Thread: WW2 Atlantic Medal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WW2 Atlantic Medal

Hello Guys, I am hoping someone can help,

A family member served in the Royal artillery in the last war as a gunner on Merchant vessels and did at least one trip to the North Atlantic, the family have just received his WW2 medals after applying for them because he would never send for them whilst he was alive, only to be told he did not do enough sea time in the North Atlantic to qualify for the medal, can anyone throw some light on this situation please and tell us how much sea time was needed, and why one trip was not enough.

Mike

2. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW2 Atlantic Medal

No doubt someone will know. I am not a particular medal enthusiast but do see people inquisitiveness and they have every right to be so. I did an Inert gas course in the 70s , it was a course for commercial business in other words they were selling a product. The course leader was an ex army captain with a DFC and I wondered how he could have an Air Force medal , so I just asked him. He was in the Royal Artillery and during the Korean War had acted as air spotter for the big guns , as easy as that , if you don’t ask you’ll never find out. Good hunting . Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW2 Atlantic Medal

Atlantic Star qualification

Awarded after the Battle of the Atlantic for service between 3rd September 1939 and 8th May 1945 and if the service period was terminated by their death or disability due to service. The qualifying service period for the Atlantic Star could only begin after the 1939-1945 Star had been earned by 6 months' service. A Merchant Seaman had to serve in the Atlantic, home waters, North Russia Convoys or South Atlantic waters.

1939-1945 Star qualification

Awarded for service between 3rd September 1939 and 2nd September 1945 and if the service period was terminated by death or disability due to service. A Merchant Seaman could qualify after 6 months' service with at least one voyage in an operational area.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

6. Likes N/A liked this post