Axel was the recipient of the BEM , and am sure that must of been from the episode of the days hanging on to a body. Over the gun whales of a lifeboat in the North Atlantic. Think I sent you the info.Unless they were full of themselves most would not talk about it. If sometimes they did it was in their cups and if ashore usually finished up as a replica of what WW111 would look like , so sometimes was best left alone. There’s not many left today . Cheers JS
    john the two you mention seppy and axel were true seamen of that age ...they had away about them..they were so respected old roberts always had time for them ...they were part of my ist tramp adventures and are a very proud part of my life as was old roberts himself ..it is an age long gone now.... proper seamen ....proper ships.....the world your oyster.....would never ever want to change that which made a boy into a man of the world.....happy days ...mostly..... R 683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know Seamen, Firemen , etc got DR's but what about Mates, Skippers, and Engineers? I can't recall if they were eligible for the same treatment.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Raymond Money thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes they were Des. I could also vouch for this but not going into the realms of too much Privacy. However when you go into the realms of giving a certificated officer a DR or any other discharge for Ability you are literally saying whoever gave him that certificate didnt know his rectum from his elbow so beware of a very violent counter attack. A master had the authority to disrate a seaman but not the authority to remove a cert. of competency. In our earlier times a seaman going up for a certificate/ comp. would be barred from the examination if when putting his papers in he had bad discharges in his record. Anyone else that tells you different is living in a world of his own. Unless of course the standards today have dropped that low it is immaterial. You couldnt give the master a DR there is no one above the master on a ship as regards the law as to the working of that ship. Besides that the master did not require a discharge in his book , he was the only one who didnt. He legally didnt even have to have a book. As regards his seatime if required for any records his name and certificate number was always on the back of the ships Register and was literally the owner of the vessel as to any claims made against such. He was the only person on the vessel who did not have a lien on the ship as against non payment of wages. be it shipwreck or foundering. The biggest reason why in any malfunction on a ship of whatever the type, it is always the Master who is arrested even though the Chief dropped his oil can in the water. Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th January 2021 at 01:54 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Compass bowl John, Compass Bowl! The Gimbals were of made of brass. Wasn't meths John, it was alcohol (didn't freeze) : sorry blue!
    Yes Ivan, got it a bit mixed up but not as mixed up as the First officer who drank it.
    Then the South African junior 4th who made some grog from Pineapple skins in a bucket in his locker.
    Like many of the others drank some weird stuff at times.
    Another used to brew something up with prunes and surgical spirit.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    went upstairs in gleasons to get your beers ...for some reason my mate and i climbed out a window down the drainpipe but i cannot remember why ....cappy
    Obvious cappy, Mary had found out where you were and wanted he leg back.
    Rumor is you paid for the beers with it telling the barman it was from Long John Silver and worth a fortune.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes thomas michael liked this post
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast