Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Containers lost overboard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Containers lost overboard

It has been mentioned before about the number of containers lost overboard, causing a hazard to shipping. Now it seems that a container ship in the Pacific could have lost a record number of containers overboard.
    https://theloadstar.com/one-apus-sta...e-mol-comfort/
    Rgds
    J.A.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Containers lost overboard

I wonder if the IMO Safety Committee will now revise, or rescind the rules recently introduced which allows container vessels to use less lashings on ocean and coastal passages. Would be better if they insisted that all new vessels had to install transverse container bridge slots along the decks, which would reduce capacity but increase safety whilst lashing/unlashing and also minimise risk of loss at sea, as neighbourhood transverse and longitudinal compact/compress stresses would be reduced, because the bridges isolate transverse tiers of containers from the next transverse tier, whereas now,apart from the 24000 class most containers are connected to each other both transversely and longitudinally, one tier fails and other tiers are affected, transverse bridges prevent this.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 3rd December 2020 at 12:11 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Colin Wood, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now we know why there are no Christmas gifts in the shops.
    All at the bottom of the bloody ocean.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There’s one good thing only about a container going over the side , it doesn’t have a life expectancy of 3 minutes in unfavourable climes .JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John #5 As you said better a container than a crew man. In the early days of North Sea exploration, it took sometime for the penny to drop that things with wheels, even lashed down was not a good idea. The sea bed from Great Yarmouth to the gas fields is littered with mobile air compressors and welding sets. When they broke loose you couldn't risk a mans life they were last seen going over the stern. Someone came up with the idea no wheels they were mounted on skids. The same with bulk chemicals lashed to pallets on the open deck, in heavy seas washing up the deck a lot was ruined. A container came on the scene with sealed doors to solve the problem.
    Last edited by Bill Morrison; 4th December 2020 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6. I was late in life going into the North Sea , Bill, turned 40 , and did my time as mate on deck at the time. That one tugger’ wire had an awful lot of weight to carry. One of the worse things to secure was the empty skips going out to the installation. Securing things permanently to the deck was defeating yourself as had to be burned off at location and trying to do that in any sort of weather was a no no. It was the old tugger wire and that was it. Cheers JS...
    I soon learned what weather was capable of if I hadn’t before and the difference between a supply vessel and all others. One time on. Shell charter a well known skipper you know didn’t want to sail as knew the weather was too bad, however shell insisted , we sailed and just outside the piers in Aberdeen he said to me go and slack off a foot on one of the Tuggers, we came back in with the cargo all over the place and had to be restowed . When you deal with shore people you are dealing with ignoramus”s and ne”er the twain should meet. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th December 2020 at 11:44 PM.
    R575129

9. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you read about all those containers going overboard, makes you wonder, are they losing more cargo this way than the pilfering that went on in the old days, which was one of the given reasons to change to containers.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I worked for Saguenay Shipping of Montreal we used to carry a lot of containers down the hold . Loading in Quebec there was always a lot of pilferage one time looking down the hold actually saw a container being broken into .Not thinking straight I was in the process of going down the hatch. A stevedore stopped me and advised me not to. He showed me his warrant card and was a Mountie working under cover and had been for years . He said you would not of come out of the hold alive, and those seen stealing would be picked up later by armed. Police officers. Containers are not immune to pilferage far from it. Cheers JS

PS however when you think about it they are ideal for other forms of transport by road or rail to the consignees , to the thief on a ship they are ideal if the thief knows the contents of these boxes. It is in most cases this is kept quite much to the deterrence of the ship and for stability calculations and fire hazards. However once again it all boils down to costings . Think containers are here to stay. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th December 2020 at 02:31 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My neighbor showed me a video of containers hanging over the side being unloaded in an EU port.

These could not be taken off in the manner I describe in an earlier post.
    So a barge was brought along side and the lashings cut, the containers then droped into the barge.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #6. I was late in life going into the North Sea When you deal with shore people you are dealing with ignoramus”s and ne”er the twain should meet. JS.
    Hi John. If I read this right the skipper was M.R. and it was just before Christmas Day. Shell were clearing all the vessels out of Torry so they had a clear run for the office staff over the festive days.
    I have just checked my Dis Ch. book December 1978 so if the date corresponds with your book our paths have crossed.
    Bill
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 8th December 2020 at 05:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast