Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Close Shaves .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Close Shaves .

#50 It was sold about six months later after being put back together in Smiths Drydock North Shields. The one Cappy is talking about is the Avonmoor about 1959 with similar damage that cappy did with a chipping hammer when let loose on working his passage home from Australia , where he says he missed his ship by accident. If he"d of hung around a bit longer in the Dockyard in South Shields ( Hawthorne Leslies ) we could of had a lemonade in the pub outside. Dont know how the Cragmoor ever got home without him. But it did and in one piece as well. Maybe because they would not allow him to do any chipping. A mute point as he went on to burn everyones breakfasts in future ships he joined. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well john i certainly never took crap in my life ...in fact to my detriment sometimes ....i should have shut up ...but ego made me shout the odds.....i have made like most many bad mistakes ......but many good choices .....as i grow old .....i remember kicking a bank manager hard up the ass .....when my business needed more capital to help finance the overtrading caused by success...in which he had stated it was people like me borrowing... what they could not afford,,,, that was bringing the country down ...then the ozzies brought the yorkshire bank and gave me up to a hundred grand overdraft ......when i only asked for 40 grand .....the guy who refused me said your machines are all on the knock your property is rented you are at the hilt of your current overdraft you have little security......he then smirked ...as he bent down to pick up his briecase no doubt carrying his sanwiches i could not resist and booted him hard up the ass .....squeaking about assault he shot off .....happily my accountant got me in for a meeting next day with yorkshire bank ...showed them my books and the offer from them was as start to better times for myself and my people ...i look back on my adventures of life from galley boy to retired businessman.....with humour ....memories good and bad ....people good and bad ......friends who i have been lucky to have ....and a family of hard working no nonsense children and grandchildren......but my gentle lady has been my anchor .....so i am ready for the next outcome without fear ps..... any body want to buy a tatty peeler ......not used for many years but still in decent state ....R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    Well john i certainly never took crap in my life ...in fact to my detriment sometimes ....i should have shut up r ps..... any body want to buy a tatty peeler ......not used for many years but still in decent state ....R683532
    hi cappy
    good morning, the struggles you mention, are indeed frustrating when you are on your a**se, i like you went to borrow six hundred pounds because my roof on the first house i bought was shattered the answer was no, same attitude some years later when i went in to ask for ten thousand to buy a whole street of terrace houses with a goverment grant in excess of two hundred thousand pounds for the buyer with a possible forty percent profit on the grants,the answer was no. i watched in the auctions those properties sell for twelve grand,those bank managers with their university degree where the idiots,( i wish i was in business today,) free money from the goverment intrest free no tax, id make a fortune, ( just for something to do )
    anyway read in the paper old tom has been taken to hospital with covids. ( sad )
    and the wifes test come back this morning negative. ( thank god )
    have a good day.
    tom
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd February 2021 at 08:16 AM.

4. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    well john if your gonna do it do it right ...lol how many goldfish did you get for it off the rag and bone man ....cappy
    hi cappy
    it looks like john sabourn is trying to get into that hole maybe he had something to hide.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy
    it looks like john sabourn is trying to get into that hole maybe he had something to hide.
    tom

aye tom i think he was ringbolting old one legged mary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Horse and Groom
    103 East Street
    Southampton
    SO14 3HH

The Horse & Groom was situated at 103 East Street. This pub closed c.1970. The pub was reputed to be the roughest and toughest in the city and was known by seafarers the world over. Among the most memorable features of the pub were two huge stuffed bears,they dominated the lounge bar. Crew from transatlantic liners used to come ashore and head for the pub for a good night out. The result was that fight’s, robberies and sometimes murders were commonplace. In 1959 an American sailor was stabbed to death by one of his shipmates in the Lounge Bar. Later the pub became known as a prostitute and gay pub. The building was demolished and a soft furnishing store now occupies the site.

No doubt many will recall this old Pub, as said it was well known and Rough as Guts inside (By that i mean rough as in Biffo) , spent many a Hectic Hour or so there. But like many others we adapted LOL
    cHEERS So many close shaves there as well! LOL

Fleetwood Arms Dock Street Fleetwood also known as the 'Dripping Dagger'
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd February 2021 at 08:17 AM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the hole where the anchor was it is obvious to see what was going ion here.
    Cappy, being his usual resource full self sold it when the bank would not lend him the money.
    Then with the loose change promised to but JS a beer or two, which was complete fabrication as Cappy never bought any one more than one beer and thta was only under pressure.
    It was for this reason Mayr took her wooden leg and took off.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes cappy, Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#55... The area you are looking at Thomas is under the forecastle head . I had been above this before dropping the anchor and scarpering. Seem to remember when someone took that photo was checking the boxes containing Admiralty stores for use on the outbreak of war. Some of that material was instruments for measuring peoples rotogens to see how much nucleur fallout they had received . They were undamaged . So we were safe once again some hopes. But saved on laborious paperwork with excuses for the loss of. Pity about the anchor , we sailed without it , so some scrap merchant made a few bob. Cheers JS
    R575129

12. Thanks Captain Kong, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PETER, 57
    Fleetwood Arms Dock Street Fleetwood also known as the 'Dripping Dagger'

Clsed down several years ago and is now a Dentist

Brian

Thanks (Given)