Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another container vessel looses containers overboard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another container vessel looses containers overboard

I know most ships are now managed by accounts and pushed to the limit, but I was lucky. The last words E B Moller said to me at my Masters interview was " Your ship is insured for L500,000 but will cost L2million to replace, so don't loose her".
    I had actually assumed command when master paid off sick, and appointing telegram had 3 pages of 'Dont's', all for safety sake, and I was in charge not charterers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well done Lewis for standing firm.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11.. my attitude Colin was if you are master on a ship and depending on the person you are , your duties are laid out for you. Mine was #
    1 To the life and welfare of ones own crew, and as most of my time as master was in conditions of bad work areas this was always in the forefront of ones mind . I would never coerce a man to do something I would not do myself. #2 was the owners welfare and his profits margin. I have put ships in peril on listening to other so called experts ashore , but if they incurred personal danger to persons , would just say no.
    #3 my biggest self acclaim was coming through the PA with crew intact and breathing . If had lost one man I would have blamed myself. The crewmen That were lost to a certain extent blame myself as was me that called them in and they were the only two apart from 4 off another vessel who got involved closely. Their master died very young and was very upset up until his early death. As regards my time at deep sea I was happier as mate and just doing a pleasurable job without the worry of others mortality so to speak.We all have different quirks , but mine was not the ambition of being at the top of the Xmas tree with that added responsibility. Which was often hit and miss.. To me a shipowner was an employer. And not a friend and this was made apparent on the demise of the British Merchant Navy. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th January 2021 at 09:14 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Tony Taylor, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another maersk vessel has lost containers overboard in the Pacific after loosing propulsion for only a short time.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/maersk-eindhove...of-propulsion/

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a trip on the Atlantic Conveyor. ACL ships only sailed on the North Atlantic so expected bad weather. They have a very good record mainly because they have cell guides on deck to the top of the stow. Shoreside crane drivers don't like them because they have to lift containers to the top of the guide before they can shift it to shore (slower loading/unloading rates if they get a rate bonus). Most owners aren't interested because of longer port stays.

Lewis McColl Guest

Main engine shutdown due to low oil pressure? so what could be a likely cause for low oil pressure. She lost main engine power for 3 to 4 minutes.
    There was no mention that she lost electrical power
    1 Possibly main engine sump level was being kept at the minimum level, heavy weather did she take a heavy roll and main engine oil pump picked up air and lost suction? but then the standby pump should have kicked in.
    2 Main oil filters dirty and not changed over to clean set, or at last change over dirty filters not cleaned and on change over dirty set put back on line?
    3 Danfoss type oil pressure switch malfunction
    4 Doing planned maintenance testing trips and shutdowns someone cocked up?

No doubt someone will get the chop for this one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I watched a TV programme with Richard Hammond featuring one of Maersks container ships.
    The lashings that hold the containers in place are they subjected to any form of test/ inspection?
    Vic

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    I watched a TV programme with Richard Hammond featuring one of Maersks container ships.
    The lashings that hold the containers in place are they subjected to any form of test/ inspection?
    Vic
    In the 'old' days Vic, we had to have certificate for every shackle and wire on board and notated in the Chain Register Book, if I recall we also had a Factories Act Book. Not that the Aussie WWF tended to believe them, no good topping the derricks ready for work as the WWF wouldn't let any work start until they'd checked every shackle, wire, blocks etc corresponded with the item in place, one wrong shackle etc or certificate the whole ship could not work, even if your vessel was straight from the builders yard.

12. Thanks cappy, Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to Splash247.com over 3,000 containers has been lost overboard in the Pacific in the last 79 days. Hell of a lot of containers to lose.
    Vic

Lewis McColl Guest

Over 3000 containers lost in 79 days and that is just the Pacific. I remember when these were introduced they were supposed to be the biggest container ships in the world at that time 2300 x 20 feet containers. 1972 - Containership Tokyo Bay.

OCL.jpg.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 20th February 2021 at 02:50 PM.

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast