Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mighty Ships

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Luckily Tony I am too old to even consider going back to India, to savour the flavour of the sewers of Bombay and the dead body carts of Calcutta, or whatever they are called these days. I've also surveyed a lot of small ports/creeks on the WC and EC India for various projects, done the 16 hour video bus trips (no other transport) enjoyed (you must be joking) the 12 hour overnight train trips, I ain't in no hurry to get back

John, when people tell me they are expert seamen, I advise them they are experienced seamen and in our business the learning curve never reaches full circle. You can be an expert ship handler, you can be an expert engineer, expert cook etc, but mother nature hasn't used up all her lessons or tricks yet and in the wide ocean she's got plenty of room to test herself.
    Along the same line Ivan, when I had completed my apprenticeship, an old journeyman said to me you may think you know it all but you will still be learning your trade till the day you retire. I never though about it but he was dead right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#30... During my time fortuanetley scientific instruments such as GPS systems made the job much easier. As regards your fish finder not to be sneezed at as the Hollande 1 we found off the Eddystone about 1979 using such.
    When first came out here to live got to know a couple, the husband had a rapidly approaching Alzheimer’s and finished up in a mental ward . Before he got too bad he had been employed in Australia on positioning , and I asked him several queries. Apparently the way it was done before the advent of Buck Rogers , they had various radio transmitters distributed around the area of drilling , this made it necessarry to have the operators to be landed on various islands and reefs. The positioning of the rig was done by radio cross bearings . That is the basic information. I asked him what did he do when sitting on a sand bank just him and his radio , when a cyclone came through, he said he dug a hole and got into it, and the only problem was all the snakes and rats and other life forms did also. He maintained as his thinking was not straight that it was the radio waves were the cause of his problems. He died a number of years ago , and his wife told me he was very violent at the end. With the loss of people like him goes all the knowledge they held personally of that period in time. Cheers JS
    My basic memories if any help, to convert a radio wave to a mercatoral bearing is half Delong x cosine latitude , hows that for memory and didn’t even have to look it up. So please don’t anyone put me in a mental ward for memory loss. JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st January 2021 at 10:48 PM.
    R575129

3. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #19. Asti Asti and Jildi Jildi although Hindi words are now more international. And most seamen know their meaning.JS.
    Not to be confused with jigi jigi I assume.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends which way you look at it John.Asti Asti is easy easy . Jildi Jildi is quickly quickly . so if ever you have misfortune to sail with Indian passengers who say Jildi Jildi when asking for their tea and tabnabs you can either put a spurt on ,or take a harder approach and say chiperow ( probably spelt wrong ) but means hold your tongue. Given course directions is a bit more complicated . But Jildi and Asti were the two most commonly used words on an Indian crewed ship. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Not to be confused with jigi jigi I assume.

Now jigi jig the most known word internationaly by seamen ......LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. But Jildi and Asti were the two most commonly used words on an Indian crewed ship. Cheers JS
    John, in all my years living and working in the Indian sub Continent I never had occasion to use Asti Asti. The use of Jeldi Jeldi was another matter. However living there teaches you not to expect too much from life, the Spanish are rank amateurs with their manana por la manana.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We got our crews from Bombay and when changed in Japan used to wonder how their luggage got through their immigration and port health as most of the Bombay bashers of that fair city must have hitched a ride in their luggage . The owner Chowgule although from Goa preferred to live in Switzerland . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd January 2021 at 10:38 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#30... During my time fortuanetley scientific instruments such as GPS systems made the job much easier. As regards your fish finder not to be sneezed at as the Hollande 1 we found off the Eddystone about 1979 using such.
    When first came out here to live got to know a couple, the husband had a rapidly approaching Alzheimer’s and finished up in a mental ward . Before he got too bad he had been employed in Australia on positioning , and I asked him several queries. Apparently the way it was done before the advent of Buck Rogers , they had various radio transmitters distributed around the area of drilling , this made it necessarry to have the operators to be landed on various islands and reefs. The positioning of the rig was done by radio cross bearings . That is the basic information. I asked him what did he do when sitting on a sand bank just him and his radio , when a cyclone came through, he said he dug a hole and got into it, and the only problem was all the snakes and rats and other life forms did also. He maintained as his thinking was not straight that it was the radio waves were the cause of his problems. He died a number of years ago , and his wife told me he was very violent at the end. With the loss of people like him goes all the knowledge they held personally of that period in time. Cheers JS
    My basic memories if any help, to convert a radio wave to a mercatoral bearing is half Delong x cosine latitude , hows that for memory and didn’t even have to look it up. So please don’t anyone put me in a mental ward for memory loss. JS..
    hi john sabourn
    another wizard of a answer regarding my question on the ( applying for the topography.)
    i already knew of the radio cross bearings for the fix, But it was your statement of towing with the legs off the bottom that really did intrigue me and knowing that before the advent of the gps, then it really was down to working up a fix on radio beacons and chart work and a lot of guess work as much as good seamanship.
    i dont think your old friend in australia was wrong in his assumption that the radio waves where harming him,There is lots of correlation over the years that radio waves from mobile phones are killing people, and that living near a electric sub-station has the same effect, But i dont think it will be proven whilst there is money being made from either of those suspected of being harmful.
    tom

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    Now jigi jig the most known word internationaly by seamen ......LOL
    hi cappy
    what about shufti zubric
    tom