Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cammell Laird

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Cammell Laird

Ivan , the Sunderland boats were they also known as the Sand boats . Yes the USA had all the room in the world to mass produce ships , also they had a big advantage of being able to get a nights sleep and not having to worry about getting bombed out of there homes or going hungry. Still if it had not been for the USA things would have turned out very differently..

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going back to shipbuilding.

Stena Lines is ready to launch its schedule to Belfast / Liverpool with its new ferry the Stena Embla. She is the last of 4 ships ordered and built in Korea for the company.
    Vic

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Sorry Terry the Southern Cross was built in Belfast H&W I believe in 1955.
    Yes i concede Lew, A lot of my posts are from the top of my head i am not always right but i am wrong again, It was the Queen Mother who launched the Arc Royal i got confused with Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Yes i concede Lew, A lot of my posts are from the top of my head i am not always right but i am wrong again, It was the Queen Mother who launched the Arc Royal i got confused with Terry.
    You are not alone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Cammell Lairds best know for building the Arc Royal for the Royal Navy, It also held the distinction of having the first Monarch Q, Elizabeth 2, Launch a ship The Southern Cross. When you consider all the ship building yards the U.K. Had i dont think you could add up the dead weight they built, Not forgetting the tyne of course who i think built more than any other. Memories Memories............................. Terry.
    QE 2 was built on the Clyde

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 1970/80's Austin &Pickersgill of Sunderland were building an SD14 (Shelter deck 14,000 tons) at the rate of one per month. The ships were basically all the same with main machinery of Sulzer make constructed by either NEM or Hawthorne Leslie both on the Tyne. Bear in mind that these engines were delivered by road at that time it was a well organised operation. Accommodation for all vessels was of a standard type "tweaked" to suit the owners requirements, as was the deck machinery, navigational equipment and occasionally size and manufacture of the generating plant. The design and production of this type of vessel was so good and effecient that Austin & Pickersgill along with their associated yard of Bartram's who incidentally launched their vessels directly into the sea at Sunderland South Docks, won the coverted Queens Award to Industry. As a result of this award the entire workforce were presented with a Tankard to commemorate this achievement. UK shipbuilding was not all gloom and doom at this time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin James Young View Post
    In the 1970/80's Austin &Pickersgill of Sunderland were building an SD14 (Shelter deck 14,000 tons) at the rate of one per month. The ships were basically all the same with main machinery of Sulzer make constructed by either NEM or Hawthorne Leslie both on the Tyne. Bear in mind that these engines were delivered by road at that time it was a well organised operation. Accommodation for all vessels was of a standard type "tweaked" to suit the owners requirements, as was the deck machinery, navigational equipment and occasionally size and manufacture of the generating plant. The design and production of this type of vessel was so good and effecient that Austin & Pickersgill along with their associated yard of Bartram's who incidentally launched their vessels directly into the sea at Sunderland South Docks, won the coverted Queens Award to Industry. As a result of this award the entire workforce were presented with a Tankard to commemorate this achievement. UK shipbuilding was not all gloom and doom at this time!
    Colin, that design was so successful that they licensed a couple of other yards to build them I think one in Greece and possibly one in Japan?).
    In 81 I was in that yard almost on a weekly basis, it was very small and quite narrow compared with other yards, it was quite a site seeing large pre fabbed hull sections being manoeuvred round in those quite tight surroundings.
    They sold well till Thatcher literally sold them down the river.
    Ironically, at the yard auction, most of the cranes were bought by a yard in Greece.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are two components in the cost of any item, cost of materials and cost of wages.

Material costs are almost the same world wide, but wages are a different story.
    Countries such as UK, Oz and a few others will never be able to compete with such as Korea or China making such countries the choice when it comes to many goods.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lewis McColl Guest

Korean ship building was on the floor 2 years ago and only survived through government bailouts. They had to cancel construction on many vessels as everyone was being built at a loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2