Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Shaves .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Close Shaves .

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Forgot to add one that i really will never forget.

That day will live with me forever, remember when they came to rescue as many as they could, i saw so many limbs from under large Sections of Rock, knowing full well that they had perished.
    Yes a sad day indeed, but something that we lived with every day on the Mines and we knew it!

There have been many such accidents over the Years and it will continue, nothing one can do about it.
    Cheers

happily i have never had to go down a mine ......i would not handle that easily .....but needs must sometimes ... it is not something i would be happy at....although there were miners in our family ....indeed my uncle tony out of whitburn colliery telling me they could hear the ships props or engines down that pit.....once on a tanker up the gulf after we had cleaned tanks a couple of us asked permission toswim in the ballast ..the mate sayd no prob....at your own risk ....down we went ...a great relief as it was august time and no air con ......after a day or so one or two others went in from time to time .....a shields man of west indian birth .... george was a good mate ....but could not swim ....i cajoled him put your life jacket on come down it is good for cooling off ...if the ship was rolling it was quite a swell down there ......but black as a nuns habit ......a smart ass came along and dropped the lid .....that was not a good place i could not find the tank entrance in the dark george started to wobble get me out etc ....i was not pleased iether ....after i suppose what seemed like an hour but was probably 5 or 6 minutes an ab opened the lid and we scrambled out ...he was laughing ...i smacked him so hard i thought i had broken his jaw ...george then started kicking the crap out him ....someone on the bridge shouted through a trumpet .to stop george was a gonner ...end of the story of course no more swimming in the tanks .....do recall when coming out being covered often with a sheen of oil etc ....never new of carcigonics in them days ...but it did make me think in latter years R683532
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd January 2021 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had too many to mention here. One or two I was warned by "Security" not to speak about it, not to write about it, "IT NEVER HAPPENED , OR ELSE,"
    or else what?? "JUST OR ELSE" more scary than the event.

Just had the usual ones, Drowning, my mate Ken died. I was saved , Fire on a tanker, Crashing into the Southern Ocean in a helicopter, . Fell 50 feet off a mast etc plus operations in a world tour of hospitals, due to accidents and illness/
    I guess I have been Lucky
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 22nd January 2021 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont forget the visit to the karlgoolie brothel Brian. Or the wench in the Rex hotel. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    Hay Street in Kalgoorlie was a doddle compare to the Rex Hotel in Whitley Bay,
    Never known Fear like it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought you had visited the new super duper one which was open for tourists off the Indian Pacific whilst it stocked up with food. The alternative was the Super Pit. I had the wife with me so you can guess where I went. What were those old cribs like they were always very busy when we were passing. ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the one at the bottom of Hay Street, they do Brothel tours as well,
    SHE would not let me go in.

The starting stalls were at the top end.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi John
    Hay Street in Kalgoorlie was a doddle compare to the Rex Hotel in Whitley Bay,
    Never known Fear like it
    ha ha! nice one, my uncle Paddy (ex RN - CPO) was a barman at the Rex for years (late 50's onwards), still never found out why he moved to the Briardene which was further for him to travel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tony taylor View Post
    ha ha! Nice one, my uncle paddy (ex rn - cpo) was a barman at the rex for years (late 50's onwards), still never found out why he moved to the briardene which was further for him to travel.

probably worn out and needed a rest lol cappy

9. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I lived right behind the Briardene so probably knew your uncle .Probably knew him in the Rex as well. Tony your the one who knew Bill Sabourn ? He bought one of those high rise apartments also behind the pub just before he died. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I lived right behind the Briardene so probably knew your uncle .Probably knew him in the Rex as well. Tony your the one who knew Bill Sabourn ? He bought one of those high rise apartments also behind the pub just before he died. JS
    Yes John, he was my lecturer for heat / thermodynamics and also workshops and machine shop, for three years. Quietly spoken as I recall, but had no problems controlling 20 or so sometimes boisterous characters (more so in the third year when most of us returned from 12 months sea time phase).
    My uncle was Paddy Byrne (Brummy / Irish). When he left the RN he got a job as postie in Whitley Bay (all my mothers side lived there) but he worked nights in those establishments (probably to get away from his nag of a wife), when they came to ours for Sunday lunch he would come down the club with my old man and me then would get earache for the rest of the day for coming back merry.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast