Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: St elmos fire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: St elmos fire

Coming down the Mississippi on a 105000 ton fully laden with grain bulker drawing 40 feet draft, on entering the head of the passes where the river empties into the Gulf, it was like an explosion had occurred under the keel, terrific bang and the whole ship shook like a wet dog shaking itself. The ship was a bit of a wreck so this put the Willie's up us on the bridge and the engine room was on the phone wanting to know what we had hit, everything was working normally and the only person unconcerned was the pilot who said it often occurred and he said he thought it happened when a slug of sea water got trapped under the fresh river water and ships passing through it was akin to a bubble bursting under the ship.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Coming down the Mississippi on a 105000 ton fully laden with grain bulker drawing 40 feet draft, on entering the head of the passes where the river empties into the Gulf, it was like an explosion had occurred under the keel, terrific bang and the whole ship shook like a wet dog shaking itself. The ship was a bit of a wreck so this put the Willie's up us on the bridge and the engine room was on the phone wanting to know what we had hit, everything was working normally and the only person unconcerned was the pilot who said it often occurred and he said he thought it happened when a slug of sea water got trapped under the fresh river water and ships passing through it was akin to a bubble bursting under the ship.
    Rgds
    J.A.

now that is an interesting post ...regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a first trip cadet, coming out of the gulf on a fully laden crude oil tanker, the foremast suddenly discharged static and lightening was running up and down the mast leaving a trail of burnt paint. I was fascinated by it but the mate was crapping himself hoping that the crude oil vapours been given off through the tank vents did not ignite.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a first trip cadet, coming out of the gulf on a fully laden crude oil tanker, the foremast suddenly discharged static and lightening was running up and down the mast leaving a trail of burnt paint. I was fascinated by it but the mate was crapping himself hoping that the crude oil vapours been given off through the tank vents did not ignite.
    Rgds
    J.A.

i think you may have had to come about and pick me up ,,,,,cappy

5. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear All
    I have loved all these posts BUT I am having a lot of problems with this site.
    I have messaged Brian but has not been able to fix the problem. I click on ,"Thread. St Elmo's Fire" Nothing happens. 6 clicks later I can see the messages. Then I want to go to page 2. Same again ; except it was 10 clicks this time. Then page 3 another 6 clicks. Normally I would read all if not most of today's posts. Now I just pick one. I am about to give up on this site and it will break my heart because I love it. The whole thing is so frustrating and time-consuming.
    If anyone has ideas as to how I might solve this problem I would be very grateful. Otherwise I think I will probably have to give up.
    regards
    Brenda

7. Thanks cappy, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Shackleton View Post
    Dear All
    I have loved all these posts BUT I am having a lot of problems with this site.
    I have messaged Brian but has not been able to fix the problem. I click on ,"Thread. St Elmo's Fire" Nothing happens. 6 clicks later I can see the messages. Then I want to go to page 2. Same again ; except it was 10 clicks this time. Then page 3 another 6 clicks. Normally I would read all if not most of today's posts. Now I just pick one. I am about to give up on this site and it will break my heart because I love it. The whole thing is so frustrating and time-consuming.
    If anyone has ideas as to how I might solve this problem I would be very grateful. Otherwise I think I will probably have to give up.
    regards
    Brenda
    brenda i am sorry to hear of your plight .....i send my condolenses as we get so used to just switching on and following ......if you cannot get on correctly ....would it be possible to re register and see if it comes a better scenario ......i always find if i pull allthe plugs on my computer it often sorts out the prob when i switch on again ....but my ist bet would try re register perhaps regards cappy

9. Thanks Brenda Shackleton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rgds
    J.A.
    Yep, when we're young we have different ideas, as a cadet I loved the experience of bad weather, but as 1/m hated it, as could see all my overtime and fresh paint turning into red rust streaks as if we'd done nothing and we know salt water will find any weak spot, but we did have crap paint in those days.

11. Likes Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brenda.
    I was having a lot of trouble which I put down to the old laptop I'm using. I had my name near the log in that I used to just click, then next thing I had three names there, so I started typing my name and log in code every time I logged on, since then it has been OK.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    A day before arriving in New Zealand many years ago, almost a flat calm sea when suddenly the whole ship started vibrating wildly as though the propellor had dropped off, lasted for a couple of minutes before things returning to normal. Heard later the North Island had undergone a serious earthquake on or shortly after the episode at sea. Assumed that the shock waves from the earthquake had spread out to sea . JS
    John, I can assure you that from personal experience an earthquake of any kind in NZ will scare the life out of you.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember my husband Stan Grinham, aka Goolie, telling me about white rainbows, too, and other things he saw at sea.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast