Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping problems

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipping problems

I see that due to the pandemic the ports are experiencing all sorts of problems. If we leave with no deal from the EU, we may regret not having our own ships and seamen, who knows we may all get a recall, lol, kt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55237791
    R689823

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shipping problems

Handy for the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation to blame Brexit, forget about all the closed factories in China, Taiwan, Korea, and priority shipping of PPE, that had nothing to do with it. No hope of us going back to sea Keith, the unmanned ships will come on stream quicker than the covid vaccine did.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But will the EU give in at the end, I am of the opinion some one is playing Chicken over this.
    No side wants to give in first but one will because the EU need an open border as much as UK does.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The E.U. Was never going to let us leave the club without stirring up problems, We in the UK may well find ourselves paying more for certain goods especially food products, That we import from the E.U But i am confident that it wont last forever, We want our Sovereignty back and control of our own destiny, Make our own laws, Trade with who we want, Give the fishing industry the boost it so desperately needs by fishing our own waters unrestricted by E.U. Claptrap, We may be in for a bad ride for a while, But have we not been there before. Two German companies who supply a lot of foodstuffs to G.B. Liddle and Aldi, Are reputed each to be earning in excess of 90 million Euros profit from Britain a year. Dont think for one minute that is going to stop, The problem we have as i see it is distribution of goods from ship to shore, Now that may cause problems but who do you blame for that if as it is looking we walk away without the oven ready deal this government put in place and reassured us all every thing would be just fine seems to have had the oven pinched. And obviously was never prepared in the first place Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, the biggest player will have the last word in the end MONEY!!, we are not going to be bullied by France and Germany, the rest of Europe are small players, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How did we manage before we joined the Common Market, as it was then.
    We travelled freely on the continent despite passport controls at every border, we coped and having no border controls has certainly contributed to terrorist activity
    If I recall correctly, it was France that stopped us joining initially and still objected on the second attempt; now they want to stop us leaving, why? because they are afraid of what will happen afterwards, to them primarily.
    As usual, they hang on the German coat tails.

When we were in the EU, they dictated who we could trade with and what we traded, e.g. Belgium did 3 or 4 times more trade with India than the UK, despite our historical ties.
    Look how much of our manufacturing industry has been syphoned away to other parts of Europe, look how many other member states have found backdoor ways to subsidise their industry e.g. Germany and Italy - shipbuilding. There are many others prepared to only stick with the regulations that suit them, and turn a blind eye to the ones that don't suit them (undersize fish landed in Spain under the very nose of officials standing watching).
    My current employer has traded successfully all over the world, but the most difficult place to win work was France, all down to their protectionist attitude to home companies. We were successful though despite this as no one in France could manufacture what we did.
    I am stopping now before I run out space, free trade what a load of b****cks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 Both Lidl and Aldi (each owned by fighting brothers) are each set to open over 100 stores in the UK within 24 months, those plans are not going to change, neither is Mercedes going to lose its second biggest export country, after the USA, Merc are now selling more cars than they ever did in the UK with the 'A' class taking sales away from Ford and Vauxhall, the latter now French owned, The VW group Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda, Bentley have large interests in the UK, as have BMW, if the Govts of the 27 EU countries think they are going to curtail the export of these motor manufacturers products by excessive tariffs, they are probably barking up the wrong tree, politicians come and go, market forces stay and motor manufacturers have a large lobby and certainly will protect their markets with the Chinese knocking at the UK door.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 11th December 2020 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    How did we manage before we joined the Common Market, as it was then.
    We travelled freely on the continent despite passport controls at every border, we coped and having no border controls has certainly contributed to terrorist activity
    If I recall correctly, it was France that stopped us joining initially and still objected on the second attempt; now they want to stop us leaving, why? because they are afraid of what will happen afterwards, to them primarily.
    As usual, they hang on the German coat tails.

When we were in the EU, they dictated who we could trade with and what we traded, e.g. Belgium did 3 or 4 times more trade with India than the UK, despite our historical ties.
    Look how much of our manufacturing industry has been syphoned away to other parts of Europe, look how many other member states have found backdoor ways to subsidise their industry e.g. Germany and Italy - shipbuilding. There are many others prepared to only stick with the regulations that suit them, and turn a blind eye to the ones that don't suit them (undersize fish landed in Spain under the very nose of officials standing watching).
    My current employer has traded successfully all over the world, but the most difficult place to win work was France, all down to their protectionist attitude to home companies. We were successful though despite this as no one in France could manufacture what we did.
    I am stopping now before I run out space, free trade what a load of b****cks
    hi tony
    your words i cannot add much to, except ive always considered the german race to be the rottweiler of europe, and the french the poodle, and as the lowly french are always running behind the germans and licking their balls, i always see no other position in europe except for master and servant, in their case, thank god we are about to retain our sovereignty after the 31st dec 2020
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    The E.U. Was never going to let us leave the club without stirring up problems, We in the UK may well find ourselves paying more for certain goods especially food products, That we import from the E.U But i am confident that it wont last forever, We want our Sovereignty back and control of our own destiny, Make our own laws, Trade with who we want, Give the fishing industry the boost it so desperately needs by fishing our own waters unrestricted by E.U. Claptrap, We may be in for a bad ride for a while, But have we not been there before. Two German companies who supply a lot of foodstuffs to G.B. Liddle and Aldi, Are reputed each to be earning in excess of 90 million Euros profit from Britain a year. Dont think for one minute that is going to stop, The problem we have as i see it is distribution of goods from ship to shore, Now that may cause problems but who do you blame for that if as it is looking we walk away without the oven ready deal this government put in place and reassured us all every thing would be just fine seems to have had the oven pinched. And obviously was never prepared in the first place Terry.
    hi red lead
    the Eu places upto seventy six percent import tarifs on new zealand lamb products.we have signed a free trade deal with new zealand and guess what we will pay no more for our lamb but less, just like we did before joining the german super state.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is another example of French protectionism, I was involved personally in this one.
    The material we manufacture is used extensively in oil/ gas industries, offshore and marine.
    Because of the environment we need to have good flame retardant properties.
    As such we had a British Standard Class O for low smoke and very low toxicity and very low spread of flame, also approved by Lloyds for use inside and outside on ships and offshore platforms, also tested and approved to IMO standards.
    These standards are to be accepted across the EU and generally are, except France.
    We bid a job in France before 2010 but were knocked back because we did not have a French qualification.
    We then went out and had it tested to their requirements by an internationally recognised test house (Warrington Fire) and they still rejected it because -"it want tested in a French lab".
    They would not back off until we threatened a complaint to EC authorities. These tests are not cheap and cost us thousands of pounds not including the cost in time and effort by our staff..

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast