Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Another container vessel looses containers overboard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another container vessel looses containers overboard

I believe that container consignment sheets usually say "Said to contain."Having been a stevedore and ships master, I can tell you it is not unusual for containers when opened do not contain what was on consignment note. Also, packed inland and no idea of lashing cargo in container, uneven loading. Had a 40' container in one port where we did not have equipment for 40'containers, so used a lifting beam, When lifted it was one end heavy. When unpacked for delivery, it was found that all light boxes one end, and cases of heavy machinery the other. Also, the weights are often misrepresented and can be many tonnes out, which stuffs the ship'planners calculations for stability. I believe that all containers should have mass certified at wharf gate, and if found to be wrong then certifying company banned from certification. Also ships representative should have the right to open any container to check contents and lashing. Again this should be certified.
    Got questioned by gestapo as regards containers, and on checking with clerks and manifests, found that some containers arriving from East coast would be reassigned before delivery to West Coast and freight paid. Later found from contacts with police that what was happening was containers were being stuffed with stolen goods, and transferred around the country in containers. Great way to keep them safe and secure and away from prying eyes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes , I can agree with all that Mr.Wood has posted. After having has some leaking containers on our ships I started a program of random checking
    the stowage and stuffing of hazardous containers prior each vessel departure. I thought I had previously seen it all but some of the containers were
    shockingly stowed. One in particular I remember contained drums of high hazard ( IMCO class 5 ) stowed in a single tier and one extra which had
    just been put in on the roll on top of the others - no securing and free to move. If this had leaked and mixed with air ..................

Another seperate problem which has already been pointed out is shippers having no idea what happens to their cargo on a ship at sea.
    I used to make a habit of travelling round with the sales people when visiting their customers and taking a short video with me with
    one of our conbulkers in heavy weather N.Atlantic. This usually had the dramatic effect of cutting down on losses after showing them
    how best to secure their cargo. Best example of this was a factory just outside Basel deep in the woods which finished all the
    crankshafts for John Deere tractors. These were stowed 20 to a pallet and just loaded into containers at a rail siding. The pallets were
    so top heavy , I could rock them from side to side by hand , no wonder most did not survive the ocean crossing. It was difficult for their exective
    team to imagine the forces exerted on the containers , being so far away from the sea , and when I showed them the video there was
    stunned silence until we left.
    Last edited by John Cassels; 21st February 2021 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis
    Did you sail on those Bay boats? Like the canmar ship I was on they only seem to go two high on deck but I always was led to believe they were fitted with stabilizers, was this true?
    The canmar job I was on was ex Dart line, built on the Tyne for Charlie hills of Bristol. If we went three high on deck top tier would be emptied or over sized loads on flat beds.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to my neighbor who works cranes on the dock, he tells me.
    When the container is dropped on top of the other the locks are supposed to automatically close.
    But as with any form of automation failures can and do occur.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3