Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cammell Laird

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cammell Laird

From the F. T. the shipyard lost over £37m on th building of the polar research vessel Sir Richard Attenborough.
    Shareholders raised additional funds to prevent the yard from going under.
    The yard is not any danger of folding.
    Vic

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Cammell Laird

£37 million loss. No wonder really when you consider it took 4 years to build. The Koreans would have had that built and in service probably within 6 months. Sad we have fallen that far behind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadly Lewis, not only Lairds but Fergussons on the Clyde have delays on build.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As seen from the glory days, this advertisement for Cammell Laird & Co., Ltd. was obtained from page 20 of Fred T. JANE’S FIGHTING SHIPS 1944/5 reprinted publication of 1971 as edited by Francis E. McMurtrie and produced by the Arco Publishing Company, Inc. at 219 Park Avenue South, New York, N.Y. 10003 with NO copyright notice found.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lewis McColl Guest

I know it was a different era and bog standard class of ships but were the Americans not building Victory class ships in as little as 46 days? I assume that was the hull only but that was nearly 80 years ago.
    Or how about the record number of Rivets set by this fella
    Impressive as these efforts were, a lasting Guinness World Record for riveting was set elsewhere in 1918. In June that year, at the Workman Clark Ltd shipyard in Belfast, John Moir powered through 11,209 rivets in nine hours, almost double Mr Moses’s achievement. His record remains undefeated.

How can we ever hope to compete again in the world of Manufacturing. We are still able to design and compete in several fields worldwide. We have shown the world that in research & development we are still leaders. The last thing Pfizer needed was a successful Covid-19 vaccine from AstraZenca which by all accounts is more user friendly as it can be stored at normal domestic fridge temperatures? I do realise AstraZeneca is a multi national company but it still has it's HQ in the UK and research facilities here the USA and Sweden, but we live in a Global world economy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cammell Lairds best know for building the Arc Royal for the Royal Navy, It also held the distinction of having the first Monarch Q, Elizabeth 2, Launch a ship The Southern Cross. When you consider all the ship building yards the U.K. Had i dont think you could add up the dead weight they built, Not forgetting the tyne of course who i think built more than any other. Memories Memories............................. Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 3rd January 2021 at 07:41 PM.
    {terry scouse}

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Cammell Lairds best know for building the Arc Royal for the Royal Navy, It also held the distinction of having the first Monarch Q, Elizabeth 2, Launch a ship The Southern Cross. When you consider all the ship building yards the U.K. Had i dont think you could add up the dead weight they built, Not forgetting the tyne of course who i think built more than any other. Memories Memories............................. Terry.
    Sorry Terry the Southern Cross was built in Belfast H&W I believe in 1955.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

South Korea is by all accounts the worlds largest ship building country.
    On a visit there couple of years ago I was reliably informed by one local of note that the vehicle building industry began there as just a local one.
    But now one of the most successful of them all.
    White good he told me were also a side line, some where to use up all the scrap metal bits melted down and reused.
    A very industrious nation where the workers work.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Sorry Terry the Southern Cross was built in Belfast H&W I believe in 1955.
    Indeed Lewis one of the best looking Liners of the times, always loved her!

SS Southern Cross (1954) - Wikipedia
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    I know it was a different era and bog standard class of ships but were the Americans not building Victory class ships in as little as 46 days? I assume that was the hull only but that was nearly 80 years ago.
    !942 Liberty ships Lewis, one was built and put into service within 7 days, but the standard time was circa 35/40 days from keel to commission. The USA had the advantage of huge open spaces to build and prefabricate, also virtually an unending supply of labour, including Rosie the Riveter and Wendy the Welder. The British yards could not expand to the extent of USA yards as most were river yards and towns had grown up adjacent and around them. Therefore their choices were limited and most of the UK yards were building naval vessels at that time. The Victory ships started coming off line in late 43, but were a much more complicated vessel than the standard Liberty. The Liberty was an evolved design of the Sunderland Empire vessel, in fact the first Empire vessel was called 'Empire Liberty'. The British Govt financed the first two yards in the USA to specifically build Liberty ships, was known as Reverse Lend Lease, but we don't hear a lot about that.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast